Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Went to see this with a chick last night just based on the ratings and because I haven't seen a good Sci fi in a while... I'm not familiar with Dune at all.

We both left not knowing wtf we just watched... it seemed like a good movie but I just didn't really know what was going on. Seems like a better fit for a TV series like another breh said. I gotta watch it again before I give a rating
I had to read different articles and start the movie over twice. Once I got it, I was cool.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
This is BLACK forum. If you don't like your movie discussions to broach topics related to race and the way racial tropes are COMMONLY overused in cinema, maybe you need to find a whiter film community. They tend to loathe these kind of critiques about race in film as well. As for me, I went to see a movie so I'm gonna fukking discuss it the way I fukking want to and if I see racial themes and racist tropes I'm gonna talk about it just like everything else. Your point about the source material being dated only raises the likelihood the trope was definitely a part of the story.
The real irony is that Dune is a cautionary tale about charismatic leaders like Paul. Paul is not a hero and not a villain though he does both good and bad things. Even in this film he discusses with Jessica with what his rise to power leads to (intergalactic war and millions/billions of deaths). He isn't really a savior, though he "appears" in some ways to be through the first half of the book, he uses the native population and culture for his own means and goals.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie was a lot of sizzle with no steak. It's visually impressive but has no soul.

I didn't care about a single character. Either the movie didn't spend enough time with them or they felt dry. I didn't find anything that made me want to root for the protagonist. He's just not interesting and I wasn't impressed with the performance. I definitely found no reason to give a damn about House Atreides. The whole Spice thing and the conflict around it just didn't resonate. The villains were forgettable. Even the worm was just whatever.

There's just nothing there to connect with. It felt like a story with a bunch of lore that they didn't have enough time to explain despite being 2.5 hours. It just plodded along and I was waiting for it to end halfway into it.

Visuals only get you so far. I came in hoping to get a great story that would bring me into this franchise. The sequel comes out I'll probably pass.

6.5/10 :unimpressed:

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Movie was a lot of sizzle with no steak. It's visually impressive but has no soul.

I didn't care about a single character. Either the movie didn't spend enough time with them or they felt dry. I didn't find anything that made we want to root for the protagonist. He's just not interesting and I wasn't impressed with the performance. I definitely found no reason to give a damn about House Atreides. The whole Spice thing and the conflict around it just didn't resonate. The villains were forgettable. Even the worm was just whatever.

There's just nothing there to connect with. It felt like a story with a bunch of lore that they didn't have enough time to explain despite being 2.5 hours. It just plodded along and I was waiting for it to end and halfway into it.

Visuals only get your so far. I came in hoping to get a great story that would bring me into this franchise. The sequel comes out I'll probably pass.

6.5/10 :unimpressed:
dont tell me this :wow: i thought this would bring back sci fi space operas :mjcry:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
dont tell me this :wow: i thought this would bring back sci fi space operas :mjcry:
I personally can't fathom any sci-fi fan not absolutely loving this movie but of course everyone has their own opinions. Denis does just throw you into the world and doesn't explain a ton of things, so I think even cursory knowledge of the book is helpful. It's quite evident Denis was forced to cut quite a few scenes by the studio to reduce the runtime. But I personally like films that don't completely explain every single thing hand holding the audience.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think the movie was very good, but it does have its flaws. I think it did a great job at capturing the scape of the world(s). Where it does fail is that it doesn't capture the characters much.

Dune is part political, part cultural, part religious...light on action. There's a lot of putting the pieces in play. I don't think the movie set up the political angle as much...or the mythology. As boring as it is, is still a huge chunk of it and in doing so, they omitted a lot of what makes characters interesting. They didn't explain the Mentat at all...and breezed over the cultures.

The book is considered "unfilmable" because it's hard to find the right balance to make it interesting. I'm a fan of the '84 version. They use a lot of narration, and plays it campy, but it makes it entertaining. The Sy-FY mini tries to mix everything, but it just looks cheap. It's early 2000 Sy-FY Channel...when it was Sci-Fi.

Overall, I hope Part 2 gets made...and Children of Dune.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never even heard of Dune before seeing the trailer. The movie was amazing. The white cac was swagging on godly levels. Can only imagine the flexing he going to be on in the sequel. WB would be retarded to not greenlight a sequel. Duncan Idaho was swagging on them. Almost shed a tear when he died :mjcry:

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Maybe you'll get what you're looking for with the cinematography:ld:

No one can tell me the main character wasn't boring though. I don't see how you can build a franchise with him. I'm real interested to see what the week 2 box office looks like because I don't see them making enough profit to warrant a sequel.

Another thing is why cast all these actors and not give them a chance a shine? Oscar and Brolin especially felt wasted.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Re-watched the 1st 30-40 minutes on Max. I will say it’s much better once you understand what’s happening. Plus at home you can stop/rewind a part.