Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
This put over Pillman pretty big despite him being so heavy into drugs and fukking leaving his wife that he already had kids with for a stripper :mjlol:I dont know man, I feel like that's both a very grimy and very stupid move that he didn't make quickly, and they're acting like he was a mastermind for getting over on Bischoff and Vince with his shoot gimmick.
He legit made Bischoff release him and worked Vince. Not many people work Vince, that is some mastermind shyt when you can get one over on the ultimate carny.

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
brehs i just watched both parts and part one was good but part two is :mindblown:

they clearly saw dude was on a downward spiral but he had worked em all so hard they were just like :manny:

even Stone Cold saw him struggle to walk backstage and was like :manny: he good breh it’s a work

Melanie said he sounded like he knew he wasn’t gon be around for long and she’s just like :manny: about it

then Cornette says when he first gets told Pillman died his initial thought was that it was a work :mindblown:

dude really was like the Kurt Cobain of wrestling with all this tragedy and triumph he had going on simultaneously both in his career and personal life

ima have to go watch an episode of Young Rock to cheer up after this, dark side of the ring starting off dark as hell :wow:

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
also JR is a dude who should be getting his flowers right now, when he retells the story of making Pillman take the drug test and then seeing him in the casket it reminds me of how long he’s been in the game with a legendary career, dude 5 decades in like The Isley Brothers :wow:

Last edited:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
brehs i just watched both parts and part one was good but part two is :mindblown:

they clearly saw dude was on a downward spiral but he had worked em all so hard they were just like :manny:

even Stone Cold saw him struggle to walk backstage and was like :manny: he good breh it’s a work

Melanie said he sounded like he knew he wasn’t gon be around for long and she’s just like :manny: about it

then Cornette says when he first gets told Pillman died his initial thought was that it was a work :mindblown:

dude really was like the Kurt Cobain of wrestling with all this tragedy and triumph he had going on simultaneously both in his career and personal life

ima have to go watch an episode of Young Rock to cheer up after this, dark side of the ring starting off dark as hell :wow:
Boy who cried Wolf kinda shyt really when you think about it

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Yeah that was what I was thinking while hearing him speak, if I was in the business I’m seeking that guy out and trying to get his advice. His opinion of Vince, who’s supposed to be this God more or less in this industry and Kim Wood literally reduced him to nothing more than a whore to be abused in his eyes is really :picard: as a soundbite but :ohhh: when you digest it because you realize he’s got this business completely figured out. Outside perspectives broaden horizons and Pillman was very fortunate to have a mind like that in his corner

I wouldn't have put it the way Wood did (Vince is more of a guy who's emotional growth stopped at 13, probably due to never really seeming to get over his upbringing and crippling inferiority complex re: being a wrestling promoter instead of, say, a music promoter), but the sentiment is absolutely the correct one. Wish more people had it.

The story is about Brian Pillman, not Melanie Pillman. I think it's fine for them to overlook all that bullshyt.

I still haven't watched the last 10 minutes of the doc due to how angry I know it'll make me. They have more than enough Melanie drama in there.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
This put over Pillman pretty big despite him being so heavy into drugs and fukking leaving his wife that he already had kids with for a stripper :mjlol:I dont know man, I feel like that's both a very grimy and very stupid move that he didn't make quickly, and they're acting like he was a mastermind for getting over on Bischoff and Vince with his shoot gimmick.
I think both things can be true at the same time, he can be extremely business savvy and smart in that sense but make foolish, unwise decisions in his personal life that ultimately jammed him up. Having multiple kids by multiple women and breaking up families clearly weren’t wise choices but we can’t undermine that he worked an entire industry at a point when that was something that hadn’t been done that way before. If he had that same level of focus and clarity in his time away from the business and applied it to his personal life he probably would still be here today.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Brian Jr. talked about that a bit in a shoot interview. He thanked Vince for allowing talent to do the shows, he also mentioned that Melanie would blow the money so that’s probably why Les stopped doing them.

When Les told her he didn't have time to do the shows anymore, that was actually true (his promotion in Cincy, HWA, was a WWF/E territory at the time, which tends to have a lot of time consuming administrative bullshyt attached to it). But a lot of the wrestlers (and probably Les hinself) were looking at Melanie sideways when she brought her new husband to the 2001 show and I wouldn't be shocked if there were suspicions about how she was using the money by then (like I said in another post, I lived in the area, so I've known many of the details for a while now). The fight Melanie had with Les when he told her that he couldn't do it anymore just sealed the deal. Meltzer runs through a lot of the details in one of the old Observers, maybe around the 10th anniversary of Pillman's death.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
how did he work Vince exactly? taking a picture with him?

He got a dude who didn't even know who he was to eventually give him a 6-figure contract by acting like the worst, craziest potential employee known to man...then somehow SEALED the deal shortly after headbutting through a Hummer roof (try it sometime; not fun), nearly ripping his left foot off, and having a face literally held together by 5-6 pieces of metal.

Pillman was literally told he'd never wrestle again and he STILL got Vince to give him (and I'm shocked the doc didn't mention this) probably the first ever guaranteed deal he ever gave out for a yearly $300,000 downside.

How is that NOT working Vince?

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He got a dude who didn't even know who he was to eventually give him a 6-figure contract by acting like the worst, craziest potential employee known to man...then somehow SEALED the deal shortly after headbutting through a Hummer roof (try it sometime; not fun), nearly ripping his left foot off, and having a face literally held together by 5-6 pieces of metal.

Pillman was literally told he'd never wrestle again and he STILL got Vince to give him (and I'm shocked the doc didn't mention this) probably the first ever guaranteed deal he ever gave out for a yearly $300,000 downside.

How is that NOT working Vince?

I’m sure Vince knew who he was, Pillman wasn’t exactly a nobody in 1996

He negotiated a great deal, I think in part because of Austin’s popularity and him potentially being the next Austin - not to mention they were tag team partners a few years prior