calh45

Cal
Daps
Saw it on Monday at a pre-screener in SF, IMAX is definitely the way to watch this :wow:

Visually it's incredible. Story-wise... most of my criticisms have to do with the original source material more than the film itself, but the film also made some "interesting" casting choices that both play-up and subvert the white saviorism of the book. Fans of the books would probably say that the eventual jihad plotline subverts the white savior trope but it really doesn't for more reasons than I care to go into.

Villeneuve himself claims that he made the opposite of a white savior flick... After watching, not quite sure I agree with that :patrice:
I don't believe him. All of the fremen are all folks of color/different ethnicity at the very least. It was very OBVIOUS when you're watching it.

Great film. I loved how it wasn’t crazy action packed and the cinematography may be the best of this year.
If Disney gave him Star Wars and got the fukk outta the way........

:whoo::ohlawd::banderas:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Very weak movie in terms of keeping attention.

I will be very surprised if a part 2 of this is greenlit.....can't see how this can even make a profit

It's official.....this is his worst movie

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

I will be very surprised if a part 2 of this is greenlit.....can't see how this can even make a profit

This is exactly what I expected from Denis, credit due to the DP and Oscar Isaac.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas

I honestly couldn't keep attention and didn't know what the plot was. I saw a whining cac and a bedwench with blue eyes imagining each other then drifted off.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I honestly couldn't keep attention and didn't know what the plot was. I saw a whining cac and a bedwench with blue eyes imagining each other then drifted off.

A 6-8 part mini series on HBO....maybe

Imagine considering looking at this for a 2nd viewing?

The action was weak...the dialog was weak....and the casting was weak...and the story boring.....wow

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps

WB already basically said part 2 was getting made. When I bought tickets for IMAX this weekend almost every showing was sold out and I bought tickets like a week ago. They even said they didn’t care about the box office just how it performs on HBO max. And there’s no way in hell this is worse than enemy.

Travelnomad

Banned
Daps
Yes! The entire white savior trope kept popping up in my head throughout the movie but then they would do something with a POC (probably to distract or attempt to subvert the trope). I kept thinking maybe I'm harping on race too much because there were so many characters of color, but you're right. Honestly, this is something that's been bugging me for awhile. Directors seems to be self-aware enough of the white savior critique, so to mitigate any questions, they cast a lot of POCs in supporting roles with various degrees of power too, but never too much in relation to the hero. They think that's enough but it's still the same. Maybe it's even worse because he's now leading and validated by the POCs around him. I also have noticed in recent years, the way they cast Black folks as the bureaucratic roadblock or authoritative opposition to be overcome. It's a weird paradox. It diversified the movie but puts Black folks in roles that are clearly meant to be antagonistic in relation to the hero. It's getting annoying. I tried to put it aside but im glad someone else noticed.

everything you said was spot on , word for word . At first I thought I was harping on race a bit too much , but as the movie went on , it was literally the “ white savior “ mentality .

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
I swear y’all use the white savior complaint for every fukin movie that has this. Guess what maybe that’s just the fukin story. This story was written before any of you or myself were even alive. Get over it. Don’t like it turn the shyt off. Get over ya selves go watch movies where only ppl of color defeat the big bad evil white man. A good movie is a good movie. Idc if I see white ppl get slaughtered up by Asians or latins or a black dude. But this is so fukin boring to hear every other thread.