Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just got back from this. Loved it. Maybe it's not for everyone but Denis nailed the aesthetic and I really hope he does a Part 2. You can see where Paul's story is headed but I want to see it fully realized. I never read the books and wasn't a big fan of the Lynch version but this solidified Denis as one of my favorite directors

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
They should have started the movie off explaining wtf is going on/background history. I had to read up plot summaries before I really got into it because I was lost within the first 10 mins.

IMO they did spend a lot of time explaining what was going on at the beginning, but didn't explain it in a way that a newcomer could understand.

I just remember feeling like I was given a lecture and then once the movie actually started that information didn't even become relevant or come together until after a hour in. :francis:

Explain things as they come

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Read Dune as a kid and then again in college. I truly felt it was un-filmable. Dune is probably the most influential sci fi book ever, next to Starship Troopers, but all the noteworthy shyt it did is just too “out there” for audiences. Space travel is a lot more digestible when you just push the lever on the Millennium Falcon and that’s that.

So to see the book get brought to life like this…I’m amazed and impressed. The audience I watched it with def enjoyed it and some people clapped at the end. The pacing is great, visuals are amazing, and it nails the characters. Even the more complex stuff seemed to be digestible enough for people.

I really hope this is a success. Denis said the studio told him part two is happening as long as the movie isn’t a complete failure. Let’s go…

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Thought it was amazing, had to pause it at one point for a bathroom break and was shocked it was only 20 min left. Guess I got totally immersed. Cinematography was amazing and the story was fleshed out enough for me to get the gist despite coming in blind.

I do have two questions tho….
Was that the ecologist riding the worm at the end? I also didn’t get why they asked her if she was fremon….when she had blue eyes

also am I tripping or did they NOT ever show the emperor?
does the emperor know Paul is the messiah, don’t really get why he wanted his family dead. Seemed like they were chilling on their Ireland planet minding their business before being assigned to the spice mines

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
saw it last night and thought it was good...definitely gonna have to rewatch on Max due to interruptions and I want to piece things together more

plus why have an OLED & not put it to the test :blessed:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
@Lootpack The one thing on reflection that jumps out is that he didn't emphasize how important the spice is to each faction, he basically just stuck to it's importance to travel. Every class from Mentat to Witch should have gotten at least a cursory overview & it doesn't come off plodding exposition, instead it highlights the value of this wonder element and how it ties an entire Empire together.

If you came in blind, all you see are moving pieces without motivation or direction & that's what you're hearing in common from the complaints.

How do you have an entire Dune movie...and nobody says "the spice must flow" even once? :patrice:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Just coming back from the theater.

The cinematography :wow: :wow:

The scope :ohlawd:

As someone who never gave the books a shot (just didn't feel like reading those huge volumes, and I'm someone that read at least LOTR and ASOIAF), this was a great watch, though it had some missteps and I can only imagine how much subtleties and characters were rushed or scrapped from the source material.

The weakest part was Timothy as Paul. Never been that big of a fan of Chamalet, but his lack of emoting was glaring in this one and it ended up being funny when that was not the reaction the movie was trying to get out of me. Lady Jessica's went a little hard with the overacting but it didn't bother me that much.

The set pieces were fukking incredible. Dennis Villegawd indeed :blessed:
My main gripe with these new young actors is that they all look they’re still waiting for puberty to kick in and they lack charisma. They couldn’t give that nikka sandwich and a weight set? Just look at Tom Holland in that Uncharted trailer. He’s not believable in that role without superpowers. nikka spent the whole trailer looking like he was late for 5th period.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
The real irony is that Dune is a cautionary tale about charismatic leaders like Paul. Paul is not a hero and not a villain though he does both good and bad things. Even in this film he discusses with Jessica with what his rise to power leads to (intergalactic war and millions/billions of deaths). He isn't really a savior, though he "appears" in some ways to be through the first half of the book, he uses the native population and culture for his own means and goals.

I think as a writer, if this is an anti-white savior story, it's not coming across yet. It shouldn't take 3 movies to get that point. It's also a convenient way to shrug off criticism about how, regardless of its intent, it ultimately centers a white man, sets up a Black antagonist to be fought and defeated in order to gain legitimacy, and then follows his journey to embracing power. It's still focused on him and it's shot in a way that seeks to engender empathy no matter what he ends up doing. It's fine, like I said, I'm digging it, but a real anti-white savior story wouldn't focus so much on the savior in the first place.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Question, if Spice is needed for space travel how did the folks get there to get the spice to begin with?

Also what do sand worms eat?