Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i thought it was good. no prior exposure to the books. i do agree with others that probably to reach its full potential a mini series type format would have been best, both to explain stuff more deeply and to make certain events hit harder

What did you think of the characters?

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did find it weird that the emperor asked them to take over just so he could wipe them out, hope that is explained properly unless i missed it

and is Brolins character presumed dead, i laughed at how militant and loyal he was at protecting his Duke Leto at all times

the Baron mentions that arrakis has no satellites so they can wipe out the Atreides there with none of the other houses getting wise to what really went down. Plus they got them out if their comfort zone and into a new situation and gave them no time to set up shop before they rolled up on them.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think as a writer, if this is an anti-white savior story, it's not coming across yet. It shouldn't take 3 movies to get that point. It's also a convenient way to shrug off criticism about how, regardless of its intent, it ultimately centers a white man, sets up a Black antagonist to be fought and defeated in order to gain legitimacy, and then follows his journey to embracing power. It's still focused on him and it's shot in a way that seeks to engender empathy no matter what he ends up doing. It's fine, like I said, I'm digging it, but a real anti-white savior story wouldn't focus so much on the savior in the first place.

I haven’t read the whole series(still on dune messiah) , but pretty much the first book is pretty heavy with the trope’y “savor complex”. The rest of the series pushes back on that in comparison. Most of caution surrounding the “messiah” themes and influence comes from Paul himself, as his abilities become more prominent and starts to notice the consequences of his actions. That’s one sequence (the tent scene) in the film they should’ve let breathe and turn down the score cause it’s seems confusing.

I don’t think the book is as heavy with the white savor, but the film was really overt with the casting choices (especially Jamis and the extras ) so I see how everyone will interpret it that way.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
OK, this is definitely raising my interest in the book. In terms of language and worldbuilding is it a difficult/tedious read? My rating scale for difficult/tedious is:
1- (easy language and world-building)- (Stephen King)
3- (slightly more complex language and complicated worldbuilding)- (George R. R. Martin)
5- (fairly involved/new languages & complex world-building)- (Tolkien)
10- (dense, antiquated, and sometimes abstract language & fairly involved and at times inaccessible world-building - (H.P. Lovecraft & Kurt Vonnegut).

I could do 1 through 5 yes but I definitely don't fw Lovecraft for those reasons, I know it's part of the charm but still

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it in IMAX finally. Kinda feels a bit underwhelming since it’s obviously part 1 and I’ve read the first book already so a lot the major plot points were in step with the book. The gom jabbar scene had me the most hyped and liked the combat and action sequences.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
did find it weird that the emperor asked them to take over just so he could wipe them out, hope that is explained properly unless i missed it

and is Brolins character presumed dead, i laughed at how militant and loyal he was at protecting his Duke Leto at all times

They didn't really go much into it but the emperor is envious and spiteful. House Atreidies is popular among the other houses, they're known to be honorable and loyal. Also Atreides soldiers are rumored to be just as good as the emperor's sadukar. The Baron rightly guessed that him giving them Arrakis was a trap for them to fail. "When is a gift not a gift? When it's a trap"

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just came back from seeing this in IMAX, visuals did not disappoint :wow:

There are a number of scenes that really pop on the screen, really liked the design of the helicopters they were flying in :ehh:

The image of the Baron :picard:

What impressed me the most, might have been the sound design. Especially whenever the witches/Paul used those voice commands :whoo:

Also liked the use of sign language.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
IM NOT FAMILAR WITH THE BOOK
NOR PREVIOUS MOVIE
BUT ALL THESE COLORED PPL
CALLING THIS SNOW WHITE BOY
THE MESSIAH IS HILARIOUSLY BAD.

THEN HE KILLS THE DARKEST
nikka IN THE MOVIE AS HIS
COMING OF AGE PARTY.

MID WAY THROUGH THE MOVIE
I REALIZED THIS 2 HR & 35 MINUTE MOVIE
WAS JUST SETTING UP A SEQUEL.
:devil:
:evil:
The "part one" opening title card wasn't enough?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
What did you think of the characters?
unfortunately i dont think they were fleshed out nearly as much as they could have been. the way HBO has been hitting with their mini series and series lately they could have had a game changer with this but i think they were shooting for a money grab with a big blockbuster

honestly i think your review was pretty solid. i maybe wasnt overall as down on it as you but i cant argue against your major points
Movie was a lot of sizzle with no steak. It's visually impressive but has no soul.

I didn't care about a single character. Either the movie didn't spend enough time with them or they felt dry. I didn't find anything that made we want to root for the protagonist. He's just not interesting and I wasn't impressed with the performance. I definitely found no reason to give a damn about House Atreides. The whole Spice thing and the conflict around it just didn't resonate. The villains were forgettable. Even the worm was just whatever.

There's just nothing there to connect with. It felt like a story with a bunch of lore that they didn't have enough time to explain despite being 2.5 hours. It just plodded along and I was waiting for it to end halfway into it.

Visuals only get you so far. I came in hoping to get a great story that would bring me into this franchise. The sequel comes out I'll probably pass.

6.5/10 :unimpressed:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
9/10 movie for me, saw it in IMAX, imo it makes the difference with movies that are visual and audio spectacles. Movie is dialogue heavy but the action scenes, ESPECIALLY the ambush scene at night are suburb. Not sure why some of y’all hate it or think it is trash.

Daps
I watched this with my boys.

Shyt was so boring. Characters talking too low. So much shyt was unexplained. And the ending was so bad we legit laughed out loud. That shyt just ENDED. He kills a random black guy and the credits role? Like what?!?! I can't imagine paying for this.

Visuals only mean so much when the actual movie isn't entertaining.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Movie did the book justice, had me remembering why I absolutely loved it when I read it almost a decade ago:wow:

It was PIFF from begining to end :whew:

Like someone predicted earlier in the thread, its the definitive version of Dune. Denis did an incredible job - visually its stunning but it also has alot of soul. He portrayed the spirit of the characters really well.

10/10
Yessir, I agree with this review whole heartedly