Official Coli Gardening Thread..Vegetables/Fruits/Herbs/Spices..Freshest Thread Ever

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, started back in late March, I think.
This year I got onions, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and carrots.

Bed 1- Onions/Carrots
The closest shoots are onions.

These are the carrot tops, can barely see them.
WzrWEdF.jpg

Bed 2- I only planted onions. The cataloupe, I planted last year. When i started watering the onion seeds, the cantaloupe came up. Didnt have the heart to chop em, so it's gonna be survival of the fittest.
NLw4nIF.jpg

Bed 3- Just cantaloupe
3Osc1sZ.jpg

Tomatoes
QY3g6In.jpg

Couple of trees. I posted them last year. I decided to fertilize in Feb. Put too much and they pretty much died. The stalk was still green so I chopped all the branches and left the stalk. Here they are now. One of em actually did die, RIP. The other tree is in the background of the tomato. All minis, blood orange, orange and lemon I think. Never had anything against caterpillars until I got trees. Amazing how much of a leaf they can devour in a day.
6bep10s.jpg
ARqTQ8p.jpg

Had a nice lavender, forget what kind. Had a loud smell which is good for me because my sense of smell is horrible. Wifey got a dog and he started using it as a fire hydrant.
FSZbxF1.jpg

Was gonna post the stuff you blow but read the OP and stopped, LOL.
Ill update in a couple of weeks, these pics are about a week old.

Update

Bed 1 (Survival of the Fittest; cantaloupe have taken over. If you dont use mulch, melons and gourds are good for ground cover)
sbgZ0OX.jpg

Bed 1 (branching out)
dV1zkTf.jpg

Bed 2 (onions/carrots)
pAGnede.jpg

Bed 3 (more cantaloupe)
vLGbgIE.jpg

Bed 1 (1st possible cantaloupe ???)
Pn7uMUj.jpg

3 Tomato plants
hjzF7iD.jpg

What are yall using for your medium?
I use a mix of coco, black gold. I add worm castings, Sustane, and sea salt for ferts.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
what watering method is everyone using? i use a sprinkler system , u can kinda see part if in my green been bed at the top that yellow flower

anyone do direct water with a water wand?

i tried the soaker hose for a couple of years but went through 3 sets of hoses that stopped working at one point or another

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Auto-watering.
Hose w/timer connected to drip tubes and soaker hose (ha ha).
Probably gonna get rid of the soaker hose and replace with the dripper strip.

what watering method is everyone using? i use a sprinkler system , u can kinda see part if in my green been bed at the top that yellow flower

anyone do direct water with a water wand?

i tried the soaker hose for a couple of years but went through 3 sets of hoses that stopped working at one point or another

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna let em creep to the ground and let em go wherever they wanna go.
Ive grown em before, sorta like below.
Ive never done a vertical hang.
Im sure it's better, on the ground the bottom can rot depending on the ground moisture and they are more susceptible to insects.
May give it a shot next time.
5XPYYa_IXvCH-aRLpOZfjtd6E1hP9qT87TkebixYs8cvA4pv4HHG0bozjYR8AjK_gFPARi65VxCwDA5Re8DW8dr1vsEXJ4wRuOkKXtv0eCYUWWQldX_Wh1nZ2cqi8-G-6bZDr2ihzJkdTtcVQrlBEFdq0JoB5lYWVBg2xGRDxhgZPw

you going to build something over that bed for them to climb up? They really start going ham at that point

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
What are yall using for your medium?
I use a mix of coco, black gold. I add worm castings, Sustane, and sea salt for ferts.
i pretty much use only black gold and bonsai jack products. i was forced to cop some miracle gro perlite the other day cause of the virus and i look at the label when i'm home and the shyt's got fertilizer it? how tf do you mess up a product with only a single ingredient? :gucci:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Built my wife a lil indoor garden for Mother's Day this year
DdLPdOtl.jpg

k49U06ol.jpg

kKDBGchl.jpg

qRBTECXl.jpg

Me and my co-worker are building a pergola for the school we work at right now
3IPnshBl.jpg

g4ileACl.jpg

CRMSRXil.jpg

Still a work in progress. Still gotta build the walls and cap the support posts
87Ov4twl.jpg

We built a greenhouse earlier this year as well
O5N6x6kl.jpg

weBtvb6l.jpg

k1Dwzt1l.jpg

neUA6dpl.jpg

CuXjzvUl.jpg

Last edited:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
:mjcry: My pepper plants struggling. I think it's fungus gnats or whatever. I tried diatomaceous earth but i think they were to well entrenched by that point (larvae in the roots).

So i did a deep soak with diluted peroxide and foliar spray about 12 hrs ago. They still there.

I had planned to re pot soon anyway. Should i go ahead and throw out the old soil and rinse the roots with the diluted peroxide? I read that was a thing.

Also, medium? I kinda randomly threw things together last time. I think that contributed to wet feet/ a good environment for pests. I have all the ingredients, any suggestions?

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
:mjcry: My pepper plants struggling. I think it's fungus gnats or whatever. I tried diatomaceous earth but i think they were to well entrenched by that point (larvae in the roots).

So i did a deep soak with diluted peroxide and foliar spray about 12 hrs ago. They still there.

I had planned to re pot soon anyway. Should i go ahead and throw out the old soil and rinse the roots with the diluted peroxide? I read that was a thing.
i used this and it worked pretty well for fungal gnats in my fig tree, i went from seeing them all the time to only one every few days. Mosquito Bits - Summit Chemical Company it's this bacteria that's harmless to plants and pets but makes proteins that kill insects. i threw out as much of the old soil as i could and washed the roots' newest growth with water. but the one thing that helped the most was to stop using miracle gro potting mix lol.

edit: it says it doesn't last long but that's a bald faced lie haha. i last applied it in september and there's still huge chunks of it on the top layer, it looks super ugly but hey it worked great. i guess if you go ham applying it it'll look kind of like a gravel dressing.

Last edited:

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I try to keep it simple.
Anything with little to no fertilizer and worm castings (i fert with Sustane and sea salt mixed in soil prior to planting, will feed some liquid kelp too).
Ive always stayed away from Miracle Gro, but Im sure it's some cats out there who know how to flip a harvest with it.

No real advice on the bolded.
What you said sounds good.
I'd probably change medium especially if you think it contributed to the problem.
Go with something that drains well or amend with perlite.
Also, if sitting on the ground, raise it so it can drain without issue.
I got a 10:1 (h202 to h20) mix that I spray on my medicinal for pest and fungus control.
Just started so dont know if the solution is real.

Should i go ahead and throw out the old soil and rinse the roots with the diluted peroxide? I read that was a thing.

Also, medium? I kinda randomly threw things together last time. I think that contributed to wet feet/ a good environment for pests. I have all the ingredients, any suggestions?

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
but the one thing that helped the most was to stop using miracle gro potting mix lol.
Ive always stayed away from Miracle Gro
I bought organic soil (unsterilized) and a zillion amendments. I got coconut coir, perlite, earthworm casings, compost, blood meal, fish fertilizer, soil acidifier, soil DE acidifier, fertilizer specifically for tomatoes/ peppers, and slow release fertilizer. I don't even know if that's all, i bought everything! :mjlol:

I'll do all the peroxide stuff cuz that's what i got, but I'll definitely look into that mosquito bits product.

Im thinking about using only very little actual soil, more coir. How much earthworm casings is enough (by part)? Can i side dress with compost?

Oh, and they're in containers, but they bout to go into self watering pots. :usure: