Official Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues Thread

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
she's an anger management counselor and when Daniel starts to get rage urges he inevitably sees her because he remembers how she connect w/ Mr Miyagi

iu

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
While it took them long enough, surprise credit is due to how well and mostly non-stereotypically written Kenny was. He was fairly well rounded, and at least his "absent" father wasn't due to the usual trappings and one of more understandable respect. Duke was a full blerd, but learned to stand up for himself. I can see folks having some contention about him having a "white savior", but even that is handled decent enough for sensible reason with his real brother telling him to go that route.
I thought the Robby and Kenny relationship was dope. I thought the tie in with Kenny's brother made it work. Kenny's bro respected Robby, and I thought Robby's affection for Kenny was a great way of showing that Robby had a lot of the best parts of his father within him (the desire to mentor and help out kids that are getting bullied.)

Robby and Kenny's dynamic was one of my favorite things of season 4. And I'd love to see more of Kenny's brother in season 5, and maybe see if he gets into Karate himself.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I thought the Robby and Kenny relationship was dope. I thought the tie in with Kenny's brother made it work. Kenny's bro respected Robby, and I thought Robby's affection for Kenny was a great way of showing that Robby had a lot of the best parts of his father within him (the desire to mentor and help out kids that are getting bullied.)

Robby and Kenny's dynamic was one of my favorite things of season 4. And I'd love to see more of Kenny's brother in season 5, and maybe see if he gets into Karate himself.

Yep, same. As much as I want LaPusso to get more deserved hands like everyone else, I don't want Kenny to fall into losing his true self and becoming another statistic. They liable to have him get the girl that LaPusso and him were thirsting for and then Kenny loses her to LaPusso after she finds out that he becomes LaPusso's bully.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
100%

Also, I'm pretty sure the actor that plays Terry Silver is a lifelong Karate guy. I think he's still doing it even at his age now, and I think he may have done all his own stunts this season.

Yeah, Thomas Ian Griffith (Terry Silver actor) is an official martial arts guy. You can easily tell way back in TKK3 when he's doing his kata and shyt. His kicks are still quite clean and solid at his what...60+ years of age. He the most official karate/ma main cast member throughout all of the movies and show (tho the Mike Barnes actor was also of official karate ilk), aside from Jackie Chan:patrice:, if you counting that movie:mjpls::aicmon:...which none of us do.:martin::camby:

Funny how duke completely gave up all acting and everything like over 20 years ago and they were able to pull him back in for this joint and he pulls it off effortless and bringing new dimensions to the character to boot.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I mean I teach martial arts anyways right now (BJJ, not Karate), so if I had $40 million ocean front property I would absolutely just live out my passion for the rest of my days. Especially if I were Terry Silver's age. I feel like at that point you want to enjoy life and start thinking about the legacy that you want to leave behind.

Right. The only thing that's a bit silly about it in Cobra Kai is the sheer villainy of how Terry operates his schemes on doing this. Definitely no complaints from me on that part tho, as I'm all here for it.:lolbron:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Question about the last 2 episodes

Terry'd bribe didn't matter though, right? Sure, the ref that he paid was willing to overlook any fouls that Tory did to Sam, but Tory only did the one accidental elbow to the eye, right?

Like, Tory beat Sam fair and square, didn't she?

Didn't

Sam kick Tory out of bounds during the final point but the ref called it back because he said she was standing out of bounds before hand so no point?

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Season 4 was great, a big step up from 3 (which to me was the weakest season)

I have some insights followed by a question. Both are spoilers obviously.

- As many of you have highlighted, Kenny was an excellent addition to the cast. Truly great character arc, and his relationship with Robby humanized him and made him a lot more enjoyable than he's been for any season prior.

- I found myself rooting for Tory hard this season despite how over the top fukked up she was in Season 2 and 3.

- Hawk's redemption arc was dope, but they need to bring back the mohawk for S5 lmaoooo.

- The LaRusso kids are both unbearable. Straight up. Wanted that kid to get his ass whooped so bad. It's hard for the viewer to disagree with Kenny's warpath when we saw how much they fukked with him all year.

- My main criticism of this season is that I feel, at this point, Danny and Johnny's beef is played out. I thought they squashed that shyt in S3, and while it's understandable there'd be growing pains working together, that shyt dragged on way too long. I was shocked when they ended up splitting into two separate dojos AGAIN. Like nah please no more of that in S5.

- Terry Silver was an AMAZING addition. When I heard they were bringing him back, I assumed it was gonna be some forced nostalgia shyt, but nope, he brought it.

- I 100% thought it was gonna come out that Krease discovered he was Johnny's biological father. Would have explained him softening up.

- Miguel didn't bring it this year. A lot of us got a lil chubby during covid, but hopefully he's back to form in S5.

- Chozen being back was dope!

Question for those who finished like me. Having a little trouble understanding the character arcs for both Silver and Kreese this season.

- So I'm a bit confused on Silver going from 0 to 100. It seemed like he'd learned from his mistakes and was trying to bring legitimacy and decency to Cobra Kai, and then it was like after that episode where Krease threatened him, he snapped and went full supervillain. Down to cheat, beating up sting ray, paying off the refs. I don't really get it? Did ya'll interpret that as him trying to be decent but the real him awakened? That transition was weird to me.

