Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
At the movies goofy lol
It was sold out seen a couple white people leave

Crowd was weak tho hella crowded but weak

The end they did get a lil geeked up
America really hates cop :russ:
I would call you a goofy but I don't subscribe to that goofy shyt. I'm from California. So shut up mark. :troll:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
It was too short needed some extra meat :dame:

I was like that’s it :gucci:

Yaya made me want to hit the gym harder

I’m telling you incel nikkas it’s a cheat code :ufdup:

that :dame: moscato was funny didn’t feel like he was thrown in there just to be in there

calh45

Cal
Daps
Laundromat dude literally had zero motive to even do this lmfao, he literally watched Candy man kill his fam members. It would be one thing if they had a scene where he was a kid and cops were harassing them and Candyman killed the cops and was like, keep my name alive you are forever in debt to me, if you dont ill come back for you, but nah dude randomly turned psycho.

as I said earlier all style, little substance. We get happy seeing ourselves depicted living fancy bougie lives, in sexy city condos, working careers we are passionate about that some how affords us super expensive lifestyles, we then suspend logic because the packaging looks good. When I think of black filmmakers right now I think Ryan Cooler is the only cat making films grounded in reality of the avg black person. its 2021 and we still using 1998 comic view 'black folks be like.....white folks be like' jokes

I felt like I understood what was happening from the point the white cat was explaining black art to a black man. I appreciate them flipping the legacy to being a protector from being a villain. I loved that shyt. It was a little on the nose that white folks were the only ones playing with his name and getting murdered, but by the end I was cheering it on.......also, Teyonah Parris is :ohlawd: both acting and vibe wise

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This was another case of style over substance in many modern “black film”. Not sure if the studios forced Nia’s hand with the 90 min. I feel 2 hrs would have been good for this.

lol also damn everyone in this film is successful in their fields other than the black men.
:russ::mjlol::francis::martin:
I definitely peeped that. The only straight black man was a broke artist living off his woman.

I agree that this was a lot more style than substance. The acting was phenomenal, the cinematography was also fantastic along with a lot of the direction. The script is where it lost me. As others have mentioned, too much hammer over the head points about police brutality, gentrification, etc. ironically, it was just like Anthony’s first painting. It was nothing nuanced or thought provoking, which would’ve made up for the lack of horror.

The horror was basically completely stripped away imo. It had its moments, but the fear factor just wasn’t there, which was slightly disappointing. Decent watch and I’ll watch it again once it hits streaming services.

if there is a part two, I’d like to see a conflict between the different Candymen and Anthony, since Anthony was basically forced into it. That could be a great angle and story.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
She almost deserves her own thread. But yea she lowkey gave away her bias/feeling of today's movies

The first thing she's quoting seems like something @klutch2381 brought up a while ago.

People like this speak from a place of jealousy and hate. I also can’t take them seriously because they’re not around black people in their daily lives and are the negro whisperer for their white, corporate payola backed website.

It’s one thing to not like a movie, it’s not another to trash black “art” because you weren’t good enough to ever be a part of those circles. I can also just about guarantee she loved Lovecraft Country, which was truly a mess.