Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
on After Dark episode David said that people say inappropriate and rude things to him on Instagram about the murders/suicide and when asked if he had a message for those people who do that he said .... "please stop" :mjcry:
Chavo said to this day people will tweet him "the dogs are in the enclosed pool area..." .....:snoop:

man what the fukk is wrong with people? why would anyone do something like that? :pacspit:

It's easy to say disrespectful shyt behind a keyboard/phone. They wouldn't dare say that to their face.

Vic Damone. Jr

Don't support the phonies, support the real
Daps
Reppin
Memphis TN
nah..moved down here two years after the fact. I stay in the black part of Fayetteville in a different county from where his house and the rest of the city is. Nobody ever said anything about in my part of the city, but I’m sure it was the talk of the town in the white part. Their part of Fayetteville is the typical small southern town you’ll see on TV where everyone goes to the same church and everyone knows each other, and they have festivals throughout the year.

I never seen the crib till about two years ago. I always knew it happened here, & wanted to ride past it. It’s kind of ducked off in the woods on a dirt road, & it’s only like 3 houses on the street.

not surprised nobody heard anything & they weren’t found till a couple days after the fact.

I think the house is on its second owner since the killings happened. Ain’t no way in the hell id spend 1 night in that crib
Facts, the sec I hear a noise I’m gone :hubie:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
People look for cte and his brain being mush being the cause, but this shyt really ain't that deep

This was an abusive relationship and this is how they end. Nancy sent a text the day before he killed her to her friend because she was afraid he was gonna kill her.

fukk Chris Benoit he ruined wrestling.

Pretty sure this doc only reinforced that it was that deep. The murder suicide was caused by an enormous amount of factors. It was an abusive relationship, and PART of that was due to roids/CTE. Benoit was 40 when he killed himself and his family. He’s probably had some form of steroids since his high school years.

And you are right, Benoit did ruin wrestling, changed it forever and not for the good. Jericho practically says that himself.

The Rainmaker

Mr. Money in the Bank
Daps
This was hard to watch for multiple factors: The whole story, his son's perennial creepy smile, Dean Malenko's parkinson, Vickie and Chavo's recollections, the police pictures of the crime scene were haunting as hell, Nancy's sister testimony...fukk. At the end was kinda cathartic for all of them, at least.

Great doc, not the best thing to watch during these times.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
Facts, the sec I hear a noise I’m gone :hubie:

If I recall, there was a poster on Reddit (I think) that went to the Benoit property a few years after the murders took place (had pics to back up the story) and he said it was real eerie around the place. It was quiet and foggy and as he was checking out the back of the house, the wind suddenly with no warning, picked up. He left shortly after that, and I don't blame him.

This was hard to watch for multiple factors: The whole story, his son's perennial creepy smile, Dean Malenko's parkinson, Vickie and Chavo's recollections, the police pictures of the crime scene were haunting as hell, Nancy's sister testimony...fukk. At the end was kinda cathartic for all of them, at least.

Great doc, not the best thing to watch during these times.

I always wondered what the story was about the knife under Daniel's bed. Obviously, by that point, Chris had gone insane, but nobody can really tell the story about that knife. Every time I see the picture of it, I'm thinking, "What the fukk was he going to do with it?"

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
Also fukk the WWE for their treatment of the family afterwards. No call or anything for the families of two people who were viciously murdered yet you hear stories that officials were in AZ the day after Warrior died running errands, buying groceries, etc. for Dana. I'm not surprised nor should I be though. :martin:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Still processing this second part, probably going to watch it again later today.

Two things nobody's mentioned about this documentary in this thread (that I've seen):

1. Even though Eddie's death was probably the big turning point in Benoit's life, people forget that he was losing close friends throughout the entire time period leading up to his death. Johnny Grunge (who probably died right after the DV incident Sandra talks about in the doc) and Black Cat (who rode with Benoit and company during his Japan and Mexico days) were two of Benoit's closest friends and confidants, and died within three months of Eddie's death. Losing your three closest friends like that (and I'd imagine, as Jericho hints at repeatedly, that he was withdrawing from other friends like Jericho, Malenko, and Regal during this period) would really flip your world upside down and place thoughts in your mind that may not be there otherwise.

2. The fact that so much emphasis is put on unprotected chairshots, as if that's going to make such a huge difference in the amount of wrestling-related CTE victims is asinine. As Randazzo mentions, these issues point to a larger cultural problem in wrestling that a policy change or two isn't going to solve (everyone should go read Ring of Hell, by the way, even if the Sports Criminals episode on Benoit annoyed me greatly by relying on it so much. It's focused on Benoit, but it's really an expose on wrestling culture as a whole and its effects on guys like Benoit). People are still trying to do the most extreme moves possible, the WWE work style is more strenuous than ever with no real changes to the schedule, and there's still no real move toward things that wrestlers have needed for decades, like unionization and comprehensive medical coverage. Moreover, focusing so much on the chairshots de-emphasized the effects multiple sub-concussive impacts can have on one's brain. Wrestling's a lot like football in that respect: it's inherently unsafe for your brain because of what it is; saying or trying to imply otherwise is willful dishonesty at best and malicious negligence at worst. Even if Benoit didn't take all those chairshots (and they didn't even show the worst of them. I was watching some old WCW stuff a week ago, and Benoit did diving headbutts onto chairs multiple times during his tenure there), he still may have had bad CTE issues just from his work style.

It's almost as if they can't just say "wrestling is inherently dangerous for your brain, and not THAT much has really changed in its culture to make it less dangerous over the past 13 years, specifically because no one wants to learn anything from Benoit so much as just bury him." Really the most infuriating aspect of a gripping documentary.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Watched it again and still think it was great.

I'd love to see an episode about Perry Saturn. He hit rock bottom and disappeared for awhile. He was insanely talented in the ring too. He has to be one of the more tragic stories in awhile.
I was honestly surprised there was absolutely no mention of him at all in this. Maybe he wasn’t as close to Benoit like Dean & Eddie tho, who knows :yeshrug:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People look for cte and his brain being mush being the cause, but this shyt really ain't that deep

This was an abusive relationship and this is how they end. Nancy sent a text the day before he killed her to her friend because she was afraid he was gonna kill her.

fukk Chris Benoit he ruined wrestling.

What text was that? What did it say?