Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Just a random thought.....but I always found it interesting when Vince interacts with someone outside of his wrestling world, someone outside of his rules where he doesn't have control over them. I'm listening to the Lapsed Fan podcast that someone posted here, and they're talking about it, every interview this guy does he's immediately on the defensive from the get. Like the clip they showed when the reporter asked him a question, he immediately went off, "I don't like the tone you're asking your question with"...mothafukka someone just died in your ring, ain't no time to be delivering a question sounding like Mr Rogers.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good question. The WWE couldn't even put Owen's name in a title for a YouTube video.

I always thought that was odd.

Odder yet they released a Owen Hart Blu Ray a few years ago but wouldn't mention him in a youtube title

I remember reading that WWE owns the footage and with that, Owen's likeness in the footage so they can use it however the please. As a courtesy to Martha they tend to not use his footage but there's nothing stopping them from it.

The Owen Bluray has home movie footage so at least one of the Harts co-signed it was involved (probably Bret). It was great, I recommend copping it.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just a random thought.....but I always found it interesting when Vince interacts with someone outside of his wrestling world, someone outside of his rules where he doesn't have control over them. I'm listening to the Lapsed Fan podcast that someone posted here, and they're talking about it, every interview this guy does he's immediately on the defensive from the get. Like the clip they showed when the reporter asked him a question, he immediately went off, "I don't like the tone you're asking your question with"...mothafukka someone just died in your ring, ain't no time to be delivering a question sounding like Mr Rogers.

Trump does the same thing. it's what happens when somebody has complete power over a large entity (ie. WWE, Trump's brands, etc). plus tons of money and clout. They don't want to be challenged or questioned. They are also so used to Yes men and not having to answer to anybody. When the time comes and they have to answer to an outside person, and they are no longer being yes'd, and on top of that potentially in trouble or losing control; they become defensive and abrasive

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
There was a topic on another forum that I used to post at where posters talked about meeting wrestlers. One poster talked about how he and his friend got to meet Owen/Bulldog once, and the photographer was being a huge a$$hole. He was yelling and barking orders and being short with everyone. The poster's dad wanted to get in the picture with everyone but the photographer was being his usual barking order self until Owen got fed up and yelled "JUST LET THE GUY GET IN THE PICTURE WITH HIS KIDS! :stopitslime:" Everyone waiting in line popped. They got their picture and got a nice memory. I always thought that was a good story.

I'm glad to see all of Owen's family is doing well. Martha is a doctor, his son is a lawyer, and his daughter has a degree in journalism. That's a good top tier resume for a family. Owen would be proud. I'd like to see Owen in the HOF if a HOF was actually ever built, butI can see his wife's side of the story too. I always thought it was odd that they did the Blue Blazer thing at the end of 98, and then Owen went back to being Owen for awhile (winning the tag titles with Jarrett) and then out of nowhere he started doing the Blue Blazer gimmick again.

All in all, this shouldn't have happened to begin with and he should be here (hopefully retired and teaching) today.

This was a good season. Here's hoping for another one.

Last edited:

So UnThotful

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TSC/Icey/ByrdGang
I could be wrong but years ago for Raw’s 15th or 20th anniversary Martha signed off on them using Owen’s voice in the intro.

I’m curious to how all of it works
I think you're talking about his image on a video package

It's from a raw where they used the empire state of mind track to give tribute to NY or MSG or some shyt

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York

To play Devil’s advocate the country’s love affair with wrestling died and wrestling was viewed like how we view the circus, mind readers, and Magicians. Add the fact the government and media were trying actively to bring it down and expose the business. Think about the episode that aired earlier where the reporter got slapped. Think about the reactions of anything anytime wrestling or Vince comes up. Do you go out of your way to tell people about how you like wrestling?

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
To play Devil’s advocate the country’s love affair with wrestling died and wrestling was viewed like how we view the circus, mind readers, and Magicians. Add the fact the government and media were trying actively to bring it down and expose the business. Think about the episode that aired earlier where the reporter got slapped. Think about the reactions of anything anytime wrestling or Vince comes up. Do you go out of your way to tell people about how you like wrestling?

No, because it’s become so sanitized and overproduced, that it’s embarrassing and just not the same mostly. Now when somebody brings up something old, there’s not a person that doesn’t engage in a wrestling convo.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
There was a topic on another forum that I used to post at where posters talked about meeting wrestlers. One poster talked about how he and his friend got to meet Owen/Bulldog once, and the photographer was being a huge a$$hole. He was yelling and barking orders and being short with everyone. The poster's dad wanted to get in the picture with everyone but the photographer was being his usual barking order self until Owen got fed up and yelled "JUST LET THE GUY GET IN THE PICTURE WITH HIS KIDS! :stopitslime:" Everyone waiting in line popped. They got their picture and got a nice memory. I always thought that was a good story.

I'm glad to see all of Owen's family is doing well. Martha is a doctor, his son is a lawyer, and his daughter has a degree in journalism. That's a good top tier resume for a family. Owen would be proud. I'd like to see Owen in the HOF if a HOF was actually ever built, butI can see his wife's side of the story too. I always thought it was odd that they did the Blue Blazer thing at the end of 98, and then Owen went back to being Owen for awhile (winning the tag titles with Jarrett) and then out of nowhere he started doing the Blue Blazer gimmick again.

All in all, this shouldn't have happened to begin with and he should be here (hopefully retired and teaching) today.

This was a good season. Here's hoping for another one.

That gimmick 100% didn’t need to happen, and it was a total joke that they decided on it. All that personality Owen had shown by himself and they pretended he was Shawn Staziak or somebody else who had zero personality.

FooFighters

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
That gimmick 100% didn’t need to happen, and it was a total joke that they decided on it. All that personality Owen had shown by himself and they pretended he was Shawn Staziak or somebody else who had zero personality.

Fukkin Russo.

Owen was best as a heel. Could do serious and comedy at the drop of a hat. Angle is similar to him in that way.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
When Jericho brought up all the future talent that came months later, I was :francis:

All those potential classics. :to:

Owen/Kurt alone... :wow:
007_RAW_05101999_0072--ccd3bde92ba9699c4375df915111daa4.jpg

“Shotgun Saturday Night
May 10, 1999

Unfortunately, this was the match that WASN'T televised. Compared to what ended up getting televised on Shotgun Saturday Night, it's a shame that THIS was the dark match.

Dark Match
Owen Hart defeats Kurt Angle

Singles Match
The Godfather defeats Prince Albert by DQ

Tag Team Match
The Brood (Edge & Gangrel) defeat Too Much (Brian Christopher & Scott Taylor)

Singles Match
Droz defeats Meat”

:to:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Damn brehs. I'm remodeling my room furniture a bit and I got a bunch of old dvd sets. I go to move them to another side of the room and find I have the Owen Hart of Gold one. :mjcry: I don't think I've even seen it from purchasing it. I'll have to give it a watch one of these days when I get everything settled.