Official Coli HBCU sports & band thread

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
We pretty much did this to those Celebration Bowl titles, especially if we win our last one next year
ImmenseSilentFlyingsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
I will admit that the possibility of making the jump from Big South to FBS conference, in the future, did spark my interest a bit. With me being in ATL, and Kennesaw St being a Big South member, I’ll be able to easily attend a game, and with A&T’s presence in ATL, that will be huge.
I’m also wanting to see how we compare to these top dawg FCS schools, and I’d like to see us in the playoffs competing.

It’ll suck come GHOE, not playing another HBCU, and potentially losing out on playing Central every year. I see Hampton is playing Howard this year, so hopefully we can bring the A&T/Central rivalry with us.

Y'all leaving gracefully, unlike Hampton did. The MEAC kicked us off their schedules immediately lol. We're just getting to the point where we cab play Howard again, and I think Norfolk State will be back on the schedule next season. I'm pretty sure y'all will still play Central, and y'all can always schedule MEAC teams. I'm worried about y'all competing with us in track. We swept that thing, men and women, last year. Now we gotta compete against y'all and your Olympic nikkas :hhh:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Who is your main rival? Who do you play during homecoming weekend?
If you can still keep that team on your schedule as a non conference game, you maintain some of that HBCU football heritage/legacy.

There was a push in 2019 to pressure top high school recruits to consider playing for HBCUs. The top sports programs in HBCU sports moving up a tier definitely helps that.

it’ll be smart of them to keep some HBCUs on the roster.

look at the other HBCUS in “white” conferences like Tennessee State & Hampton..fans of the opposing team don’t go to their campuses because they’re scared of blacks people, or don’t want to put money into HBCUS by giving them money for tickets and concessions. Only time they have fans from the visiting team is when HBCUS come to town.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Something I just thought about...

the 2021 SWAC/MEAC Classic is listed as Southern vs NCAT. That would have been a good ass game, and it would have been a sell out with how well NCAT & SU’s alum, students and fans travel, plus with the Jukebox there, they would bring thousands of fans just to see them.

I wonder who the replacement will be for that game. Cookman was in it this past season, and it’s SCSU this year I believe.

for band head purposes I wish it was Norfolk to see the Legion vs the Jukebox, but I don’t think NSU’s fans travel that much.

they should have FAMU in it. SU went to Tallahassee last year, FAMU goes to Baton Rouge this year, and they should meet in ATL for the 3rd year

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
...fans of the opposing team don’t go to their campuses because they’re scared of blacks people, or don’t want to put money into HBCUS by giving them money for tickets and concessions. Only time they have fans from the visiting team is when HBCUS come to town.

honestly didn’t think about that ... I feel it’s a tad overstated , but then again , I believe it’s some truth to it too . HBCUs will still get paid in that scenario but the optics and the atmosphere would suffer .

I think in matchups where it’s an P5er , then that would definitely be the case but in matchups outside the P5 I don’t think it’d be as bad .

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
lmaooo

Man I always wondered what the other band members were thinking when sitting across from that sound

Lol, we weren't intimidated. We just hit them back with our own sound. I don't know if Southern got their trumpets under control now but back when I marched they would scream just for the sake of doing it. shyt didn't sound good at all.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Lol, we weren't intimidated. We just hit them back with our own sound. I don't know if Southern got their trumpets under control now but back when I marched they would scream just for the sake of doing it. shyt didn't sound good at all.

Up until the mid 2000s their trumpets sounded good

I’d say bout 2009-2011 is when they started to lose control