Official Candyman Thread

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Theme song seqgue into reverse credits, and OG Candyman's first appearance was enthralling :whoo:

...constant gentrification talk; useless cuttaway shots took me out the lore, tho:lupe:

How dare they show the GAWD for a snippet with that SYFY CGI FUKKERY:dame:

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
gotta echo the length...hour 30 seemed a little short...could have udsed at least 10-20 mins more...third act definitely felt rushed.

colman domingo killed it

troy was extra, but he was :russ:
Went from a smooth-talker to erratic hood carver:lupe::huhldup::whoo:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
I did not buy the whole angle that the laundromat manager guy was some kind of mastermind psycho lunatic. I didn't give a damn about his backstory, and I didn't buy that he was some kind of villain.

That shyt came out of nowhere. It was also way too convenient for the main character to just happen across this guy and for that guy to recognize him and begin his master plan.

The whole baby subplot wasn't clear either. The whole movie had issues. Too many loose ends.

That abrupt ending wasn't it either.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I did not buy the whole angle that the laundromat manager guy was some kind of mastermind psycho lunatic. I didn't give a damn about his backstory, and I didn't buy that he was some kind of villain.

That shyt came out of nowhere. It was also way too convenient for the main character to just happen across this guy and for that guy to recognize him and begin his master plan.

The whole baby subplot wasn't clear either. The whole movie had issues. Too many loose ends.

That abrupt ending wasn't it either.

Seems like there is an extended cut that needs to be release. You can tell there were scenes cut out between the time Anthony went inside the bando and the time he got his hand cut off in a trance state. Also there was a scene where Anthony was accepting his faith as Candyman that allegedly got cut with Helen present. It happened right after he got killed by the cops.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Theme song seqgue into reverse credits, and OG Candyman's first appearance was enthralling :whoo:

...constant gentrification talk; useless cuttaway shots took me out the lore, tho:lupe:

How dare they show the GAWD for a snippet with that SYFY CGI FUKKERY:dame:
Went from

giphy.webp

to

wait-nowords.gif

when I saw that. :beli:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally saw it. It's good. The problem is that it feels like more of a "short" or even a "part 1" than an actual full length narrative. It feels like the film ends just as it is about let loose. My shallow criticism is that the kills needed more bite, needed to be more visceral. Other than that the atmosphere is great, the acting is great, good cinematography, good score, all the technicals were on point basically. Very arthouse.

As for the social commentary. I was expecting worse than what I got based on the bytching.* Outside of a few bits of clunky dialogue, it wasn't a significant issue. What let's this film down is it's lack of a real climax imo, what's there is very unsatisfying imo. I hope there is a director's cut and it's released, but I doubt it will happen.

*I know people get uncomfortable when Black people start complaining about White folks on screen especially when they're in the audience.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Did anyone else feel like the portrayals of black men in this film were a bit typical especially considering a black woman was the director who clearly had a social commentary message in mind when making the film?

You had the jobless boyfriend who was living off of his professional girlfriend's dime. More than once they reinforced the fact that he was broke.

You had the feminine gay brother who was in an interracial relationship with a white man. Who really never even served a real point in the plot. It was clearly for "inclusion"

You had the lazily written Looney laundromat guy.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seems like there is an extended cut that needs to be release. You can tell there were scenes cut out between the time Anthony went inside the bando and the time he got his hand cut off in a trance state. Also there was a scene where Anthony was accepting his faith as Candyman that allegedly got cut with Helen present. It happened right after he got killed by the cops.

the scene with his moms def needed to be longer because he just walked out like fukk it candyman wanted me dead so fukk that i survived this long let me lay down.

They implied he was possessed by the bee but some things u gotta explain at least a lil. Show that the laundry nikka had a fukked up bee sting too or something

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
the scene with his moms def needed to be longer because he just walked out like fukk it candyman wanted me dead so fukk that i survived this long let me lay down.

They implied he was possessed by the bee but some things u gotta explain at least a lil. Show that the laundry nikka had a fukked up bee sting too or something

They could have had Burke explain his transformation instead of just letting the audience assume it. Like basically be like "Dude your fukked, you said his name, he choose you to be his next ghoul". They cut the scene where Anthony was in the mirror looking how his body was transforming as well similar to The Fly from the trailer. Yep man they cut too much out the film.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Finally saw it. It's good. The problem is that it feels like more of a "short" or even a "part 1" than an actual full length narrative. It feels like the film ends just as it is about let loose. My shallow criticism is that the kills needed more bite, needed to be more visceral. Other than that the atmosphere is great, the acting is great, good cinematography, good score, all the technicals were on point basically. Very arthouse.

As for the social commentary. I was expecting worse than what I got based on the bytching.* Outside of a few bits of clunky dialogue, it wasn't a significant issue. What let's this film down is it's lack of a real climax imo, what's there is very unsatisfying imo. I hope there is a director's cut and it's released, but I doubt it will happen.

*I know people get uncomfortable when Black people start complaining about White folks on screen especially when they're in the audience.

My qualm with the social commentary is that the film attempts to make these social connections in this very linear and - dare I say - ham-fisted way which detracts from the overall story arch, because ultimately the occurrences of the film are contingent upon those same shoehorned plot points. They should have just made the best movie they could absolutely make, and let the story go wherever it went, naturally. However, this movie is so concerned with being "aware" that they are trying to make sure they tell the story vis-a-vis certain beats: police brutality, underrepresentation, gentrification, white people dictating what it means to be successful, etc. For example, we've already seen that Candyman kills indiscriminately. Additionally, Candyman speaks to a certain wanton hubris and ethos in our age: the inability to reconcile or account for things outside of our own experience(s). "Man, ain't no nikka with no hook for a hand killing people in your hood. Let's say his name right now :mjlol:." Lastly, Candyman is an artist at heart in search of a muse and in death his proverbial art is death. Anyone that is not that muse is in grave danger if he is beckoned. In turn, why change the entire mythos of the character to make him some kind of vengeful protector of black people? Unless, as I mentioned, you are trying to hit certain touch points in your storytelling. Which rarely makes a good film because instead of being character driven the story becomes plot driven, and plot driven stories generally are way less effective/compelling in any medium, in my opinion. There's about 10 things that happened in this movie so someone in the writing room could be like, "Yep. We checked that off!"

What's crazy is the baby tie in to the first move is a really dope idea. There's so many ways they could have taken that.

Oh well, :snoop:

- signed a sociologist