Official Candyman Thread

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Killing is what kept his legend alive. Akin to Freddy Kreuger. Without people knowing,, he doesn't or can't exist. His connection to da one in da film is based on da fact that all of them died due to white supremacy/racism and a string of murders occurred after each anytime it occurred.
So while Sherman Fields was Candyman to Burke, that wasn't da case to others. Helen, for example who got da OG iteration of Daniel Robataille. And other residents of Cabrini Green at da time. Cause again, after each unjust murder, there'd be a string of murders so everyone had a different idea of Candyman was to him but at da core of it, da legend was da same to everyone.

That was said, but once again...having 2 doesn't work within this film. It didn't follow it's own rules. Why would one be the one that appeared IF Anthony is the direct link? It should have been Tony Todd. And if the one that appeared is the one doing the killing of everyone, what do you need the OG or a new one for? Why do you need a sacrifice to make sure it lives on? The current state of the movies, the killing and media attention, his descent into, isn't needed. Even the one used in the film...let's say he ended up just out for revenge for everyone that harmed him. The legend would be when you say his name, he comes and kills corrupt cops, because at no point was Anthony ever in danger, or even a suspect. And there was nothing in the movie that happened to Anthony that gives him a reason to be a punisher of the guilty.

The end fukks up everything in the movie that came before. The one portrayed in the movie has no resolution.he's not even the one in the final scene. I guess he's done his job, so he disappears. As for the viewers that never noticed the commentary of the OG, it was because it was more subtle, so there's nothing extra to take you out off the movie. I didn't read the Clive Barker's story but it's my understanding that it was social commentary too. Damn near all horror is.

At some point it seems they wanted to focus on the messages...the 2 different messages...than the actual plot.

Last edited:

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I liked the movie, I read some of y’all takes. I can see the arguments. I was def confused at where they were gonna go with the way it ended.

Also how his gf use his name in her defense… made candyman an anti hero???

The whole production scenes images being in reverse was a dope touch and I def liked the explanations.

I’ll give this a 7.5/10 possibly a 7 but nothing lower… I thought the cinematography was great

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
I figured it out. He was obviously responsible for what happened to him. He just wanted to give you candy. Then you scream like a girl. :stopitslime:

I think he might have been mentally ill. Candyman.

Then he gets beaten to death. I don't really understand why he put a hook on dudes hand at the end.:ohhh: