NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I enjoyed this way more than I did the first Dune movie, then again, I was only 10 years old when my parents took me to see the first one and all remembered was that it was 3 hours long and I wanted to pee lol.

This movie really did a great job of making me care about the characters. It kinda makes me want to read the book but if it's half as involved as the movie, I'm not sure I have the patience for it right now. This could have been edited better for a tighter viewing time. I also thought the score was a little overbearing at times. Some restraint on the sound and slow-motion would have gone a long way.

I do think this would have been much better as a series on HBOMax. They could have really racked up viewers, endorsements, and awards if they had invested in it for that format. As long as it was, I still felt like they were pushing to wrap things up and things were skimmed over. But overall, I found it entertaining and interesting. It was also kinda fun to think about how many other movies and stories were spawned from this one. It would make a fun drinking game. I know I spotted pieces of Star Wars, Alien/Aliens, and The Matrix. There's probably way more.

Anyway, definitely two thumbs up for me, looking forward to the second part. 8/10 because it's still too damn long.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I just watched this last night and went to check reviews to see if my thoughts were shared— and they were. Great visuals. They definitely have my future viewership. But this needed to be a high budget weekly show. The politics and characters need to be fleshed out over multiple episodes. The story is just far too dense for the silver screen.
This is the reason that I'm ecstatic that Sandman is finally arriving as a multi season show and not a few movies which Hollywood attempted numerous times
I enjoyed this way more than I did the first Dune movie, then again, I was only 10 years old when my parents took me to see the first one and all remembered was that it was 3 hours long and I wanted to pee lol.

This movie really did a great job of making me care about the characters. It kinda makes me want to read the book but if it's half as involved as the movie, I'm not sure I have the patience for it right now. This could have been edited better for a tighter viewing time. I also thought the score was a little overbearing at times. Some restraint on the sound and slow-motion would have gone a long way.

I do think this would have been much better as a series on HBOMax. They could have really racked up viewers, endorsements, and awards if they had invested in it for that format. As long as it was, I still felt like they were pushing to wrap things up and things were skimmed over. But overall, I found it entertaining and interesting. It was also kinda fun to think about how many other movies and stories were spawned from this one. It would make a fun drinking game. I know I spotted pieces of Star Wars, Alien/Aliens, and The Matrix. There's probably way more.

Anyway, definitely two thumbs up for me, looking forward to the second part. 8/10 because it's still too damn long.
I'm curious to see at what point of the original plot this movie ends. I have a feeling like I already know, but I'm likely seeing this tomorrow night so I'll know by then :manny:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Saw it on Monday at a pre-screener in SF, IMAX is definitely the way to watch this :wow:

Visually it's incredible. Story-wise... most of my criticisms have to do with the original source material more than the film itself, but the film also made some "interesting" casting choices that both play-up and subvert the white saviorism of the book. Fans of the books would probably say that the eventual jihad plotline subverts the white savior trope but it really doesn't for more reasons than I care to go into.

Villeneuve himself claims that he made the opposite of a white savior flick... After watching, not quite sure I agree with that :patrice:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Saw it on Monday at a pre-screener in SF, IMAX is definitely the way to watch this :wow:

Visually it's incredible. Story-wise... most of my criticisms have to do with the original source material more than the film itself, but the film also made some "interesting" casting choices that both play-up and subvert the white saviorism of the book. Fans of the books would probably say that the eventual jihad plotline subverts the white savior trope but it really doesn't for more reasons than I care to go into.

Villeneuve himself claims that he made the opposite of a white savior flick... After watching, not quite sure I agree with that :patrice:

Yes! The entire white savior trope kept popping up in my head throughout the movie but then they would do something with a POC (probably to distract or attempt to subvert the trope). I kept thinking maybe I'm harping on race too much because there were so many characters of color, but you're right. Honestly, this is something that's been bugging me for awhile. Directors seems to be self-aware enough of the white savior critique, so to mitigate any questions, they cast a lot of POCs in supporting roles with various degrees of power too, but never too much in relation to the hero. They think that's enough but it's still the same. Maybe it's even worse because he's now leading and validated by the POCs around him. I also have noticed in recent years, the way they cast Black folks as the bureaucratic roadblock or authoritative opposition to be overcome. It's a weird paradox. It diversified the movie but puts Black folks in roles that are clearly meant to be antagonistic in relation to the hero. It's getting annoying. I tried to put it aside but im glad someone else noticed.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I really really enjoyed this flick. Esp cause a week ago i watched Dune 84 and can say, without a shred of doubt that that film might be the worst thing i have ever viewed.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
It was a good remake. The cinematography was superb. It felt a little rushed in some spots, but a damn good movie

Just got back and I felt this too. Watched the 80's one when the new trailer aired last year. Didn't realize they were gonna break it into parts, I'm onboard for the next one. Sound was off the chain, 1st day 4K Blu-ray purchase.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps

I think Villeneuve was referring to how he and Timothy portrayed Paul in this more like a reluctant figure. The back third of the movie kinda touches on this a little, especially the last like 10 minutes when he starts getting the visions heavy but realizes he kinda has to walk the path/no way out. On a level that kinda makes it worse lol

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL

That’s my biggest issue with it. But like you said it’s to the book. That white savior shyt was annoying.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This was really fukking solid. Score slapped hard and was insanely good. IMAX was 100% worth it as the set designs popped and the film’s scale was crazy immersive. Not too bothered with how it ended - the opening titles literally read “Dune: Part One” so hopefully the next film will make this ending stand out greater.

Only complaints with it was the pacing and dialogue at times. Narratively it felt like chopped up episodes of a show, then the film’s budget reminds me of how much they put into the project.

Villeneuve’s track record at the box office hasn’t been so hot (pouring one out for BR2049), but I really hope this brings more folks back to the theater as it is a one-of-a-kind cinematic experience.