Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
Before he got to the WWF. He was unpinned in the US from 87-97 and was a huge star in Japan w/ some legendary matches over there.

Just because he never became a star in the WWE bubble doesn't mean he wasn't a star

it's the other way around. the "wrestling bubble" is the small wrestling world outside of WWE.

mainstream wrestling is WWE ... that's where the stars are.

you may not like it, but it's true. it was only the minority of diehard wrestling fans who knew who the hell Dr. Death was .... but everyone on every continent knew who Macho Man was, who Austin was, Rock was, etc.

Last edited:

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
it's the other way around. the "wrestling bubble" is the small wrestling world outside of WWE.

mainstream wrestling is WWE ... that's where the stars are.

you may not like it, but it's true. it was only the minority of diehard wrestling fans who knew who the hell Dr. Death was .... but everyone on every continent knew who Macho Man was, who Austin was, Rock was, etc.
Um yea that's the way it is now but the NWA and AJPW were a lot bigger back then obviously. The wrestling business hasn't always been this way, believe it or not it used to be good. Plenty of guys became stars outside of the WWF in the 80s and 90s. You may not like it or knew any of them were stars yourself, but it's true.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Before he got to the WWF. He was unpinned in the US from 87-97 and was a huge star in Japan w/ some legendary matches over there.

Just because he never became a star in the WWE bubble doesn't mean he wasn't a star

Attitude era audience saw him as old. Would’ve been the same thing had Vince brought back Earthquake for Austin, instead of putting a mask on him and making him an oddity

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
Attitude era audience saw him as old. Would’ve been the same thing had Vince brought back Earthquake for Austin, instead of putting a mask on him and making him an oddity
Vince and the WWE not knowing how to use guys is a whole other issue. They definitely could have got one good run out of him if they knew what the hell they were doing at all

Kid Kash

Time for the Moneymaker
Daps
Everybody is talking about what a clusterf*ck the Brawl For All was, however it was that one tournament where the guys could show how tough they were and put their money where their mouth was.
So f*ck that, it was a legit tournament. The matches looked weird at the beginning, however once it came near the finals, you got some legit "ufc meets barfight" show.
They really did Bart dirty, he won fair and square. Putting him home for a time after winning the tournament (while they actually should've at least put him in the IC-title picture), then feeding him to Butterbean.
And Cornette and Ross are literally talking bullsh*t the entire time. They were just mad that their little buddy, the brittle and already over-date Dr.Death got his @$$ handed to him.
F*ck Dr.Death, I hated that guy from the moment he entered the WWF. The Hank Hill version of the world's toughest man. Being booked to drop Japanese guys on their heads and not incur any punishment, while looking like some husky, overweight lumberjack who hasn't seen a gym in years.
As stated above, with all the comments made in the episode, you're actually starting to root for Russo.

The last line Jericho said couldn't be more accurate: "Champions/stars/wins are decided in the boardroom".

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
Never heard of him in my youth.
Yea I didn't know who he was when I first saw him as a 6 year old kid either but I can appreciate now that he was a star. WWE has just tried to brainwash their fans and erase anyone from history that didn't become a star in their company. And obviously done a good job from the responses in here.

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
Um yea that's the way it is now but the NWA and AJPW were a lot bigger back then obviously. The wrestling business hasn't always been this way, believe it or not it used to be good. Plenty of guys became stars outside of the WWF in the 80s and 90s. You may not like it or knew any of them were stars yourself, but it's true.

they were stars ... but only to the small percentage of diehard fans who were watching wrestling on local television. absolutely nowhere near the magnitude of WWE stars.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea I didn't know who he was when I first saw him as a 6 year old kid either but I can appreciate now that he was a star. WWE has just tried to brainwash their fans and erase anyone from history that didn't become a star in their company. And obviously done a good job from the responses in here.

I knew about sting and ric flair when I was a kid before they came to WWF.

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
How would you use him.?
Like the badass mf he was? He didn't need a gimmick made up or any crazy story line written for him.

It would be easy, just do you basic build up letting him come out and squash a few job guys and gradually build him up as your #1 contender. He has the personality and could cut intense promos. JR would be putting him over like crazy every week on commentary as this unstoppable, unpinable legit bad ass. It wouldn't have taken much