patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
back from it

ill say this...candyman how they went about it was a hodge podge of ideas..and some of them just didnt work..if youve never watched any of the other candyman flicks, you will prolly really enjoy this..if you have you will pick this apart

looks like what i said about it was on point lol

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Everyone in here talking about the og film
But did you mother fukkers read the story in the books of blood tho

zY3c59V.jpg

Not sure what that has to do with anything though. "The Forbidden" has very little in common with these movies.

Fred.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Can someone explain the movie to me kinda had trouble following the story and never saw the original.

So the candy man is a manifestation of all the senseless violence that occurs in poor areas?

Anthony was the baby that was supposed to be thrown in the fire? And that connects him to the candy man?

Then what was the point of the critic and Anthony going back and forth about how artist are the first to gentrify low income neighborhoods?

I did think it was cool how so many things happen through mirrors and reflections, is that supposed to mean that there is no candy man, where doing it all to ourselves?

The ending was weird too? Why were all the cops white? There’s no black, Hispanic, or Asian cops in Chicago? Is the movie trying to say that only the white cops are bad?

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My qualm with the social commentary is that the film attempts to make these social connections in this very linear and - dare I say - ham-fisted way which detracts from the overall story arch, because ultimately the occurrences of the film are contingent upon those same shoehorned plot points. They should have just made the best movie they could absolutely make, and let the story go wherever it went, naturally. However, this movie is so concerned with being "aware" that they are trying to make sure they tell the story vis-a-vis certain beats: police brutality, underrepresentation, gentrification, white people dictating what it means to be successful, etc. For example, we've already seen that Candyman kills indiscriminately. Additionally, Candyman speaks to a certain wanton hubris and ethos in our age: the inability to reconcile or account for things outside of our own experience(s). "Man, ain't no nikka with no hook for a hand killing people in your hood. Let's say his name right now :mjlol:." Lastly, Candyman is an artist at heart in search of a muse and in death his proverbial art is death. Anyone that is not that muse is in grave danger if he is beckoned. In turn, why change the entire mythos of the character to make him some kind of vengeful protector of black people? Unless, as I mentioned, you are trying to hit certain touch points in your storytelling. Which rarely makes a good film because instead of being character driven the story becomes plot driven, and plot driven stories generally are way less effective/compelling in any medium, in my opinion. There's about 10 things that happened in this movie so someone in the writing room could be like, "Yep. We checked that off!"

What's crazy is the baby tie in to the first move is a really dope idea. There's so many ways they could have taken that.

Oh well, :snoop:

- signed a sociologist

This film goes hard on the idea of Candyman as an urban legend. Urban legends constantly evolve throughout the years they are told just like any oral tradition. Daniel Robitaille is the original story, but the story shifted throughout the years to have different incarnations with the only most consistent detail is that Candyman is a Black man who was tragically murdered by a White mob.

Anthony's incarnation was specifically engineered to be a instrument of Black vengeance, but we saw the Sherman incarnation kill a Black girl.

The film has some interesting concepts, but it's too short to fully flesh them out. The plot thickens and then it just ends abruptly. There is no real payoff and it almost feels like there is no second half at all.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can someone explain the movie to me kinda had trouble following the story and never saw the original.

So the candy man is a manifestation of all the senseless violence that occurs in poor areas?

Anthony was the baby that was supposed to be thrown in the fire? And that connects him to the candy man?

Then what was the point of the critic and Anthony going back and forth about how artist are the first to gentrify low income neighborhoods?

I did think it was cool how so many things happen through mirrors and reflections, is that supposed to mean that there is no candy man, where doing it all to ourselves?

The ending was weird too? Why were all the cops white? There’s no black, Hispanic, or Asian cops in Chicago? Is the movie trying to say that only the white cops are bad?

Watch the original when you get a chance

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I liked it, the "horror" of the movie is the effect racism can have and how it can effect people who aren't racist. Don't know how I feel about the ending though, I mean I guess the cops got trigger happy because those white girls died, similar to how the original candyman got beat to death because that white girl found a razor in her candy, just felt forced tbh