Official Candyman Thread

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Wasn't crazy about this. A bit too on the nose. And the finale was weak. 3 stars and that's being generous.

I preferred The Night House which I also peeped this week. (In b4 :mjpls: and elevated horror)
Heard that movie has an amazing jump scare. I totally forgot it was out.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I feel you. I usually like a lot more subtly as well, but this wasn't really designed to be subtle. I also blame this on the marketing. It was promoted as a traditional horror like the original, but this version is more of a performative dramatic message with horror elements. The commercials were misleading and I think will contribute to a lot of the discontent. Once I saw what they were doing, I let go of my horror expectations and just sunk into it. Honestly, at times this felt more like a play you'd see on stage than a movie.

this is my issue with modern black film, it’s tooooo damn on the nose as if it’s being made for people who do think pieces vs being pure artistic vision. Someone said it in another thread but many spike Lee films have that issue. Shot BEAUTIFULLY, but feels the audience is too dumb where they gottta spell out the message super plain lol.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
That was one of my issues with it too.
I had to check after the movie was over to make sure it was R rated because the kills leaned more towards a PG-13 horror movie.
Y’all for real? PG-13 horror? :dwillhuh:

I mean a woman’s throat was vividly shown to be slit open. The violence could be considered subtle compared to recent horror but when it embraced the gore, they still didn’t shy away.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

:picard::deadmanny:
Nothing scares me - not blood, gore, ghosts, I’m a horror movie fan-addict so imagine my one setback being clusters of holes, bubbles, circle patterns. I hate being an observer and not a participant rn - Guess I’ll find something else to watch. It’s not fair
:sadbron::snooze:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Y’all for real? PG-13 horror? :dwillhuh:

I mean a woman’s throat was vividly shown to be slit open. The violence could be considered subtle compared to recent horror but when it embraced the gore, they still didn’t shy away.
Maybe they cut stuff to meet the time requirements

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
The Good
Nia DaCosta is a skilled director and she has some pretty cool directing moments in this movie.
The acting was great especially from Colman Domingo.
Anthony's descent into madness/possession was well done as far as Yahya Mateen's acting.
It was cool seeing Vanessa Williams come back even though I would've used her more.
The story of Sherman was the highlight of the movie for me. And Sherman's Candyman was a really cool take on the character.
The surprise at the end delighted the horror geek in me.

The Bad
The movie felt slight. Like it was just a bunch of characters having random moments without much connecting tissue or a smooth flow to the proceedings.
There was some incredibly heavy-handed stuff with the police and about artists and the racial dynamics of the art community that could've been handled with a bit more nuance.
The last part of the movie went completely off the rails with a lot of the mythology that we'd had the entire movie explaining to us being just upended with no real explanation given.
The kills were a disappointment. There were not enough of them for one and way too much of the actual killing was done either off-screen or shot in a way that you really don't see any of it clearly.

I give Candyman (2021) two and half Daniel Robitaille's

13ntkYF.png
13ntkYF.png
OBqUWxE.png

FWIW, da OG movie only had 2 onscreen kills. Anything else was off screen.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
FWIW, da OG movie only had 2 onscreen kills. Anything else was off screen.
If that was the way they wanted to do it as a film I wouldn't have had any complaints but they started off with those first two kills being one way and then moved to an entirely different way of depicting the kills afterwards.

Daps
Review
  • Why homie never get his arm checked out?
  • I immediately knew he was the baby from original Candyman since i watched the 1st one last nite to refresh memory
  • Gay dude was so forced.
  • the invisible kills sucked
  • ending was trash for sure
  • felt like this movie would have hit harder in 2019 with all the protests. COVID being the worst thing of all time kinda made this look small.
  • Didnt like the heel turn of the Laundromat dude at the end. shyt felt out of place.
overall: 4/10

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Review
  • Why homie never get his arm checked out?
  • I immediately knew he was the baby from original Candyman since i watched the 1st one last nite to refresh memory
  • Gay dude was so forced.
  • the invisible kills sucked
  • ending was trash for sure
  • felt like this movie would have hit harder in 2019 with all the protests. COVID being the worst thing of all time kinda made this look small.
  • Didnt like the heel turn of the Laundromat dude at the end. shyt felt out of place.
overall: 4/10

Laundromat dude literally had zero motive to even do this lmfao, he literally watched Candy man kill his fam members. It would be one thing if they had a scene where he was a kid and cops were harassing them and Candyman killed the cops and was like, keep my name alive you are forever in debt to me, if you dont ill come back for you, but nah dude randomly turned psycho.

as I said earlier all style, little substance. We get happy seeing ourselves depicted living fancy bougie lives, in sexy city condos, working careers we are passionate about that some how affords us super expensive lifestyles, we then suspend logic because the packaging looks good. When I think of black filmmakers right now I think Ryan Cooler is the only cat making films grounded in reality of the avg black person. its 2021 and we still using 1998 comic view 'black folks be like.....white folks be like' jokes