Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
Brian was living too fast and unfortunately it caught up to him. Hopefully young wrestlers use his story as a cautionary tale. He did Rochelle dirty as hell and that guilt really got to him at her funeral.

On another note, Melanie Pillman is a true piece of shyt. From the comments and actions towards Rochelle, to not letting Dani eat a little off her dad's royalties to the drug use/letting the step father treat those kids like that. Her fidgeting has me believing she's still using.

Hope Brian Jr is successful in his career. Props to his aunt for keeping him and his siblings in contact too.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
It's wild that he was still wrestling with basically a put-together leg. I feel like Stone Cold didn't wanna say it but he couldn't even walk in airports but was still getting in the ring.

All Vince cares about is these roided up, drugged up wrestlers getting in the ring for his events and making sure his company is off the hook in case any shyt pops off.

Daps
On another note, Melanie Pillman is a true piece of shyt. From the comments and actions towards Rochelle, to not letting Dani eat a little off her dad's royalties to the drug use/letting the step father treat those kids like that. Her fidgeting has me believing she's still using.

She was apparently arrested in fall of 2020 for some kind of posession or public intox thing, so I'm guessing whatever royalties are left to her still go right up her nose the second the quarterly check drops.

Dani looks JUST like Brian Pillman

She probably does just as well with the ladies, too. She gives me big Shane vibes.

I haven't seen part 2 just yet - waiting to watch it with The Spouse. Did they address the fact that Melanie was pregnant with another man's child during the Vince interview?

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
I haven't seen part 2 just yet - waiting to watch it with The Spouse. Did they address the fact that Melanie was pregnant with another man's child during the Vince interview?
Nope. I think they just mentioned Brian jr, Brittany, and Dani. I don't think they talked about his step kids or the one that was born after he died at all

Daps

Well, that's certainly an omission.

That's my one beef with these editors - the omissions they choose to make that would further the story. I would have also loved Les Thatcher's take on why they stopped doing the Pillman memorial shows in Cincinatti. Because that's certainly a tale as well.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Going through the first part of the Pillman episode right now, but I just need to comment on this:

So Brian had his Atlanta side piece Melanie calling his house...you know, where his wife and two children live, ruining the entire point of having a side piece 460-some-odd miles away. He then doubles down on this by getting her pregnant (without which we wouldn't have Brian Jr., so...:manny:), breaking up with his wife, then almost immediately turning around and marrying her.

Now, I'm not going to act like I'm some kind of player, but even I can see that this was some simp ass nonsense on Brian's part. Your SIDE PIECE calls your house where your fukking family lives, helps break up your marriage, and you MARRY her? A fukking Penthouse model that will probably never respect you like your wife respected you at that (not enough money, not enough status)? Are we fukking surprised that this shyt didn't work? :mindblown:

Call me crazy, but I thought there were rules to dealing with side pieces (Rule 1: Don't have them. Rule 2: If you must have at least one, ENSURE THEY DON'T CONTACT YOUR FAMILY AS MUCH AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE)...none of which Brian Pillman seemed to follow in this scenario.

Doc's fine so far. Nothing special, really, but a fine intro for those who don't know who Brian Pillman is.

That's my one beef with these editors - the omissions they choose to make that would further the story. I would have also loved Les Thatcher's take on why they stopped doing the Pillman memorial shows in Cincinatti. Because that's certainly a tale as well.

There's a benign reason (Les didn't have time to do them anymore) and a less benign reason (Melanie's bullshyt, which I think you're referring to). Haven't finished the doc yet, but I doubt the producers wanted to turn segments of the doc into a Melanie Pillman burial extravaganza, no matter how much she might have deserved it. Didn't the producers outright say they had to cut a bunch of material related to her essentially for that reason?

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Older I get more I agree

I lost my father when I was 11 so hard for me to process death honestly, shyt fukks with my head 15 years later. I know it’s the same way for wrestlers who are literally around each other 300+ days a year

I know most of the roster be tuned out when hearing of some news like that
Same here. I used to argue in favor of how WWF was in a tough spot and all the financial issues that would arise if they just stopped the show. But as I've gotten older and really experienced death of people close to me my whole viewpoint change

Yeah I was interested in if they addressed the Kevin Nash issue too of where he promised to donate to the Pillman family (I think 20K) but never followed through on it. I think years later when asked about it he blamed it on Melanie being on drugs and not wanting to give her money. Just everything about his funds after his death should've been dug into including what kind of money WWF paid out as I think they made a promise to pay out the rest of the his contract.

Daps

That was one of the shockers of Brian Junior's shoot interview he did when he first got into the wrestling business. Apparently, at the time of that interview, Melanie and Brian Senior were living separately and planning for a divorce. She was shacking with the man who would go on to be his terrible stepfather.

In Melanie's defense, at the time Brian Senior was basically a zombie shambling around on all the pills and steroids because he wouldn't retire and start working behind the scenes. (Jim Ross wanted him on commentary. Can you imagine that voice as the voice of the Attitude Era, y'all?) However, I wouldn't have let the man she married thereafter feed my goldfish, much less parent my children. Your first and only job as a parent is to protect those babies.

Don't do drugs, y'all.