Official Coming 2 America Thread

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
and the the fact they tried to repeat the jokes from 1988 and make it modern was just lacking of creativity.
Yeah, the writing killed this. Didnt Kenya Barris co-write this? That’s a problem right there. The original writers of CTA wrote this as well but those cacs are like 75-80yrs old. The casting errors (big lez, the son, kinda sorta Tracy) and the lack of attempt by the comedians to improvise makes this terrible...

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Yes, the grade was bad. Looked like there was hardly any contrast in the image
That pissed me off so much. I noticed it immediately. It ruins all appeal the original movie had and that magical 80s prosperity vibe it had.

Yeah, the writing killed this. Didnt Kenya Barris co-write this? That’s a problem right there. The original writers of CTA wrote this as well but those cacs are like 75-80yrs old. The casting errors (big lez, the son, kinda sorta Tracy) and the lack of attempt by the comedians to improvise makes this terrible...

When I saw that one afrobeat nigerian dude come out as Snipe’s son I instantly knew what kind of bullshyt the movie was on. He didn’t even try to be funny, the writers just expected the viewers to cheer at his presence.

And the whole funeral shyt was tacky. Seems like they were more concerned with getting all of these black musicians to be in the move vs actually making it funny.

Whole movie was cheesy in a bad way and was night and day from the vibe of the original.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
I’m not sure why Eddie felt Akeem needed to have a b*stard son. I thought when his Mom told his Dad at the end of the first movie about the King being able to change outdated traditions because he’s the king should have killed the thought of his oldest daughter not being able to become queen.

IMO better story would have been Eddie/Lisa think their kids are spoiled brats, they decide to take them to Queens to visit their moms old neighborhood. Doing that allows you to bring in all the beloved characters more organically. Eddie plot could have been about him trying to rebuild Queens for the folks/ fight gentrification etc. That gives you scenes at the barbershop, community center, old apartment, og Mcdowells. Lisa plot would be about her being a sellout since it seems like she hasn’t gone back to Queens since she originally left. Arsenio plot could have been about his b*stard son he didn’t know about. You can bring in the remixed club scene for Semi’s b*stard son, not Akeem’s. Oldest daughter plot could have been her liking the USA, not sure if she wants to return to Zamunda to be Queen. Make middle kid a boy instead.

:ohhh::ohhh: PERFECT. You should have wrote the script

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps

Best tweet from that was “ Don’t black guilt me into liking something that isn’t good”. I totally understand the need to support our films, but kinda hard to do that with mediocre media. Tired of all of the tales from the hood, drug dealing, gay love, been-to-jail-now-I’m-out-trying-to-make-it, bullshyt storylines as well. Most original black lead film I saw in the last year was Black Box. If there are others outside the typical, put me on...

King

Daps
The prince character is more annoying and unlikeable than the light skin dude from the first one.

But overall, the movie wasn’t bad. Good leisure viewing - I’d go support it in theatres.

It gets better towards the end.

King

Daps
The thing about that first one that people don't really think about is that Eddie was the straight man. He wasn't doing and saying wild shyt. All of his comedy came from interaction with others. He was dependent on the script and performance of others. Same thing here. This movie is just lacking writing and supporting performances.

I think the script was actually more adult than the first one. There was less cursing and no nudity but date rape is a major plot point. It seemed like there was more adult discussion/themes in this one. The first one was really a family movie with cursing and a nude scene.

Fowler is just a symptom of a bigger issue. It seems like they weren't 100% on where they were trying to go and what they wanted to say. You already got Eddie being a straight man. So you needed someone with a bigger personality and more star power to play the son IMO...or of course a better story.
Yeah the prince was unlikable and annoying as fukk. He just has a punchable face like the light skin dude from the first one.

Very underdeveloped character, he has major flaws, ruins the film IMO because you can’t actually empathize with him.

He turns his back on all his riches for a girl he talked to in the movie for 10 minutes over the princess he talked to for less than 2 minutes.

He comes off as a spoiled dikkhead who’d rather go back to Queens, ruin an African kingdom, and be poor.

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
i don't, i feel a lot of people went in ready to judge the movie on its own merits given the OG is a classic, 30+ years old, rated R vs PG-13 - it makes you have to go into the movie with an open mind, but as a standalone movie, it's below average, and as a sequel to one of the GOAT black movies, it's trash

:yeshrug:

Even if people did go into it with preconceived notions, that's the price you pay for doing a 30 year old sequel of a timeless classic.

Movies (and moviegoers) gotta stop trying to hide behind dat. Nobody told you to try to recreate some shyt and slap the Coming to America brand on it.

Last edited:

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah the prince was unlikable and annoying as fukk. He just has a punchable face like the light skin dude from the first one.

Very underdeveloped character, he has major flaws, ruins the film IMO because you can’t actually empathize with him.

He turns his back on all his riches for a girl he talked to in the movie for 10 minutes over the princess he talked to for less than 2 minutes.

He comes off as a spoiled dikkhead who’d rather go back to Queens, ruin an African kingdom, and be poor.
Him choosing the groomer was actually the most realistic part. The rest of the movie was just silly shyt was like a spoof.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That pissed me off so much. I noticed it immediately. It ruins all appeal the original movie had and that magical 80s prosperity vibe it had.

When I saw that one afrobeat nigerian dude come out as Snipe’s son I instantly knew what kind of bullshyt the movie was on. He didn’t even try to be funny, the writers just expected the viewers to cheer at his presence.

And the whole funeral shyt was tacky. Seems like they were more concerned with getting all of these black musicians to be in the move vs actually making it funny.

Whole movie was cheesy in a bad way and was night and day from the vibe of the original.

:mjlol:YOU TALKING ABOUT
DRE FROM POWER nikka?

YES HIM JUST SHOWING UP
WAS FUNNY AND
WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A POP
IN THE THEATER.

I CONTINUE TO SAY
THIS MOVIE WOULD HAVE BEEN EPIC
IN THEATERS.
:devil:
:evil: