Official Coming 2 America Thread

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
On the WTF podcast Eddie said that when he set out to write the script for the sequel 4 years ago, Tracy Morgan was actually supposed to play the son.

I heard it mentioned that were trying to get Kevin Hart to play the son, which even though I'm not a big fan would have made perfect sense. But it seems like casting the son was a big issue. Fowler did okay considering he obviously wasn't the first choice

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I heard it mentioned that were trying to get Kevin Hart to play the son, which even though I'm not a big fan would have made perfect sense. But it seems like casting the son was a big issue. Fowler did okay considering he obviously wasn't the first choice
I'm not the biggest Hart fan, but I'm not sure how he would've improved the script.

Hart couldn't have done anything to make the rapping scene any less:picard:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I respect Fowler's effort and wish him well going forward in his career. However, they dropped the ball with the son...all the kids really. Look at the first movie...you had Eddie as the main character and James Earl Jones as his pops. The audience is instantly invested before the story even begins. You think that movie is a classic, or shyt even gets made, if you have the 1988 version of Jermaine Fowler as Akeem?

In this one, you got all these kids that no one knows AND you don't really give us a much reason to be invested in them in the story. You either had to have a bigger star play the son, go more in depth in making us care about the kids, or make them background characters and make this a Eddie vs Wesley movie. It would've been different if you had a Michael B, and I think Coogler writes better story too. I think Kevin would've been good but I doubt he does it at this point in his career. And that nikka is 40 and looks his age. If this movie is made 5 years ago it's definitely Kevin.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I don't know why yall all caught up on fowler as if he's the reason this shyt was wack....

Eddies performance was far worse than Fowlers, there wasn't one single memorable scene in this movie, not one...

They simply dropped the ball with the script and went PG...

Unless Kevin Hart could of tossed the script out, no way this shyt is any better with him in it...

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I respect Fowler's effort and wish him well going forward in his career. However, they dropped the ball with the son...all the kids really. Look at the first movie...you had Eddie as the main character and James Earl Jones as his pops. The audience is instantly invested before the story even begins. You think that movie is a classic, or shyt even gets made, if you have the 1988 version of Jermaine Fowler as Akeem?

In this one, you got all these kids that no one knows AND you don't really give us a much reason to be invested in them in the story. You either had to have a bigger star play the son, go more in depth in making us care about the kids, or make them background characters and make this a Eddie vs Wesley movie. It would've been different if you had a Michael B, and I think Coogler writes better story too. I think Kevin would've been good but I doubt he does it at this point in his career. And that nikka is 40 and looks his age. If this movie is made 5 years ago it's definitely Kevin.
Star power wasn't the reason the story wasn't good or why a lot of the "funny" scenes weren't funny.

Replacing Fowler with Michael B wouldn't make the love story between him and the barber feel any less rushed.

You could've made the girl from Grownish the daughter that wanted to be heir, it wouldn't change the fact that the story didn't get enough time because they had 7 other storylines going on.

Only other shyt I've seen Fowler in is Sorry to Bother You and Judas and the Black Messiah. He didn't have shyt to work with, none of the actors did.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know why yall all caught up on fowler as if he's the reason this shyt was wack....

Eddies performance was far worse than Fowlers, there wasn't one single memorable scene in this movie, not one...

They simply dropped the ball with the script and went PG...

Unless Kevin Hart could of tossed the script out, no way this shyt is any better with him in it...

The thing about that first one that people don't really think about is that Eddie was the straight man. He wasn't doing and saying wild shyt. All of his comedy came from interaction with others. He was dependent on the script and performance of others. Same thing here. This movie is just lacking writing and supporting performances.

I think the script was actually more adult than the first one. There was less cursing and no nudity but date rape is a major plot point. It seemed like there was more adult discussion/themes in this one. The first one was really a family movie with cursing and a nude scene.

Fowler is just a symptom of a bigger issue. It seems like they weren't 100% on where they were trying to go and what they wanted to say. You already got Eddie being a straight man. So you needed someone with a bigger personality and more star power to play the son IMO...or of course a better story.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Star power wasn't the reason the story wasn't good or why a lot of the "funny" scenes weren't funny.

Replacing Fowler with Michael B wouldn't make the love story between him and the barber feel any less rushed.

You could've made the girl from Grownish the daughter that wanted to be heir, it wouldn't change the fact that the story didn't get enough time because they had 7 other storylines going on.

Only other shyt I've seen Fowler in is Sorry to Bother You and Judas and the Black Messiah. He didn't have shyt to work with, none of the actors did.

You put a great comedian in that spot and they can single handedly make some shyt that was written as "meh" into some hilarious shyt on some off the dome type shyt. But I do agree about the script. My point was you can't have both a lack of star power AND a rushed, disjointed script.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Upon rewatch I enjoyed it more.

However, it still should have been MUCH BETTER. The blame goes to Craig Brewer who had no sense of tone and made a parody out of too much stuff.

In the OG things were absurd at times in Zamunda, but it was still taken serious...thats what made it funny. A lot of Zamunda scenes here feel like they are winking too much at the camera or in on the joke.

Tone feels more in line with Head of State instead of Coming to America.

I cant lie though...this was the funniest I have ever seen Leslie Jones.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Teyana Taylor is SO FINE

When she walked in the room looking so Cocoa Butter Sheen FINE and the son turned towards Akeem and Akeem gave him the :whew::myman: I laughed my ass off because THATS a genuine father/son moment. You see your son about to come up on a bad piece like Teyana and all you can do is nod in acknowledgment.
The women in this movie (outside of Leslie Jones...who was funny tho) were 10/10 :whew:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I’m not sure why Eddie felt Akeem needed to have a b*stard son. I thought when his Mom told his Dad at the end of the first movie about the King being able to change outdated traditions because he’s the king should have killed the thought of his oldest daughter not being able to become queen.

IMO better story would have been Eddie/Lisa think their kids are spoiled brats, they decide to take them to Queens to visit their moms old neighborhood. Doing that allows you to bring in all the beloved characters more organically. Eddie plot could have been about him trying to rebuild Queens for the folks/ fight gentrification etc. That gives you scenes at the barbershop, community center, old apartment, og Mcdowells. Lisa plot would be about her being a sellout since it seems like she hasn’t gone back to Queens since she originally left. Arsenio plot could have been about his b*stard son he didn’t know about. You can bring in the remixed club scene for Semi’s b*stard son, not Akeem’s. Oldest daughter plot could have been her liking the USA, not sure if she wants to return to Zamunda to be Queen. Make middle kid a boy instead.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
IMO better story would have been Eddie/Lisa think their kids are spoiled brats, they decide to take them to Queens to visit their moms old neighborhood. Doing that allows you to bring in all the beloved characters more organically. Eddie plot could have been about him trying to rebuild Queens for the folks/ fight gentrification etc. That gives you scenes at the barbershop, community center, old apartment, og Mcdowells. Lisa plot would be about her being a sellout since it seems like she hasn’t gone back to Queens since she originally left. Arsenio plot could have been about his b*stard son he didn’t know about. You can bring in the remixed club scene for Semi’s b*stard son, not Akeem’s. Oldest daughter plot could have been her liking the USA, not sure if she wants to return to Zamunda to be Queen. Make middle kid a boy instead.
giphy-downsized.gif