Official Coli HBCU sports & band thread

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
bruh we scheduled SU for homecoming this season, and the Jukebox always come to Montgomery.

I might have to nix my plans to attend if they don’t come up with a vaccine before then :mjcry:

Breh, It would be crazy for yall homecoming since we always travel. I hope the game comes through but I doubt it.

Southern finally has a dope home schedule and it gonna be wiped out.

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
8e3946b1967d140f7ab10c4186270d08

BySteven J. Gaither
Posted on June 19, 2020

COMMENTS

The departing MEAC train out of Florida might have another program on board.

The Bethune-Cookman University Board of Trustees held an emergency meeting on Thursday in which the topic of its athletic conference affiliation was discussed, according to multiple sources, including the possibility of leaving the MEAC.

Sources indicate the SWAC, as well as other conferences, were in the discussion as BCU considers its future. This meeting took place a week after rival Florida A&M voted to move to the SWAC.

Many have speculated that BCU would follow FAMU to the SWAC. Both schools jumped to the MEAC in the late 1970s after spending decades in the SIAC.

SWAC Commissioner, Dr. Charles McClelland, said that while having 12 members would be ideal, the conference isn’t actively looking for another member. But it is open.

We’re not seeking expansion, but if the opportunity comes along, and they fit what we’re looking for…then obviously we’ll take a strong look at that,” Dr. McClelland told our Tolly Carr.

Another option being discussed is the Atlantic Sun Conference. That conference doesn’t currently sponsor football, however, two of its members (Kennesaw State and North Alabama) are currently associate members in the Big South Conference, which will feature two HBCUs starting in 2021. There has also been talk of the conference starting a new football league in the future.

A Bethune-Cookman departure from the MEAC would be the fifth since 2018. Hampton left for the Big South. Savannah State moved back to the SIAC. North Carolina A&T will join Hampton in the Big South. And FAMU will join the SWAC in July 2021. It would leave the MEAC with just six football programs and only five in baseball.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
8e3946b1967d140f7ab10c4186270d08

BySteven J. Gaither
Posted on June 19, 2020

COMMENTS

The departing MEAC train out of Florida might have another program on board.

The Bethune-Cookman University Board of Trustees held an emergency meeting on Thursday in which the topic of its athletic conference affiliation was discussed, according to multiple sources, including the possibility of leaving the MEAC.

Sources indicate the SWAC, as well as other conferences, were in the discussion as BCU considers its future. This meeting took place a week after rival Florida A&M voted to move to the SWAC.

Many have speculated that BCU would follow FAMU to the SWAC. Both schools jumped to the MEAC in the late 1970s after spending decades in the SIAC.

SWAC Commissioner, Dr. Charles McClelland, said that while having 12 members would be ideal, the conference isn’t actively looking for another member. But it is open.

We’re not seeking expansion, but if the opportunity comes along, and they fit what we’re looking for…then obviously we’ll take a strong look at that,” Dr. McClelland told our Tolly Carr.

Another option being discussed is the Atlantic Sun Conference. That conference doesn’t currently sponsor football, however, two of its members (Kennesaw State and North Alabama) are currently associate members in the Big South Conference, which will feature two HBCUs starting in 2021. There has also been talk of the conference starting a new football league in the future.

A Bethune-Cookman departure from the MEAC would be the fifth since 2018. Hampton left for the Big South. Savannah State moved back to the SIAC. North Carolina A&T will join Hampton in the Big South. And FAMU will join the SWAC in July 2021. It would leave the MEAC with just six football programs and only five in baseball.

I’d be surprised if they move to the SWAC, but I hope we throw them a life raft

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Honestly North Carolina A&T is probably the best all around school to attend right now. They are competitive in all sports, and it’s a top 5 HBCU. @Bryan Danielson can speak on them more

Norfolk has a good history. They beat Missouri a few years ago in March Madness. Kyle O’Quinn went there. I think him & Robert Covington are the only HBCU alum in the NBA at the moment. They haven’t won the MEAC in a few years but they’ll be back soon. Too many good players up there and they have a good tradition

Coppin State in B-More is on the come up. They used to be poo but they’re getting better each year. Juan Dixon is their head coach. He can get some players try outs in the league with his connections & he should start to bring in better recruits with his name aloneThey should be competing for the MEAC title in a few years

But bro even though Howard isn't known for their athletics, if they offered you a basketball scholarship, you'd be crazy not to take it correct?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
But bro even though Howard isn't known for their athletics, if they offered you a basketball scholarship, you'd be crazy not to take it correct?

yes...the lifelong networking opportunities that comes along with a Howard degree would be worth it, even though their team is ass. You just have to go in with the mindset that basketball is only a vessel to pay for Howard since it’s expensive as hell, and your number one goal is graduating.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Fellas when it comes to basketball what HBCU's are just horrible? Coaching, not investing money into the program, horrible culture, bad communication. like what coach and program would you avoid completely?

I need this answer for the CIAA as well. Whoever is familiar with schools in the CIAA let me know this answer?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I was hoping we could sway TNSU to join but I guess BCU is cool even tho the travel to Daytona is trash.

When I was at Bama State we traveled to Cookman in 08. It was my first time ever seeing the ocean..I welcome them to the SWAC. I know it will be a lot of kids first time seeing water whenever we have to travel there in the future.

Im still hoping we can get Tenn State in the future and form a HBCU mega conference.