Official Candyman Thread

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah this why they didnt stream. Im sure visuals will be on point, but substance black movies have been hit or miss lately (trying to hard to be “woke” rather than just telling a good ass story)

I hate the word "woke", but I do think a lot of Black creatives are obsessed with their work being profound and socially relevant and conscious. It maybe is the Peele/Get Out effect, but I'm more than ready for more Black artists to start creating great genre films that exist to entertain and not necessarily educate. I was hoping Black Panther would set off an Afrofuturism or Black sci-fi movement, but nah that didn't happen.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
it works both ways unfounrately

when you consider we live in a society where people a) don't like history across the spectrum b) don't read

something in this case, entertainment or cinema has to take the mantle.

reminds me of a convo I had with a breh of mine who loves that show Shameless

he told me you could easily make a black show in the same tone of that and what not

but you couldn't at the same time. for obvious reasons.

I hate the word "woke", but I do think a lot of Black creatives are obsessed with their work being profound and socially relevant and conscious. It maybe is the Peele/Get Out effect, but I'm more than ready for more Black artists to start creating great genre films that exist to entertain and not necessarily educate. I was hoping Black Panther would set off an Afrofuturism or Black sci-fi movement, but nah that didn't happen.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps

when you consider we live in a society where people a) don't like history across the spectrum b) don't read

he told me you could easily make a black show in the same tone of that and what not

People dont want to learn. Cinema isnt and will not change that.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
Candyman is the original woke film, so we have to give this one a pass. I know a few people are willing to go back to theater to see this as well. We all know this will not be a perfect film and it will have many flaws. But I hope it is an enjoyable one watch type of film at least.

I lowkey wanna see it again.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I went in knowing absolutely nothing about candyman but it was entertaining.
I fell out of love with horror films once everything became PG-13 and we never really saw the killer, the whole implying what happened era was awful. I’m glad we are getting back to the roots. So for what it was trying to do they nailed it. Two thumbs up for me

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I went in knowing absolutely nothing about candyman but it was entertaining.
I fell out of love with horror films once everything became PG-13 and we never really saw the killer, the whole implying what happened era was awful. I’m glad we are getting back to the roots. So for what it was trying to do they nailed it. Two thumbs up for me

Do you think this is a horror film for people that do not really enjoy the genre? Like there is substance to it and just not a kill count.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I guess balance is key. I don't want to come off as I have an issue with Black films in general being socially conscious, I don't. It just seems like every Black creative out there is aiming for the same thing. After a while, it starts looking like a crutch, like we're unwilling, or scared to do anything else.