Official Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues Thread

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
i just rewatched 3 and your first point falls right into silver's character, practically every point he played the long game there and in S4.

second point: remember in S3 and a bit here in S4 he does have a soft spot for tory. In S3, he helped fukk up that sleezy landlord, and helped tory get straight w/ helping her mom. Same in this season, when he confronted Amanda over tory.

so I think that's what the flashback in the finals was supposed to represent...he was reminded how he treated Johnny in the fimals and wanted not to make that same mistake

Can you elaborate on your first point about Silver? How was the long game demonstrated?

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm assuming it was for the entire tournament, so while tory won fairly (as far as we can see), the ref prob let shyt slide in the other qualifier rounds
Technically she didn’t cause a point should be deducted and the fake out of bounds no point

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Season 4 was great, a big step up from 3 (which to me was the weakest season)

I have some insights followed by a question. Both are spoilers obviously.

- As many of you have highlighted, Kenny was an excellent addition to the cast. Truly great character arc, and his relationship with Robby humanized him and made him a lot more enjoyable than he's been for any season prior.

- I found myself rooting for Tory hard this season despite how over the top fukked up she was in Season 2 and 3.

- Hawk's redemption arc was dope, but they need to bring back the mohawk for S5 lmaoooo.

- The LaRusso kids are both unbearable. Straight up. Wanted that kid to get his ass whooped so bad. It's hard for the viewer to disagree with Kenny's warpath when we saw how much they fukked with him all year.

- My main criticism of this season is that I feel, at this point, Danny and Johnny's beef is played out. I thought they squashed that shyt in S3, and while it's understandable there'd be growing pains working together, that shyt dragged on way too long. I was shocked when they ended up splitting into two separate dojos AGAIN. Like nah please no more of that in S5.

- Terry Silver was an AMAZING addition. When I heard they were bringing him back, I assumed it was gonna be some forced nostalgia shyt, but nope, he brought it.

- I 100% thought it was gonna come out that Krease discovered he was Johnny's biological father. Would have explained him softening up.

- Miguel didn't bring it this year. A lot of us got a lil chubby during covid, but hopefully he's back to form in S5.

- Chozen being back was dope!

Question for those who finished like me. Having a little trouble understanding the character arcs for both Silver and Kreese this season.

- So I'm a bit confused on Silver going from 0 to 100. It seemed like he'd learned from his mistakes and was trying to bring legitimacy and decency to Cobra Kai, and then it was like after that episode where Krease threatened him, he snapped and went full supervillain. Down to cheat, beating up sting ray, paying off the refs. I don't really get it? Did ya'll interpret that as him trying to be decent but the real him awakened? That transition was weird to me.

- Same thing with Kreese? The fukk was that? He had Silver ease up off Johnny, which is totally NOT in his character, AND he told Tory to just go with the flow and do her thing in the final against Sam, which ALSO is NOT something Krease would do. If the first part is explained away by Silver saying Kreese has a soft spot for Johnny, then why was he considerate to Tory? Tory isn't connected to Johnny anymore at all.

Other than that, great ride. I hate how fast I finish it. Then we gotta wait all over again LOL. Hate it.

To explain about Kreese and Silver's relationship.

Silver is suffering from PTSD due to the capture and torture that they dealt in Vietnam. Kreese saved Silver in 'Nam and vowed to be forever in his debt. After the events that happened in Karate Kid 3, Silver got therapy and thought his villainous actions from that movie was due to his toxic relationship with Kreese and disavowed that life and tried to mask his true nature for those past 30 plus years. So when Kreese, who is a master manipulator approached Silver those decades later, Kreese knew that Silver's lifestyle was a front and it isn't his true self, even if Silver doesn't see it. But with Silver PTSD bubbling underneath alongside his undying loyalty to Kreese, he was breaking apart. Silver didn't technically go 0 to 100, if you watch again, you can see him slowly cracking throughout the entire series. Silver is legitimately mentally ill. And a man who is mentally ill that has endless money and power just for Kreese continuing to poke the bear, you would expect him to explode into full villain mode.

Silver had it correct when he said, "everyone has a weakness and that weakness can be exploited". He admitted that his loyalty to Kreese was his weakness and it was holding him back to become free to who he always was inside. Kreese actually was the only one who could keep him in check and Silver needed to get Kreese out of the way to be who he truly is.

As for Kreese, Silver said Kreese's weakness was Johnny. The irony that Miguel saw with Johnny is that Johnny is more like Kreese than he wants to believe or accept. They have the same kind of father/son relationship. And Kreese in an odd way always loved Johnny like a son and Silver sensed that when Kreese told Silver to stop beating up Johnny. This was what incensed Silver because it was the first time he ever saw Kreese choosing MERCY. So, with the Tory match with Sam, Kreese was reflecting on the foul shyt he told Johnny and what he did to Johnny after he lost in the aftermath of the first Karate Kid. He felt guilty and took that guilt to let Tory choose however she wants to fight, which he really didn't say she shouldn't cheat, BTW... but he was indifferent because of how he felt what he done with Johnny. That's the connection there.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Thoughts re: Hawk
I love that they had Hawk beat Robby. Hawk in season 1 was arguably a better fighter than Miguel. He got DQ'd at the All Valley but was on his way to likely making the finals, and he embraced Cobra Kai before anyone else.

In season 2 at the very least, Hawk was up on the top tier with Miguel and Robby. One of the things that bugged me about the writers making Hawk and Dimitri rivals is that Hawk was light years ahead of Dimitri in terms of Karate skills and as a fighter. It felt like they'd already set up the Miguel and Robby rivalry, and Dimitri was the only logical choice for Hawk. But Hawk deserved to fight a better fighter than Dimitri or another B-card fighter, and it felt appropriate that Hawk completed his redemption arc and ended up in the All Valley Finals.

Hawk losing to Demetri was just some shonen anime shyt, to make it make sense to me I just assumed he was too emotional, already winded by fighting a bunch of Miyagi-Do mooks and then had to chase Meat all around school. :dame:

I think he was under Miguel in season 1 but I agree that Hawk has always been a better fighter than Robby and has now surpassed Miguel. IMO going berserker style was what really got him most of his Ls.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I read they've started filming season 5 already and may already have a lot of it done. I bet he won't feature heavy, but he's too important of a character to write off.

Filming for S5 wrapped up a month ago. IIRC his Blue Beetle casting was pretty recent and they haven't started filming the movie yet so I don't think it messed with his Cobra Kai schedule.

This nikka Miguel got fat af during the time off

yeah breh needs to diet lol

Him and Moon's actress broke up, might be he been stress eating.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Can you elaborate on your first point about Silver? How was the long game demonstrated?
i would say the moment he kicks that wine bottle at his house, and accepts kreese's invite back.

once he reestablishes himself as kreese's co-sensei he starts to put in place his end game. Although I am making a big assumption that silver is well aware of how much kreese cares for johnny, since not long after he establishes himself as co-sensei, they have that weakness exercise/talk. That weakness talk is exactly where Silver decides to end Kreese

in KK3, silver doesn't really tell kreese how he'll turn daniel to train with him, just that he'll do it...so kreese wouldn't really know that silver is playing him in a similar way