Official Coli Gardening Thread..Vegetables/Fruits/Herbs/Spices..Freshest Thread Ever

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
i used this and it worked pretty well for fungal gnats in my fig tree, i went from seeing them all the time to only one every few days. Mosquito Bits - Summit Chemical Company it's this bacteria that's harmless to plants and pets but makes proteins that kill insects. i threw out as much of the old soil as i could and washed the roots' newest growth with water. but the one thing that helped the most was to stop using miracle gro potting mix lol.

edit: it says it doesn't last long but that's a bald faced lie haha. i last applied it in september and there's still huge chunks of it on the top layer, it looks super ugly but hey it worked great. i guess if you go ham applying it it'll look kind of like a gravel dressing.

I second this. I was going to use that stuff on a strawberry plant some kind of grubs got into. I heard it does real well.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I used to do that stuff in the oven. I could never get the right crispiness. What type of oil do you use?

Avocado or olive. My wife said the trick is to make the pieces fairly small, because larger ones won't crisp as well. Certain kales work better than others too. Next time try and see if you can do it with Purple or lacinato kale, which is the variety with longer leaves

71EkyWo-vZL._AC_SY450_.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I bought organic soil (unsterilized) and a zillion amendments. I got coconut coir, perlite, earthworm casings, compost, blood meal, fish fertilizer, soil acidifier, soil DE acidifier, fertilizer specifically for tomatoes/ peppers, and slow release fertilizer. I don't even know if that's all, i bought everything! :mjlol:

I'll do all the peroxide stuff cuz that's what i got, but I'll definitely look into that mosquito bits product.

Im thinking about using only very little actual soil, more coir. How much earthworm casings is enough (by part)? Can i side dress with compost?

Oh, and they're in containers, but they bout to go into self watering pots. :usure:

Wow you went all out. If you are using pots though maybe it is different. In my raised beds I always got away with organic soil plus some mycorrhiza inoculant. Every year I sometimes put manure in there and mixed it up a couple weeks before planting to refresh the soil.

My pepper plants have issues in that something is munch the leaves on a couple of them. I suspect those moth catepillars but not sure.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Avocado or olive. My wife said the trick is to make the pieces fairly small, because larger ones won't crisp as well. Certain kales work better than others too. Next time try and see if you can do it with Purple or lacinato kale, which is the variety with longer leaves

71EkyWo-vZL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I will try. I didn't grow kale this year but I can definitely grab some on the next grocery run.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Wow you went all out. If you are using pots though maybe it is different. In my raised beds I always got away with organic soil plus some mycorrhiza inoculant. Every year I sometimes put manure in there and mixed it up a couple weeks before planting to refresh the soil.

My pepper plants have issues in that something is munch the leaves on a couple of them. I suspect those moth catepillars but not sure.

Catepillars are the WOAT. Soon as I see one, all my plants get the catepillarkiller on them :bustback:

Daps
Tomato plants are doing well, but so far, only ONE red tomato.

:francis:

There are three big ones at the bottom of one plant, but they’re just chilling all green like,

:yeshrug:

The cucumbers are about to start climbing the trellis. I planted a zucchini for the first time. It’s looking good. From what I see online, they don’t need anything to climb on like cucumbers, so I’m just going to see what happens. I planted 6 green bean seeds, and gave up on them, then I suddenly saw them sprout up into plants, and was:

:gladbron:

I bought a smaller raised bed that’s like a manger, and I put my herbs in it, but then transferred the herbs to porch planters, so I don’t have to walk all the way downstairs and into the yard to get herbs. Now they are on the back porch, and I can open the door, and clip while cooking.

:mjlit:

I put my grass seed down about 3 weeks ago, and bought an attachment to spray the grass every day. It’s coming in, but it’s not looking as nice as I want it to.

Of course, the neighbors dig all their grass up, and are putting down new grass, and the Mexicans across the street patched their’s up too.

:shaq2:

Old couple across the street has Tru Green come to do theirs.

:leostare:
Was mowing the lawn today, and saw what I thought was a giant worm, but it was a tiny snake.

:picard:

:damn:

Now I’m scared.

This is NJ. We don’t fukk with snakes like that.

:whoa:

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Was mowing the lawn today, and saw what I thought was a giant worm, but it was a tiny snake.

Now I’m scared.

This is NJ. We don’t fukk with snakes like that.

This is a good thing. That organic life in your yard is up enough to have apex predators. Excellent work:salute:

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I think I may have overcrowded one of my raised beds. I put the zucchini next to the cucumbers, because I thought they climbed a trellis, but they don’t. They just spread leaves like an octopus.

I also put 6 green bean seeds in there, and they came up to. It’s a 3x3 bed.

green beans might get choked out by the cucumbers, they'll be having a UFC match in that 3x3, you could put some stakes near the beans to train them to climb straight up but you gotta monitor the cucumber growth and force them to bend away from your other plants.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I think I may have overcrowded one of my raised beds. I put the zucchini next to the cucumbers, because I thought they climbed a trellis, but they don’t. They just spread leaves like an octopus.

I also put 6 green bean seeds in there, and they came up to. It’s a 3x3 bed.

I learned that the hard way my first time but with squash instead. Squash pushed tomatoes out of the way like they were squares :mjlol:

Daps
green beans might get choked out by the cucumbers, they'll be having a UFC match in that 3x3, you could put some stakes near the beans to train them to climb straight up but you gotta monitor the cucumber growth and force them to bend away from your other plants.

The zucchini is in between the cucumbers and green beans. And they are already starting to climb the trellis. I just make sure I watch them everyday to make sure they don’t latch onto the zucchini stalks.

But I’m going to put some stakes on the green beans tomorrow.