Official Coli Gardening Thread..Vegetables/Fruits/Herbs/Spices..Freshest Thread Ever

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I bought organic soil (unsterilized) and a zillion amendments. I got coconut coir, perlite, earthworm casings, compost, blood meal, fish fertilizer, soil acidifier, soil DE acidifier, fertilizer specifically for tomatoes/ peppers, and slow release fertilizer. I don't even know if that's all, i bought everything! :mjlol:

I'll do all the peroxide stuff cuz that's what i got, but I'll definitely look into that mosquito bits product.

Im thinking about using only very little actual soil, more coir. How much earthworm casings is enough (by part)? Can i side dress with compost?

Oh, and they're in containers, but they bout to go into self watering pots. :usure:

Less is more when it comes to gardening. With the coco coir, you should use less if you're doing a hybrid soil mix. Think of it more as a supplement to the soil and go maybe 30% max. Use it to help the roots breathe a little easier. I'm doing a full coco grow in some of my pots, but creating my own nutrient formulas and watering them very often. Soil contains nutrients while coco contains none, nor does it hold water well.

I'm also a fan of "gassing" off the chlorine in my water. If you're setup is small enough, let your water sit for 12-24 hours so that the chlorine that's added by your water district evaporites from it, because otherwise it kills a bunch of the good organisms that's found in soil.

Never hurts to keep a ph meter handy either. I use distilled white vinegar to lower it, and baking soda to bring it up. PH levels are extremely important when it come to plants being able to absorb their nutrients. With weed at least, you always want to shoot for a neutral level, which is somewhere between 6-7 with 6.5 being what I always aim for. I also meter the excess water run off from my plants after watering to see if I should go higher or lower on my ph for the next watering.

Last edited:

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think we've all bought the store at one point, at least I did. :russ:
Self watering is definitely the way to go. It seems like my past vacations always meant missing a couple of waterings. Where I'm at (SW), thats almost a death sentence).

Also, what Stir Fry said.

I bought organic soil (unsterilized) and a zillion amendments. I got coconut coir, perlite, earthworm casings, compost, blood meal, fish fertilizer, soil acidifier, soil DE acidifier, fertilizer specifically for tomatoes/ peppers, and slow release fertilizer. I don't even know if that's all, i bought everything! :mjlol:

I'll do all the peroxide stuff cuz that's what i got, but I'll definitely look into that mosquito bits product.

Im thinking about using only very little actual soil, more coir. How much earthworm casings is enough (by part)? Can i side dress with compost?

Oh, and they're in containers, but they bout to go into self watering pots. :usure:

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
Less is more when it comes to gardening.
I think we've all bought the store at one point, at least I did. :russ:
Self watering is definitely the way to go.
definitely agree with both of these, no matter what you're growing it exists in nature where nobody is around to care for it and it's still managed to out compete all the plants that are no longer around. for my succulents i'm down to a mostly inorganic mix without amendments - equal parts pine bark, calcined clay and montmorillonite clay. those guys get fertilized only once a year, some of them get watered only once or twice a year and they're still doing great.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Auto-watering.
Hose w/timer connected to drip tubes and soaker hose (ha ha).
Probably gonna get rid of the soaker hose and replace with the dripper strip.

nice , yea am either going to go water wand or pvc pipe drip system

i like my current setup as its easy to break down at the end of the winter, but water wise its super inefficient, not that everything doesn't get watered but im just spilling out more water than needed

DaNatural

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bolded is why Im changing. the soaker hoses out.

nice , yea am either going to go water wand or pvc pipe drip system

i like my current setup as its easy to break down at the end of the winter, but water wise its super inefficient, not that everything doesn't get watered but im just spilling out more water than needed

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I DON'T KNOW HOW. PUT ME ON BREH.

Rip the leaves away from the mid-vein as the stem is bitter. The smaller the pieces, the better, as larger ones wont get as crispy. Put them in a bowl and toss them in some light olive, avacado oils, etc. Season it with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and either paprika or cayenne pepper for a little kick. Spread the pieces on a thin baking sheet and bake @ 200 for 7 minutes on one side and then another 7 on the other. Some kales work better than others, but they always come out good no matter which ones you use regardless.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Rip the leaves away from the mid-vein as the stem is bitter. The smaller the pieces, the better, as larger ones wont get as crispy. Put them in a bowl and toss them in some light olive, avacado oils, etc. Season it with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and either paprika or cayenne pepper for a little kick. Spread the pieces on a thin baking sheet and bake @ 200 for 7 minutes on one side and then another 7 on the other. Some kales work better than others, but they always come out good no matter which ones you use regardless.

GONNA GIVE IT A GO TOMORROW.

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I'm terrible at this. I germinated some cucumber, pepper, kale, and squash. They started rooting after 4-5 days. Dropped them in some potting soil. I always struggle with over/under watering. If I just fill this tray 1/4 full of water will that work?

ebv1XOS_d.webp

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm terrible at this. I germinated some cucumber, pepper, kale, and squash. They started rooting after 4-5 days. Dropped them in some potting soil. I always struggle with over/under watering. If I just fill this tray 1/4 full of water will that work?

ebv1XOS_d.webp
Image isn’t being displayed.

I just water enough for the soil to be moist not soggy and only if the soil is dry. You have to watch them to because you could water them in the morning and by 2 they are thirsty again if it’s really sunny and hot. I’ve read you shouldn’t water after 4p because of the chance for mold.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc

I've had success for 10m @ 350 even in a pyrex dish, similar seasonings

@MR. SNIFLES experiment breh your result prob will be a divine harmony of our summed experiences

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Built my wife a lil indoor garden for Mother's Day this year
DdLPdOtl.jpg

k49U06ol.jpg

kKDBGchl.jpg

qRBTECXl.jpg

Me and my co-worker are building a pergola for the school we work at right now
3IPnshBl.jpg