Official Coli HBCU sports & band thread

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I hope FAMU goes there and f*cks shyt up. They’ll compete immediately. Jackson State/Alcorn was the teams I liked most in the SWAC, but I’ll have to start rooting for the fellow former MEAC’er

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I hope FAMU goes there and f*cks shyt up. They’ll compete immediately. Jackson State/Alcorn was the teams I liked most in the SWAC, but I’ll have to start rooting for the fellow former MEAC’er

they should start winning the conference immediately. I know they should have won the MEAC last year but they were on probation.

knowing FAMU tho if they start to get too good again they’ll try to jump ship to FBS again & come running back to FCS :francis:

I hope the SWAC adds Tennessee State to even out the divisions. I’m hearing a lot of TnSU alum & students want to be in a HBCU conference even though the rinky-dink conference they are in now contains schools all within 2-3 hours of them.

I think ticket sales will make up for the added travel cost they’ll incur by joining the SWAC

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
they should start winning the conference immediately. I know they should have won the MEAC last year but they were on probation.

knowing FAMU tho if they start to get too good again they’ll try to jump ship to FBS again & come running back to FCS :francis:

I hope the SWAC adds Tennessee State to even out the divisions. I’m hearing a lot of TnSU alum & students want to be in a HBCU conference even though the rinky-dink conference they are in now contains schools all within 2-3 hours of them.

I think ticket sales will make up for the added travel cost they’ll incur by joining the SWAC
I’m hoping there’s college football this year. This will be the last year both A&T and FAMU are in the MEAC, and I want to see us shut up FAMU, because all I’ve been hearing is our last championship was a fluke due to them being on probation.

The SWAC will have to hold up the HBCU in football, because I see the MEAC slowly falling apart. Like I said earlier, it’s only a matter of time before Bethune leaves. In the meantime, after A&T and FAMU leaves, it’ll be the SWAC facing off against SCSU in the celebration bowl. Central is a couple years off from being a contender.

That would be a good move for Tennessee State. They haven’t really done shyt in that conference they’re in now.

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins

FAMU still has financial issues, not as bad as BCU; they won't go that far again.

Still, a better move logistics wise. Probably only have to visit Texas once every three years.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Fellas when it comes to basketball what HBCU's are just horrible? Coaching, not investing money into the program, horrible culture, bad communication. like what coach and program would you avoid completely?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Fellas when it comes to basketball what HBCU's are just horrible? Coaching, not investing money into the program, horrible culture, bad communication. like what coach and program would you avoid completely?

As far as the MEAC goes, id say University of Maryland-Eastern Shore, Howard, Bethune Cookman and maybe FAMU. FAMU has been ass in basketball for years, but they have the resources to be successful..they built a nice looking gym a couple years ago and they just need to hire the right coach.

UMES and Cookman are smaller schools, and I dont think they can afford to put much into the basketball team. UMES doesnt even have a football team, so one would think most of their money would go into basketball, but idk what they have going on up there. Cookman's entire school is going through a financial mess at the moment because of a bad deal they did with a company to build some dorms, or something, but they've never made noise in basketball.

This is the gym Cookman plays in
RMYQTUFZGXPWHHQ.20130924235833.jpg

Moore-Gym-Jump-Shot.jpg

Most of the MEAC teams play in small arenas, but theirs looks like a high school gym.

In the SWAC, you have teams with arenas like this
FG_Clark_2.jpg

DXQLpn2X0AAdZKL.jpg

I think we invest a little more into the athletic programs in the SWAC (Although the MEAC kicks our ass in football whenever the two conferences meet up)

In the SWAC, most of the schools are up and down in basketball. Like they'll have some decent years, then some down years, and they'll get good again. But the only school who has never been consistent and who is always trash in basketball is Alabama A&M. Its a great school, but I think their issue is the culture of the program. I think they have only won the SWAC one time, but outside of that its an automatic W when they are on the schedule.

Tennessee State is the only HBCU in their conference, but I see they havent won their conference since 1993 :huhldup:

In division 2, Albany State hasnt made noise in a while in the SIAC. Im not sure about the CIAA or the NAIA schools.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
So ever since Mikey Williams made that comment, dude has been getting offers from every HBCU? However, before this the talk was DO HBCU'S recruit. Because before it was they don't have the budget to recruit. But then I go on twitter and all you see is....

And there's so many other schools that made Mikey an offer.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
So ever since Mikey Williams made that comment, dude has been getting offers from every HBCU? However, before this the talk was DO HBCU'S recruit. Because before it was they don't have the budget to recruit. But then I go on twitter and all you see is....

And there's so many other schools that made Mikey an offer.

they recruit. They just never went after high profile guys, because they knew it was a 99.9% percent chance they wouldn’t be going to a hbcu.

cant be wasting travel money on going to scout a player that you know isn’t going to your school.

with this new black empowerment movement though, maybe all of that will change.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
As far as the MEAC goes, id say University of Maryland-Eastern Shore, Howard, Bethune Cookman and maybe FAMU. FAMU has been ass in basketball for years, but they have the resources to be successful..they built a nice looking gym a couple years ago and they just need to hire the right coach.

UMES and Cookman are smaller schools, and I dont think they can afford to put much into the basketball team. UMES doesnt even have a football team, so one would think most of their money would go into basketball, but idk what they have going on up there. Cookman's entire school is going through a financial mess at the moment because of a bad deal they did with a company to build some dorms, or something, but they've never made noise in basketball.

This is the gym Cookman plays in
RMYQTUFZGXPWHHQ.20130924235833.jpg

Moore-Gym-Jump-Shot.jpg

Most of the MEAC teams play in small arenas, but theirs looks like a high school gym.

In the SWAC, you have teams with arenas like this
FG_Clark_2.jpg

DXQLpn2X0AAdZKL.jpg

I think we invest a little more into the athletic programs in the SWAC (Although the MEAC kicks our ass in football whenever the two conferences meet up)

In the SWAC, most of the schools are up and down in basketball. Like they'll have some decent years, then some down years, and they'll get good again. But the only school who has never been consistent and who is always trash in basketball is Alabama A&M. Its a great school, but I think their issue is the culture of the program. I think they have only won the SWAC one time, but outside of that its an automatic W when they are on the schedule.

Tennessee State is the only HBCU in their conference, but I see they havent won their conference since 1993 :huhldup:

In division 2, Albany State hasnt made noise in a while in the SIAC. Im not sure about the CIAA or the NAIA schools.

if you had a son that played ball, what HBCU would be the best academic and basketball wise? (coaching staff, graduation, development, playing time, etc) I say playing time because some teams are so stacked, a freshman may not even see the floor. If it was up to me, It would be the meac or ciaa or Siac (clark atlanta, Morehouse).

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
if you had a son that played ball, what HBCU would be the best academic and basketball wise? (coaching staff, graduation, development, playing time, etc) I say playing time because some teams are so stacked, a freshman may not even see the floor. If it was up to me, It would be the meac or ciaa or Siac (clark atlanta, Morehouse).

yea Morehouse is cool. They have a good program, it’s an excellent school, and with a Morehouse degree, you’re guaranteed any job in Atlanta because they have a strong network here.

if I had a son in HS right now who plays basketball and wanted to go to a HBCU to play, I’d recommend Texas Southern in Houston. They are the standard right now for HBCU basketball.

They beat Baylor and Oregon last season. They always schedule big schools like that & they get some wins against them some years. They have built a nice culture down there.

a lot of HBCUS schedule games against those big white schools for a payday, but Texas Southern schedules them to toughen their players up & to have them get experience against “better” players.

Texas Southern got the juice right now. They don’t have a high academic profile, but they have engineering, and chemical & petroleum engineers make BANK in Texas, so that’s good.

Hampton has a decent program and were at the top when they were in the MEAC, but I don’t know how they have been since they moved to their new conference. It’s one of the “black Ives” tho. It’s a excellent school.

