Daps
Coming to on demand this Friday
full

1LurkerChick9

All Star
Daps
Talk about a missed opportunity

Story wasn’t solid
it was full of subplots that don’t lead to anything valuable for the audience. And they straight dropped a few completely, like what was the point?

It really lacked direction and was preachy as hell.

Listen,Black people already know how awful white people are, why spend so much time preaching to the choir? What is gained?
Ms. Morrison said it best: most content about race and calling out white people ends up becoming about race - and not actually making black people the subject.

They could have went in sooo many directions

And the ending!
They tried to make him as some sort of hero in the end but they lowkey spent the whole movie shytting on his character. He was a broke artist and apparently not even a good one , face and body progresssively getting all fukked up and grotesque-I felt sorry for him. And him dying in the end didn’t help. So now he’s just going to go around killing white people? What about his dreams? We didn’t even get to see his artistic dreams realized, like wtf, they just completely threw his character away to go after white people which is so problematic
Problematic as hell
And yes I know my expectations are high ,but black people deserved a much better film
:scust:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Pleas were copped for this in here. :francis:

There definitely needs to be a director's cut for this, but would it honestly make that much a difference? This movie seemed like it was more concerned with getting likes on Black twitter than being scary or entertaining. You gotta be Spike Lee level to be that on the nose with your themes/messages and make them work, and even he falls victim to his own design at times.

I'm sorry, but I'm about as done with these hamfisted social issue movies as I am with the slavery/civil rights ones.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I don't want to admit but I have to be honest, 90% of the dialogue to me felt like the writers were just checking off items that would please Black Twitter. The movie was literally force-feeding me its themes and messages. It doesn't really leave much for discussion because the movie tells you everything.
Title of the movie might as well have a damn hashtag in front of it :snoop:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Did anyone else feel like the portrayals of black men in this film were a bit typical especially considering a black woman was the director who clearly had a social commentary message in mind when making the film?

You had the jobless boyfriend who was living off of his professional girlfriend's dime. More than once they reinforced the fact that he was broke.

You had the feminine gay brother who was in an interracial relationship with a white man. Who really never even served a real point in the plot. It was clearly for "inclusion"

You had the lazily written Looney laundromat guy.
shyt was shameless and had all the prints of, dare I say, some shea butter twitter fingers. I'm too much of a regular Black dude to clap for this bullshyt.

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pleas were copped for this in here. :francis:

There definitely needs to be a director's cut for this, but would it honestly make that much a difference? This movie seemed like it was more concerned with getting likes on Black twitter than being scary or entertaining. You gotta be Spike Lee level to be that on the nose with your themes/messages and make them work, and even he falls victim to his own design at times.

I'm sorry, but I'm about as done with these hamfisted social issue movies as I am with the slavery/civil rights ones.
fukk it's that bad, saw a god copy on my Firestick and was gonna watch it tonight?

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
fukk it's that bad, saw a god copy on my Firestick and was gonna watch it tonight?
It's very disappointing. At best, it feels incomplete. Like a legit 30 minutes of development are missing.

Somebody said it in here too, there are scenes from the preview/trailer/commercial that don't even appear in the film.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Just watched, I was super excited for it.
It was fukking terrible :snoop: there wasn’t any buildup, it was all over the place and predictable,but the worst thing about it, it didn’t have any soul. This was corny as fukk, just some bland new black bullshyt.

I had to look up the director so I would know to advoid any of her future projects :snoop: also peele was a writer and I’m ready to chuck his ass in the bushes too, he's about to make me re-evaluate get-out because all of his shyt since has been horrible.

Last edited: