Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked the Brawl For All, always wished they'd do it again, liked it at the time, still like it. Just me, I liked watching them fight for real, I think their big mistake was putting the winner against Butterbean, a pro fighter. Unless they were doing it to bury Bart.

It was dope, cause people used to talk about who'd win on some real shyt, so we got to see it. I like combat sports that are legit competitive so I liked the shyt, I know they weren't skilled fighters but cause you knew them had the attachment. It would of been pretty ill if could have seen a match between let's say Shamrock and Blackman, and various other combinations. I think it was a good idea but the execution was flawed.

From a business perspective can see how it's not cause of injuries but as a fan as a piece of entertainment/drama I liked watching it.

PopOnCloud9

All Star
Daps
It’s crazy how Vince always talks about people grabbing the brass ring and then you hear about how Bart Gunn pulls up on Dr. Death and they basically punish him for it.

It was interesting to me how it seemed like everyone was up in arms about Droz getting screwed in his brawl for all bout with Bradshaw but they had a totally different energy towards Bart who legitimately knocked out Dr. Death

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
to this day, i still cant believe they bart gunn in there for a shoot fight with butterbean. that is the most irresponsible match in wrestling history.

and dr death wasnt a star, and he didnt have star potential. especially not in the attitude era. him and austin main eventing anything is laughable.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Cornette saying they couldn’t push Bart Gunn is such bullshyt :mjlol: the entire attitude era was guys being repackaged and retooled to fit the era, all the way from Austin and Rock down to Bob Holly and Godfather. You mean to tell me you couldn’t find a way to repackage and push a guy who just handed out legit L’s to the entire midcard because he used to be a cowboy a few years before? :rudy:That totally stopped them from trying to push Billy Gunn multiple times right? :camby:
Dudes need to be up front and say they intentionally set Bart up to fail (and get concussed) because he KO’d a past his prime Dr. Death who nobody cared about in 1999 WWF anyway.

It's night & day how much politics played into this. JR was mad that his boy got knocked out & he was made to look stupid, and Cornette was mad at the entire concept (which I don't blame him for). So they basically teamed up to bury Bart Gunn, who didn't do anything he shouldn't have done. Was Bart over at the time? Prior to the Brawl for All? No, but he was getting cheers for the Brawl for All. It wasn't mega pops, but the fans recognized he was a bad ass. Bart could've been used similar to how Steve Blackman was used at the time. Steve Blackman is that dude, but it's not like he had 1000x more charisma than Bart.

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
So Russo who got a job with WCW on the premise that Vince let him do whatever he wanted and could get anyone over he had this great idea and that great idea he was the head writer and couldn't write anything for Bart Gunn but but but Cornett and JR buried him.

It proves at the end of the day the Attitude Era was just a booking committee with Vince having final say. I give Russo this he played Turner like a gullible fool and got paid.