Official Candyman Thread

Mike18jj

Veteran
Daps
Great movie, I thought it did the orginal justice. Not sure what some of y'all were expecting from a movie that has this type of element in the 2021 with all the racism that is going on, I thought it did a great job of breaking down the injustice that is done to us by the police. If you ask me the first candyman should've been more like this one........

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Don't clown brehs, but I have not watched the original candyman, should I watch that before I watch this?

CBSwagga

All Star
Daps
Somebody originally said that this movie was a bit on the nose, and I agree. Candyman 2021 felt preachy with particular story points(gentrification for example). I also wasn't feeling the Burke character. He was a bit too coincidental in the film and felt like a lazy way to introduce Candyman. The film definitely has some great thoughts, but seeing that Peele, Decosta, and Rosenfield got screenwriting credits there were too many chefs in the kitchen for a focused story. 6/10. Decent directorial debut for Decosta though

CourtesyFlush

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great movie, I thought it did the orginal justice. Not sure what some of y'all were expecting from a movie that has this type of element in the 2021 with all the racism that is going on, I thought it did a great job of breaking down the injustice that is done to us by the police. If you ask me the first candyman should've been more like this one........

I was expecting something that was at least somewhat creepy and disturbing like the original. The actual killing scenes were all done horribly in the new one.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
The original movie was eerie in a way u don’t see in many mainstream horror films. It was just a feeling throughout and if u was from the hood u felt it even more. It felt like u could touch it. They was a racist tone to the whole thing purposely and it was subtle but there. This new movie lost all of the subtlety in the writing and in the cinematography. As well as the score. It missed the mark on all fronts and that’s the difference in why the original was a cult classic and this won’t even be remembered. That’s because it’s not memorable. This movie was ur run of the mill horror flick. The original was different than anything out at the time. The original was one of the few horror movies that had me legit shook in real life. One of my favorite horror movies of all time. This new one gets 2 thumbs down from me easily.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Another movie from around the time of the original, with social commentary, is The People Under the Stairs. It covered gentrification in a more subtle way, and while it wasn't scary, it was creepy. You also felt the danger of the situation. One of the main problems with this film is that you never felt that the protagonist was in any kind of danger - not personal, not with the police, not even with the transformation.

CBSwagga

All Star
Daps
I was expecting something that was at least somewhat creepy and disturbing like the original. The actual killing scenes were all done horribly in the new one.
I don't think I noticed any scares or creepy undertones at all in this one. Even my girl, who is easy to scare, had no problems after watching. That's the most disappointing part of this film. They took an utterly terrifying concept and film and made it (coincidentally) gentrified, watered-down remake. How they did that, I have no clue.

Gizza

Can’t find a job, YOU can rap at least
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norcal
Just saw this & the allegory of us being ____ is :wow:
R.I.P George Stinney(if you watched the end credits) & all the fallen.