Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

Ace Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I almost feel guilty saying this, but DSotR is becoming a favorite of mine. The tragedies being depicted are of course horrible. However, the overall production and ability to creatively reproduce the narratives being told adds a certain vividness and presence.

I started watching Wrestling the second week of ‘98, so I completely “missed” the Pillman tragedy. I always wondered if dude was that good. Low and behold, he was even better arguably. :wow:
—I feel horrible for his kids. :mjcry:
—No
comment on Melanie’s fukkery.:wtf:
—As much as Brian may have “cried Wolf,” no one was aware enough to ask questions and pry a little sooner? Who possibly commits that much time to feigning hampering injuries...through airports of all places...for multiple months...while clearly their in-ring performance has also dwindled simultaneously (yes, we have the gift of hindsight, but man this is both a tuff and tragic pill to consume.) ...:patrice:
—Auntie Pillman essentially ribbing Junior with that spider.:pachaha:

Lastly, don’t know if I was interpreting Bischoff’s statement incorrectly, but what type of awareness did Pillman’s demise bring exactly? Seems like just now the newer generation of stars are deviating away from drug usage, and that’s probably because of the myriad wrestlers who died in the wake of the incident being referenced (not because of any enduring structural/cultural shifts within the industry, per se).

supertrekker

Superstar
Daps
Melanie was Warriors old piece? :mjlol:

now she's just an old piece.

PSIgSoy.jpg

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Lastly, don’t know if I was interpreting Bischoff’s statement incorrectly, but what type of awareness did Pillman’s demise bring exactly? Seems like just now the newer generation of stars are deviating away from drug usage, and that’s probably because of the myriad wrestlers who died in the wake of the incident being referenced (not because of any enduring structural/cultural shifts within the industry, per se).
The new guys don’t fukk with drugs and occupy their time in different ways, that’s considered “soft” these days.

Last edited:

Ace Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The new guys don’t fukk with drugs and occupy their time in different ways, that’s considered “soft” these days.

I typed the post with that Undertaker interview specifically in mind.lolol. I'm also reminded of that one story Nash told about his last run in the 'E. Specifically, how he purposely rattled a bottle of pills that he pulled out of his bag while in the locker room. To his surprise nikkas weren't paying that shyt no mind. I don't know if cats really understand how sad, alarming, yet relieving that story is (assuming it's true). :wow:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
also JR is a dude who should be getting his flowers right now, when he retells the story of making Pillman take the drug test and then seeing him in the casket it reminds me of how long he’s been in the game with a legendary career, dude 5 decades in like The Isley Brothers :wow:

That's what I'm saying.

He's one of the most valuable contributers in the history of the business.

that's one of the reason I'm starting to run out of patience with AEW.

They have zero excuse to be as mediocre as they are with minds like Jim Ross and Arn Anderson backstage.

If Tony Khan was smart, he'd let wrestling people book the show.

now she's just an old piece.

PSIgSoy.jpg

She's like the real life version of that SNL character that's cracked out:heh:

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I typed the post with that Undertaker interview specifically in mind.lolol. I'm also reminded of that one story Nash told about his last run in the 'E. Specifically, how he purposely rattled a bottle of pills that he pulled out of his bag while in the locker room. To his surprise nikkas weren't paying that shyt no mind. I don't know if cats really understand how sad, alarming, yet relieving that story is (assuming it's true). :wow:
Nash said himself that even with all the people that died from that era, he's still shocked it wasn't 10x more. Partying every night, pounding 20 beers, pounding 20 shots, guzzling 2 or 3 fists worth of whatever pills they could get their hands on. Straight death wish missions.

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
I’m sure Vince knew who he was, Pillman wasn’t exactly a nobody in 1996

He negotiated a great deal, I think in part because of Austin’s popularity and him potentially being the next Austin - not to mention they were tag team partners a few years prior
Austin wasn't that popular at the time, this was 6 months into Austin's debut. His infamous KOR speech wasn't until 2 weeks after Pillman's signing.

Ace Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nash said himself that even with all the people that died from that era, he's still shocked it wasn't 10x more. Partying every night, pounding 20 beers, pounding 20 shots, guzzling 2 or 3 fists worth of whatever pills they could get their hands on. Straight death wish missions.

That’s big wild. We’re in an era where many of these performers are quite familiar with watching ten bell salutes and/or reading dirt sheet reports that detail the tragedies of the industry. While they might move differently, this new group is creating their own feeling as opposed to trying to chase or restore one. :ehh:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!

Nash seemed disappointed by that for some reason. "This business is fukked."