Official Candyman Thread

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
As someone who swore off Candyman since I was a child I'll say this one did not scare me. They honed in on the things that are of discussion in the black community. Correct me if Im wrong I felt like Anthony was more of a vessel than anything or just (insert a person here) interpretation of whom Candyman was. Overall, I give the movie a B+ I would definitely see it again.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Hot take not so hot, but isn't that most Black movie watchers on Black films? :jbhmm:

Bring back shorter movies! Scrolling through the thread and y'all telling me a 90 min movie is too short? Are you mad?! :gucci:

short films are good if they gonna be turnt up kill fest which this is not. The whole angle with ol girl and her pops was useless and i assume they cut out elements to reach the run time.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
As someone who swore off Candyman since I was a child I'll say this one did not scare me. They honed in on the things that are of discussion in the black community. Correct me if Im wrong I felt like Anthony was more of a vessel than anything or just (insert a person here) interpretation of whom Candyman was. Overall, I give the movie a B+ I would definitely see it again.

candyman in this view is just an alegory for black men being lynched over the years and folks forgetting who the actual man was, thats fine but this didnt do a good job making you care, and with us being black you dont have to make us care because this is our history thus no need to be so on the nose.

its like in Django you didnt need to tell us slavery was wrong for us to feel folks being killed is justified. This is another case of a movie not made for “us”, because they use intellectual subtitles to make non blacks who watch this not feel guilty.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
They did it subtle enough where the avg conditioned black person won’t call out how straight black men are presented in this but yeah it was more of the same with how we are presented as cannon fodder/utility and aren’t nothing on our own merit or work (just look at how the main character finally became popular).

Now that you word it that way, I definitely peeped that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Now that you word it that way, I definitely peeped that.

yeah it wasnt presented in a over the top manner but it was the same ol troup. Dude could have been successful and the story could still work. Or both could have been struggling to make it in their lanes, but the chick was the super successful trailblazer with the bummy black dude who aint going nowhere (evident with them saying his mom told her give him money so he wont ask her, ol girls brother talking down on him, etc).

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What's your take on Burke just flippin' like that??? I wanna know his motivations.

His flip out and motivations were confusing to me. So he states he was waiting for the baby to return, but if it was not for Troy telling that story he was never seen Anthony. So now he wants to manufacture his own Candyman and now make him some sort of avenger to get rid of the white folks and crooked policemen. Yet didnt Candyman kill your sister or was that some random flashback scene being showed without no concept? I would of have thought Burke would want some revenge of his own if Candyman killed his sister or maybe he felt he was in debt to him because he did not say anything to the cops when he got beat down.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
His flip out and motivations were confusing to me. So he states he was waiting for the baby to return, but if it was not for Troy telling that story he was never seen Anthony. So now he wants to manufacture his own Candyman and now make him some sort of avenger to get rid of the white folks and crooked policemen. Yet didnt Candyman kill your sister or was that some random flashback scene being showed without no concept? I would of have thought Burke would want some revenge of his own if Candyman killed his sister or maybe he felt he was in debt to him because he did not say anything to the cops when he got beat down.

the bee sting early in the film already showed breh was “choosen”, so clearly Burke was working for the spirit but they literally never painted that picture or even one that burke was a spirit which he wasnt. Hell even the flashback of burkes family members made no sense

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
the bee sting early in the film already showed breh was “choosen”, so clearly Burke was working for the spirit but they literally never painted that picture or even one that burke was a spirit which he wasnt. Hell even the flashback of burkes family members made no sense

I wonder even if he did get stung, if he would of never summoned Candyman, what would have happened? Or was it is his destiny all along? Or did Burke interfere with the plan? Candyman did not kill him instantly as well after getting summoned the first time.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I wonder even if he did get stung, if he would of never summoned Candyman, what would have happened? Or was it is his destiny all along? Or did Burke interfere with the plan? Candyman did not kill him instantly as well after getting summoned the first time.

This is just poor writing, dont even try to make sense of it. The elevator scene showed when he became Candyman, Burke was just there to finish the ritual. My thing is they did a poor job using Burke as the vehicle and instead made him look like a random psycho. All they had to do was show a flashback of Candyman saving Burke or coming to Burke after the cops killed him saying “why did you let me die?”, and show something where Burke made a deal to keep Candymans name alive in exchange for his life.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This is just poor writing, dont even try to make sense of it. The elevator scene showed when he became Candyman, Burke was just there to finish the ritual. My thing is they did a poor job using Burke as the vehicle and instead made him look like a random psycho. All they had to do was show a flashback of Candyman saving Burke or coming to Burke after the cops killed him saying “why did you let me die?”, and show something where Burke made a deal to keep Candymans name alive in exchange for his life.

Anthonys mom mention someone had broke the bat and so the person was Burke. We really needed a scene where Burke is convincing Anthony to sacrifice himself even though he was already a dead man walking for saying Candyman in the mirror from earlier in the movie. Yeah the writing was weak in areas. Jordan Peele had the same issue in US.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
the twist of him being the baby from the original but they didnt go into that connection in detail because it just looked like he was going to be just a sacrifice not a new vessel etc.

The OG candyman was spitting them bars talking about his congregation so thats why i wasnt bothered by william leading him down that path like the deranged disciple but it looks like things were cut showing a natural progression to his motives.

I just remembered they hinted at his girls pops being murdered and he was an artist too so if they do a pt 2 they probably hint that she is a great grand daughter of candyman like anna in pt 2

her pops wasn’t murdered he committed suicide nikka was looney

He jumped out that window talking bout he can fly
:gucci:

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702

How did Burke know what to do anyways as to complete da ritual??? That also goes unanswered.