Official Candyman Thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I felt like I understood what was happening from the point the white cat was explaining black art to a black man. I appreciate them flipping the legacy to being a protector from being a villain. I loved that shyt. It was a little on the nose that white folks were the only ones playing with his name and getting murdered, but by the end I was cheering it on.......also, Teyonah Parris is :ohlawd: both acting and vibe wise

yeah the prior movies are always from the POV of the white folks tryna investigate the legend while this one showed to a degree the POV of the black folks who had to live amongst him so they really didn’t need to be as on the nose as they were

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I definitely peeped that. The only straight black man was a broke artist living off his woman.

I agree that this was a lot more style than substance. The acting was phenomenal, the cinematography was also fantastic along with a lot of the direction. The script is where it lost me. As others have mentioned, too much hammer over the head points about police brutality, gentrification, etc. ironically, it was just like Anthony’s first painting. It was nothing nuanced or thought provoking, which would’ve made up for the lack of horror.

The horror was basically completely stripped away imo. It had its moments, but the fear factor just wasn’t there, which was slightly disappointing. Decent watch and I’ll watch it again once it hits streaming services.

if there is a part two, I’d like to see a conflict between the different Candymen and Anthony, since Anthony was basically forced into it. That could be a great angle and story.
They did it subtle enough where the avg conditioned black person won’t call out how straight black men are presented in this but yeah it was more of the same with how we are presented as cannon fodder/utility and aren’t nothing on our own merit or work (just look at how the main character finally became popular).

spike Lee’s movie da blood of Jesus was trash but you can see a parallel with the main characters but at least Breh in that wasn’t a bum living off his lady who is super woman and finds success with everything she does while he can’t get right

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only white people died probably
Or they thought it was flat

I didnt realize that til the end but that brought the story together for me given where they went with the story.

I agree with breh that it went way more on style and wokeness besides real horror but i liked it because the OG and sequel explains calling him candyman was an insult So i took that flip as white folks mocking our shyt singing rap songs doing the dances but not respecting us so he murder they a$$ like a spirit if vengeance.

i stayed away from spoilers but watching the OG so many times when i saw the trailer with ol girl from the 1st i figured it out the twist in the first 15 minutes. I loved the tie in but they didnt give a great explanation why he was chosen. Maybe if we get a part 2 it’ll go into that but if they dont its cool too because farewell to the flesh gave Robotaille a great back story in my opinion

90 mins was too short for me but the OGs were about that same time too. Oh and i need the end montage downloaded.

i give it 8/10. The zesty brother was forced as hell to me

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I didnt realize that til the end but that brought the story together for me given where they went with the story.

I agree with breh that it went way more on style and wokeness besides real horror but i liked it because the OG and sequel explains calling him candyman was an insult So i took that flip as white folks mocking our shyt singing rap songs doing the dances but not respecting us so he murder they a$$ like a spirit if vengeance.

i stayed away from spoilers but watching the OG so many times when i saw the trailer with ol girl from the 1st i figured it out the twist in the first 15 minutes. I loved the tie in but they didnt give a great explanation why he was chosen. Maybe if we get a part 2 it’ll go into that but if they dont its cool too because farewell to the flesh gave Robotaille a great back story in my opinion

90 mins was too short for me but the OGs were about that same time too. Oh and i need the end montage downloaded.

i give it 8/10. The zesty brother was forced as hell to me

To be honest, was there even a twist? It was known that Anthony is Candyman just by the posters.
The only twist I can think off was the William character pulling the strings and mentioning Candyman to Anthony after years of people vowing not to say his name again. Basically restarting the legend and spreading this name again in the streets aka the white girls getting murdered in the restroom.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be honest, was there even a twist? It was known that Anthony is Candyman just by the posters.
The only twist I can think off was the William character pulling the strings and mentioning Candyman to Anthony after years of people vowing not to say his name again. Basically restarting the legend and spreading this name again in the streets aka the white girls getting murdered in the restroom.

the twist of him being the baby from the original but they didnt go into that connection in detail because it just looked like he was going to be just a sacrifice not a new vessel etc.

The OG candyman was spitting them bars talking about his congregation so thats why i wasnt bothered by william leading him down that path like the deranged disciple but it looks like things were cut showing a natural progression to his motives.

I just remembered they hinted at his girls pops being murdered and he was an artist too so if they do a pt 2 they probably hint that she is a great grand daughter of candyman like anna in pt 2

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
the twist of him being the baby from the original but they didnt go into that connection in detail because it just looked like he was going to be just a sacrifice not a new vessel etc.

The OG candyman was spitting them bars talking about his congregation so thats why i wasnt bothered by william leading him down that path like the deranged disciple but it looks like things were cut showing a natural progression to his motives.

I just remembered they hinted at his girls pops being murdered and he was an artist too so if they do a pt 2 they probably hint that she is a great grand daughter of candyman like anna in pt 2

I did not think that was the twist neither after showing Vanessa Williams in the trailer, but that plot line was all over the net before the movie went in production too.

calh45

Cal
Daps
People like this speak from a place of jealousy and hate. I also can’t take them seriously because they’re not around black people in their daily lives and are the negro whisperer for their white, corporate payola backed website.

It’s one thing to not like a movie, it’s not another to trash black “art” because you weren’t good enough to ever be a part of those circles. I can also just about guarantee she loved Lovecraft Country, which was truly a mess.

One of these days someone is going to have to explain who actually loved Lovecraft Country. The only people in real life who loved that show were the white people I know. As much as they loved it I hated that show. I've only seen twitter folks going hard for it and I'm assuming it's because they're Misha Green fans.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did not think that was the twist neither after showing Vanessa Williams in the trailer, but that plot line was all over the net before the movie went in production too.

thats why i avoided all spoilers and leaks online after that trailer. Black people cheered at the end with u kno who getting that work and the white folks grumbled. Glad they took it there but that wouldve hit harder if it came out last year

:russ:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Oh yeah I remember her. I don't think she has liked any Black film, at least in recent years? I mean after a while you start to notice a trend and she seems to be biased against or have stricter standards for Black film.
Hot take not so hot, but isn't that most Black movie watchers on Black films? :jbhmm:

I actually thought the running time was a plus. Refreshing to see something come in around 90 mins. Most slashers were around that time back in the day.
Bring back shorter movies! Scrolling through the thread and y'all telling me a 90 min movie is too short? Are you mad?! :gucci:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Hot take not so hot, but isn't that most Black movie watchers on Black films? :jbhmm:

Bring back shorter movies! Scrolling through the thread and y'all telling me a 90 min movie is too short? Are you mad?! :gucci:

The third act looks like at least 10 mins was removed. Like it is edited and paced really bad. And the movie ends so awkward.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
Yeah Anthony looked so defeated right before getting his hand sawed off. There had to be some missing scenes prior to that point in the film. I agree Anthony had no will to fight for his life like he nothing to lose and just was going to accept his faith. Helen seemed so much stronger of a character than Anthony. She did not give up at all no matter if it sacrificed her on life at the end. Now my only gripe of the OG film was that goofy ass ending with her killing that funny looking dude at the end. Seemed so forced and Hollywood.

What's your take on Burke just flippin' like that??? I wanna know his motivations.