LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
@Lootpack The one thing on reflection that jumps out is that he didn't emphasize how important the spice is to each faction, he basically just stuck to it's importance to travel. Every class from Mentat to Witch should have gotten at least a cursory overview & it doesn't come off plodding exposition, instead it highlights the value of this wonder element and how it ties an entire Empire together.

If you came in blind, all you see are moving pieces without motivation or direction & that's what you're hearing in common from the complaints.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Just coming back from the theater.

The cinematography :wow: :wow:

The scope :ohlawd:

As someone who never gave the books a shot (just didn't feel like reading those huge volumes, and I'm someone that read at least LOTR and ASOIAF), this was a great watch, though it had some missteps and I can only imagine how much subtleties and characters were rushed or scrapped from the source material.

The weakest part was Timothy as Paul. Never been that big of a fan of Chamalet, but his lack of emoting was glaring in this one and it ended up being funny when that was not the reaction the movie was trying to get out of me. Lady Jessica's went a little hard with the overacting but it didn't bother me that much.

The set pieces were fukking incredible. Dennis Villegawd indeed :blessed:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I think the movie was very good, but it does have its flaws. I think it did a great job at capturing the scape of the world(s). Where it does fail is that it doesn't capture the characters much.

Dune is part political, part cultural, part religious...light on action. There's a lot of putting the pieces in play. I don't think the movie set up the political angle as much...or the mythology. As boring as it is, is still a huge chunk of it and in doing so, they omitted a lot of what makes characters interesting. They didn't explain the Mentat at all...and breezed over the cultures.

The book is considered "unfilmable" because it's hard to find the right balance to make it interesting. I'm a fan of the '84 version. They use a lot of narration, and plays it campy, but it makes it entertaining. The Sy-FY mini tries to mix everything, but it just looks cheap. It's early 2000 Sy-FY Channel...when it was Sci-Fi.

Overall, I hope Part 2 gets made...and Children of Dune.
I'd have to agree. they was proly scared to flesh out the character cuz then it would be dialogue heavy and people got EXTRA short attention spans these days. I hope foundations doesnt get chopped. these type movie and shows with these grand ideas and worlds need to be allowed time to world build and establish shyt.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I'd have to agree. they was proly scared to flesh out the character cuz then it would be dialogue heavy and people got EXTRA short attention spans these days. I hope foundations doesnt get chopped. these type movie and shows with these grand ideas and worlds need to be allowed time to world build and establish shyt.
I actually liked the dialog scenes more than the action :yeshrug:
But yeah they need to pour money into this :wow:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I’m suprised reading some of the comments in here
I haven’t read the books at all and knew nothing about this world but I was pretty immersed
They only thing I knew was that it was part 1 so I guess I expected a lot of setup and a cliffhanger ending but I’ll happily watch part 2

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Denis had to cut quite a few scenes to keep this under 3hrs. I understand people wanted more but we’re honestly lucky the studio even let him make this, he had to play ball. If this does well hopefully they give him more leeway in part 2.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
This is BLACK forum. If you don't like your movie discussions to broach topics related to race and the way racial tropes are COMMONLY overused in cinema, maybe you need to find a whiter film community. They tend to loathe these kind of critiques about race in film as well. As for me, I went to see a movie so I'm gonna fukking discuss it the way I fukking want to and if I see racial themes and racist tropes I'm gonna talk about it just like everything else. Your point about the source material being dated only raises the likelihood the trope was definitely a part of the story.
:whew::whew::whew:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
@Lootpack The one thing on reflection that jumps out is that he didn't emphasize how important the spice is to each faction, he basically just stuck to it's importance to travel. Every class from Mentat to Witch should have gotten at least a cursory overview & it doesn't come off plodding exposition, instead it highlights the value of this wonder element and how it ties an entire Empire together.

If you came in blind, all you see are moving pieces without motivation or direction & that's what you're hearing in common from the complaints.

That's the main problem I have with it. While I do hate when movies overexplain, Dune has such a complex mythology and motivation by the different factions/characters that a little exposition is needed, here and there.