North Carolina Central runs the MEAC in basketball & they have won the conference for the past 3 years, but I’m not familiar with their academic profile.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
yea Morehouse is cool. They have a good program, it’s an excellent school, and with a Morehouse degree, you’re guaranteed any job in Atlanta because they have a strong network here.

if I had a son in HS right now who plays basketball and wanted to go to a HBCU to play, I’d recommend Texas Southern in Houston. They are the standard right now for HBCU basketball.

They beat Baylor and Oregon last season. They always schedule big schools like that & they get some wins against them some years. They have built a nice culture down there.

a lot of HBCUS schedule games against those big white schools for a payday, but Texas Southern schedules them to toughen their players up & to have them get experience against “better” players.

Texas Southern got the juice right now. They don’t have a high academic profile, but they have engineering, and chemical & petroleum engineers make BANK in Texas, so that’s good.

Hampton has a decent program and were at the top when they were in the MEAC, but I don’t know how they have been since they moved to their new conference. It’s one of the “black Ives” tho. It’s a excellent school.

North Carolina Central runs the MEAC in basketball & they have won the conference for the past 3 years, but I’m not familiar with their academic profile.

Any schools on the east coast comparable to a Texas Southern? (Philly, Delaware, DMV, Baltimore, Virginia, North Carolina)? What about Carolina A&T and Norfolk state? Even though A and t is moving to the big south.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Any schools on the east coast comparable to a Texas Southern? (Philly, Delaware, DMV, Baltimore, Virginia, North Carolina)? What about Carolina A&T and Norfolk state? Even though A and t is moving to the big south.

Honestly North Carolina A&T is probably the best all around school to attend right now. They are competitive in all sports, and it’s a top 5 HBCU. @Bryan Danielson can speak on them more

Norfolk has a good history. They beat Missouri a few years ago in March Madness. Kyle O’Quinn went there. I think him & Robert Covington are the only HBCU alum in the NBA at the moment. They haven’t won the MEAC in a few years but they’ll be back soon. Too many good players up there and they have a good tradition

Coppin State in B-More is on the come up. They used to be poo but they’re getting better each year. Juan Dixon is their head coach. He can get some players try outs in the league with his connections & he should start to bring in better recruits with his name aloneThey should be competing for the MEAC title in a few years

Last edited:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Honestly North Carolina A&T is probably the best all around school to attend right now. They are competitive in all sports, and it’s a top 5 HBCU. @Bryan Danielson cant speak on them more

Norfolk has a good history. They beat Missouri a few years ago in March Madness. Kyle O’Quinn went there. I think him & Robert Covington are the only HBCU alum in the NBA at the moment. They haven’t won the MEAC in a few years but they’ll be back soon. Too many good players up there and they have a good tradition

Coppin State in B-More is on the come up. They used to be poo but they’re getting better each year. Juan Dixon is their head coach. He can get some players try outs in the league with his connections & he should start to bring in better recruits with his name aloneThey should be competing for the MEAC title in a few years

What about Del state and Morgan? See I went to Hampton and went to the games especially football but I didn't follow all of HBCU sports like I should have.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What about Del state and Morgan? See I went to Hampton and went to the games especially football but I didn't follow all of HBCU sports like I should have.

Not too sure about them but I’ll do some research in a little bit. Often I forget them being in the MEAC cause they’re so far up north..but with Del State being close to Philly & with Morgan in B-More as well ain’t no reason they shouldn’t be getting any good ballers.

I feel you about not following sports at HBCUS tho. A lot of folks just go to school & go to class & parties. We aren’t super sports fans like those big white schools.

I follow HBCU sports closely tho cause fukk them racist ass SEC, ACC, Big 12 and other schools. They’ll never get a dime from me. When I was little, my fam use to sit and watch the Bayou Classic every Thanksgiving weekend when it came on NBC.

That’s been our Iron Bowl/HBCU super bowl for damn near 60 years. My folks installed that black pride in me early, and when I was little most black sitcoms had actors sporting HBCU gear.

That pride is lost with this current generation because they don’t do that on TV anymore, and folks have pushed that the only way you can be a successful athlete is if you go to a white school, and if you play for a HBCU it automatically means you’re trash.

we need to start supporting our own again.