Official Blumhouse Halloween Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At some point one would ask how old is Michael Meyers? I mean he has to be in his 50's, is he going to slow down a bit?

He was six when the incident happened when he murdered his sister. Add 15 years later when he 1st escaped, he was 21. So add another 40 years from that, he is 61. Bare in mind how old Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves ages today. Also bare in mind of the implied suspicious that an evil spirit controls him which is why he always had superhuman strength even in the original.

EDIT. Had a brain fart on the numbers. But in this film he's 61 one.

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. Sure it had its flaws but nothing that was so egregious that it took away from the entertainment value of the movie.
But on this point in particular I have some thoughts:
I understood Green and McBride’s desire to retcon the sibling connection between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers and I was all for it but the execution of it created a clunkiness that hurt the film a bit. By making Laurie just the random victim who got away the movie then was faced with not only coming up with ways to bring Michael and Laurie together again but also to sweep up Laurie’s family into the mix as well. This change created a bit of a logistical nightmare for the movie in my eyes and none of the reactions with the police after Michael escaped and started hacking up the good people of Haddonfield made any sense.
If Laurie wasn't a target or Michael's then there was no real reason for the entire police force to go into overdrive protecting her family or even moving her daughter/husband from their home. They could have just put a cop outside their house as a precaution because as far as Michael was concerned they would have just been any other family in that town and none of the other families were being given special attention.
Even the way they eventually got the granddaughter into the mix was a bot of a mess too. I was expecting them to just have all of the teens end up at the one house where the blond girl was babysitting and for that to be how Michael and Laurie's family got re-connected because that house just happened to be on the block (the kid's parents were the black couple in the doctor and sexy nurse outfits if I am remembering correctly that Michael watched as they got into their car) that Michael was making his way through by happenstance. That would have been a much more organic way to do things than what they ended up with.
But the way the movie presented everything they might have well have kept the sibling connection since the end result was basically the same as it would have been if they had.

I didn't take that at all... I actually appreciate it more that they didn't make Laurie Strode as Michael Myer's younger sister. For a few story plot reasons why was largely why the original canon couldn't ever stick. The biggest being about the parents and how it would of been a major plot hole of why Laurie have no knowledge or her older sister that was killed by Michael or the story of Mike Myers or her connection. Or none of that, even if she was living with step parents. In fact, I love how in the film they brushed that reasoning off. Also, it make's Michael Myers be limited and more human rather than an enigma without any rationality to the motives to why he is killing random people. The OG sequels did too much trying to explain everything and humanizing Myers which made him not scary, and McBride is correct in that assessment whereas in Carpenter's ORIGINAL film, he was ambiguous, there wasn't any legit reason why Laurie was targeted or her friends getting killed or how some were spared while others weren't. And that's what made him terrifying, the fact you cannot predict his moves or his intentions. You only have suspicion and nothing more aside you know he will kill again and again.

Now as a story aspect...

I think in this telling, it is heavily implied that it is an evil demon or spirit that controls Michael Myers. That's why he was original called "The Shape" or "The Boogieman". How we know this began in the very first scene with the journalist holding up the mask and the rest of the ward started freaking out. Then with the doctor's reveal that he's just as mentally sick as Michael once Michael was briefly knocked out and the evil spirit plausibly went into him. Then at the very end of the movie where ol' girl was gripping the knife firmly to suggest the spirit transferred over to her. I think, and this is only my interpretation, is that with this film, THE EVIL affects anyone who gets involved with Michael. And Laurie have a lasting connection with it because of her experience which was similar to Dr. Loomis obsession. And it is that spirit that was dormant that returned and it is that that is connected with Laurie. As for the police protection and so forth. When that incident happened 40 years ago, Laurie was closely connected to that. The sheriff who was responsible of capturing Myers knows this and both assumed that Michael had unfinished business being that Laurie was that one that survived. With Laurie, she admitted that she want to lure Michael to her so she already made provisions to have her family head to her home as top priority as well as informed the sheriff about Michael coming for her specifically. So that's why there was police at the place.

You have to remember and understand that the ORIGINAL FILM was nothing but ambiguity. There wasn't any motive to or reason behind much of the original film. Just suspicions and assumptions. And in this film it stayed true to the idea of Michael Myers in regards to him being an enigma and why he randomly murders and what's the REAL connection between him and Laurie. Having it be reveal that they're siblings would ruin the unpredictability of who he would or would not kill, because it's suppose to be random. Even in this film, Michael wasn't there with a primary objective to go after Laurie at all. Had it was, then it would be specific to who's he's after and that wasn't it.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I didn't take that at all... I actually appreciate it more that they didn't make Laurie Strode as Michael Myer's younger sister. For a few story plot reasons why was largely why the original canon couldn't ever stick. The biggest being about the parents and how it would of been a major plot hole of why Laurie have no knowledge or her older sister that was killed by Michael or the story of Mike Myers or her connection. Or none of that, even if she was living with step parents. In fact, I love how in the film they brushed that reasoning off. Also, it make's Michael Myers be limited and more human rather than an enigma without any rationality to the motives to why he is killing random people. The OG sequels did too much trying to explain everything and humanizing Myers which made him not scary, and McBride is correct in that assessment whereas in Carpenter's ORIGINAL film, he was ambiguous, there wasn't any legit reason why Laurie was targeted or her friends getting killed or how some were spared while others weren't. And that's what made him terrifying, the fact you cannot predict his moves or his intentions. You only have suspicion and nothing more aside you know he will kill again and again.