- Same thing with Kreese? The fukk was that? He had Silver ease up off Johnny, which is totally NOT in his character, AND he told Tory to just go with the flow and do her thing in the final against Sam, which ALSO is NOT something Krease would do. If the first part is explained away by Silver saying Kreese has a soft spot for Johnny, then why was he considerate to Tory? Tory isn't connected to Johnny anymore at all.

Other than that, great ride. I hate how fast I finish it. Then we gotta wait all over again LOL. Hate it.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
so how do ya'll think
chozen gotta be integrated in S5?

we got that grand ass speech from daniel to miyagi's grave...and we've seen what chozen can do in S3...but how ya'll think they'll put it into use?

Since Daniel and Johnny are done, they'll use Chozen to start a new dojo to go after Cobra Kai. All of the kids will go there, and I'm sure Kreese will babyface turn in the end too.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Question for those who finished like me. Having a little trouble understanding the character arcs for both Silver and Kreese this season.

- So I'm a bit confused on Silver going from 0 to 100. It seemed like he'd learned from his mistakes and was trying to bring legitimacy and decency to Cobra Kai, and then it was like after that episode where Krease threatened him, he snapped and went full supervillain. Down to cheat, beating up sting ray, paying off the refs. I don't really get it? Did ya'll interpret that as him trying to be decent but the real him awakened? That transition was weird to me.

- Same thing with Kreese? The fukk was that? He had Silver ease up off Johnny, which is totally NOT in his character, AND he told Tory to just go with the flow and do her thing in the final against Sam, which ALSO is NOT something Krease would do. If the first part is explained away by Silver saying Kreese has a soft spot for Johnny, then why was he considerate to Tory? Tory isn't connected to Johnny anymore at all.

i just rewatched 3 and your first point falls right into silver's character, practically every point he played the long game there and in S4.

second point: remember in S3 and a bit here in S4 he does have a soft spot for tory. In S3, he helped fukk up that sleezy landlord, and helped tory get straight w/ helping her mom. Same in this season, when he confronted Amanda over tory.

so I think that's what the flashback in the finals was supposed to represent...he was reminded how he treated Johnny in the fimals and wanted not to make that same mistake

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Season 4 was great, a big step up from 3 (which to me was the weakest season)

I have some insights followed by a question. Both are spoilers obviously.

- As many of you have highlighted, Kenny was an excellent addition to the cast. Truly great character arc, and his relationship with Robby humanized him and made him a lot more enjoyable than he's been for any season prior.

- I found myself rooting for Tory hard this season despite how over the top fukked up she was in Season 2 and 3.

- Hawk's redemption arc was dope, but they need to bring back the mohawk for S5 lmaoooo.

- The LaRusso kids are both unbearable. Straight up. Wanted that kid to get his ass whooped so bad. It's hard for the viewer to disagree with Kenny's warpath when we saw how much they fukked with him all year.

- My main criticism of this season is that I feel, at this point, Danny and Johnny's beef is played out. I thought they squashed that shyt in S3, and while it's understandable there'd be growing pains working together, that shyt dragged on way too long. I was shocked when they ended up splitting into two separate dojos AGAIN. Like nah please no more of that in S5.

- Terry Silver was an AMAZING addition. When I heard they were bringing him back, I assumed it was gonna be some forced nostalgia shyt, but nope, he brought it.

- I 100% thought it was gonna come out that Krease discovered he was Johnny's biological father. Would have explained him softening up.

- Miguel didn't bring it this year. A lot of us got a lil chubby during covid, but hopefully he's back to form in S5.

- Chozen being back was dope!

Other than that, great ride. I hate how fast I finish it. Then we gotta wait all over again LOL. Hate it.
I was also confused as to why Terry went from 0 to 100 so fast. I feel like they kind of hinted that PTSD could've been a part of it, or maybe him snapping once he realized that Kreese had been playing him the whole time, but I didn't fully understand it either.

I understood the Kreese flip a little more. At least with Tory. He did go to her landlord in season 3 and threaten to chop his finger off once he found out that he was trying to get sexual favors from her in order to let her keep living there. Kreese seemed to have a soft spot for how troubled her life was. Also, I think Kreese was tired of Terry one-upping him and superseding what he considered to be his authority. I thought that's why Kreese gave Tory his blessing to fight the fight how she wanted to fight it. And I do think Kreese cares about Johnny in a warped and twisted way. It's not healthy, and he doesn't love Johnny in the true sense of the word, but I do think Kreese believes that he's still guiding Johnny in the proper direction. Even when Kreese was choking Johnny and breaking his trophy, in a weird way he still thought he was doing it for Johnny's sake. Toxic relationship.

I'm confused about the Terry Silver stuff though.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Thoughts re: Hawk
I love that they had Hawk beat Robby. Hawk in season 1 was arguably a better fighter than Miguel. He got DQ'd at the All Valley but was on his way to likely making the finals, and he embraced Cobra Kai before anyone else.

In season 2 at the very least, Hawk was up on the top tier with Miguel and Robby. One of the things that bugged me about the writers making Hawk and Dimitri rivals is that Hawk was light years ahead of Dimitri in terms of Karate skills and as a fighter. It felt like they'd already set up the Miguel and Robby rivalry, and Dimitri was the only logical choice for Hawk. But Hawk deserved to fight a better fighter than Dimitri or another B-card fighter, and it felt appropriate that Hawk completed his redemption arc and ended up in the All Valley Finals.