Official Candyman Thread

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I'm really not understanding how dawg ain't go to da hospital in da 1st fukkin' place when he seent his hand was fukked off behind that sting. And his gal ain't shyt for not telling him to go get that shyt checked out. SN: I was hoping for an appearance from an older Jake (lil' dude from da OG movie). Also, I'm still not clear on what Burke's motivation was. He was seemingly obsessed.
It’s weird because Burke didn’t really give me obsessive vibes prior to all that, even during his storytelling, so once I watched everything unfold it kinda came out of left field. A Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde like switch.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
It’s weird because Burke didn’t really give me obsessive vibes prior to all that, even during his storytelling, so once I watched everything unfold it kinda came out of left field. A Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde like switch.

Did Anthony reveal that has THE Anthony McCoy as to how Burke knew??? Matter of fact, stupid question. He would've seen on da news when he was mentioned regarding his exhibit.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I’m waiting for the review from @darealvelle. Recent series of events came to light last night about this movie that could cause a sudden and immediate physical reaction that I am predisposed to and he can also relate to.

Don’t laugh at me for this, Reh but as I mentioned in the official horror thread: I have Trypophobia. (I’m deadass and Not joking).
:mjcry:
They saying if you got trypophobia the movie may be :noah: to watch. All them honey comb and bees circling.
:mjcry:
Here Are Some Horrifying Facts About The Fear Of Clusters Of Holes

Candyman threads on Twitter read like a support group now. The rabbit hole has opened up.
:mjtf:

200.gif

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Seems folks get unusually upset anytime these movies have any kinda social commentary regarding da plight of Black folks.

For me, I hate when it's heavy handed. You don't have to spell it out all of the time. I love satire, but satire has more subtleties. A lot of people don't so it has to be explained, but don't overdo it. They had the same exact discussion about gentrification with every white character. That's overdoing it. The very first one was the only one needed, the comment about artists for emphasis, and Domingo's introduction was all that we needed...then continue with the story. OG Candyman has social commentary too...most horror has some...but it didn't beat you over the head with it. This was a modern storytelling style, that I don't think fully worked here.

Show more of why there are multiples, and the connection. Follow her for more of her backstory, or leave it out completely. And show someone's descent with regards to the murders.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
For me, I hate when it's heavy handed. You don't have to spell it out all of the time. I love satire, but satire has more subtleties. A lot of people don't so it has to be explained, but don't overdo it. They had the same exact discussion about gentrification with every white character. That's overdoing it. The very first one was the only one needed, the comment about artists for emphasis, and Domingo's introduction was all that we needed...then continue with the story. OG Candyman has social commentary too...most horror has some...but it didn't beat you over the head with it. This was a modern storytelling style, that I don't think fully worked here.

Show more of why there are multiples, and the connection. Follow her for more of her backstory, or leave it out completely. And show someone's decent with regards to the murders.

there was one scene that was MESSAGE and then in the end they kinda force a scenario that didnt need to be forced as we already know what happens from history + them painting the seeds early with the orgin.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Yeah hes not lying....its very "vivid" in this movie lol
Thanks for letting me know. Disappointed. I feel like they could have put a warning or disclaimer ahead of time on the website - like they do on movies with flashing light sequences for people who are prone to seizures and epileptic fits. I know it’s not as common but still- been waiting forever for this to drop.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Good
Nia DaCosta is a skilled director and she has some pretty cool directing moments in this movie.
The acting was great especially from Colman Domingo.
Anthony's descent into madness/possession was well done as far as Yahya Mateen's acting.
It was cool seeing Vanessa Williams come back even though I would've used her more.
The story of Sherman was the highlight of the movie for me. And Sherman's Candyman was a really cool take on the character.
The surprise at the end delighted the horror geek in me.

The Bad
The movie felt slight. Like it was just a bunch of characters having random moments without much connecting tissue or a smooth flow to the proceedings.
There was some incredibly heavy-handed stuff with the police and about artists and the racial dynamics of the art community that could've been handled with a bit more nuance.
The last part of the movie went completely off the rails with a lot of the mythology that we'd had the entire movie explaining to us being just upended with no real explanation given.
The kills were a disappointment. There were not enough of them for one and way too much of the actual killing was done either off-screen or shot in a way that you really don't see any of it clearly.

I give Candyman (2021) two and half Daniel Robitaille's

13ntkYF.png
13ntkYF.png
OBqUWxE.png

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I also wish this was more gory but im desensitized as hell, and that Halloween coming out after this is gonna be turnt as hell so i kind of selfishly wish this was more turnt
That was one of my issues with it too.
I had to check after the movie was over to make sure it was R rated because the kills leaned more towards a PG-13 horror movie.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

Show more of why there are multiples, and the connection. Follow her for more of her backstory, or leave it out completely. And show someone's decent with regards to the murders.

I feel you. I usually like a lot more subtly as well, but this wasn't really designed to be subtle. I also blame this on the marketing. It was promoted as a traditional horror like the original, but this version is more of a performative dramatic message with horror elements. The commercials were misleading and I think will contribute to a lot of the discontent. Once I saw what they were doing, I let go of my horror expectations and just sunk into it. Honestly, at times this felt more like a play you'd see on stage than a movie.