Now as a story aspect...

I think in this telling, it is heavily implied that it is an evil demon or spirit that controls Michael Myers. That's why he was original called "The Shape" or "The Boogieman". How we know this began in the very first scene with the journalist holding up the mask and the rest of the ward started freaking out. Then with the doctor's reveal that he's just as mentally sick as Michael once Michael was briefly knocked out and the evil spirit plausibly went into him. Then at the very end of the movie where ol' girl was gripping the knife firmly to suggest the spirit transferred over to her. I think, and this is only my interpretation, is that with this film, THE EVIL affects anyone who gets involved with Michael. And Laurie have a lasting connection with it because of her experience which was similar to Dr. Loomis obsession. And it is that spirit that was dormant that returned and it is that that is connected with Laurie. As for the police protection and so forth. When that incident happened 40 years ago, Laurie was closely connected to that. The sheriff who was responsible of capturing Myers knows this and both assumed that Michael had unfinished business being that Laurie was that one that survived. With Laurie, she admitted that she want to lure Michael to her so she already made provisions to have her family head to her home as top priority as well as informed the sheriff about Michael coming for her specifically. So that's why there was police at the place.

You have to remember and understand that the ORIGINAL FILM was nothing but ambiguity. There wasn't any motive to or reason behind much of the original film. Just suspicions and assumptions. And in this film it stayed true to the idea of Michael Myers in regards to him being an enigma and why he randomly murders and what's the REAL connection between him and Laurie. Having it be reveal that they're siblings would ruin the unpredictability of who he would or would not kill, because it's suppose to be random. Even in this film, Michael wasn't there with a primary objective to go after Laurie at all. Had it was, then it would be specific to who's he's after and that wasn't it.
I have no issues with them retconning the family connection. My issue was that they had to make several clunky moves in the movie to get 3 generations of Strode women all gathered together to face Michael especially considering they had a perfectly fine way to do it set up earlier in the film that they punted on.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just realized.....

Allyson's annoying bf didn't get the knife. :snoop:

What if the sequel to this gets back to what Carpenter originally wanted: an anthology of a different horror story? You know I'll watch.
I was disappointed that her douchebag boyfriend didn't get killed too.
It brings me back to the missed opportunity of not having all the teens at a Halloween party in the house the one chick was babysitting in. That way Michael could have deaded all of the grand-daughters friends in one fell swoop.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no issues with them retconning the family connection. My issue was that they had to make several clunky moves in the movie to get 3 generations of Strode women all gathered together to face Michael especially considering they had a perfectly fine way to do it set up earlier in the film that they punted on.
Exactly the idea behind it made sense the execution was very awkward . Like why is Michael killing the friend of Laurie Strodes grand daughter and then hanging aroung the house ? It was all handled clumsily

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I was disappointed that her douchebag boyfriend didn't get killed too.
It brings me back to the missed opportunity of not having all the teens at a Halloween party in the house the one chick was babysitting in. That way Michael could have deaded all of the grand-daughters friends in one fell swoop.
The humor between those two cops reminded me of something that would be in a Seth Rogan/Jonah Hill teen flick. Except it wasn't that funny.

And......

"Peanut butter on my penis" ......really?

AlphaOne

OFT XI E Squad
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey / XO
Movie was trash.

Needs someone like me to write these kills and sequences.

Huge disappointment and I was hype as hell to watch it. Corny ass white boys and kills makes me sick

Running around the house with a revolver and long barrel Winchester with all types of shotguns in your armory. :camby:

Last edited:
Daps
Movie was trash.

Needs someone like me to write these kills and sequences.

Huge disappointment and I was hype as hell to watch it. Corny ass white boys and kills makes me sick

Running around the house with a revolver and long barrel Winchester with all types of shotguns in your armory. :camby:
My review
breh, i totally agree, this shyt was ASS!

Pros
  • Loved how Laurie skipped over her daughter and had a good relationship with her granddaughter.
  • Best part of the moment: The mom acting like a Damsel in Distress then saying "Gotcha" :youngsabo: as she began to pump lead into at Michael made my theater go nuts.
  • Loved how they trapped Michael. It was "go big or go home" that trap symbolized that Laurie was willing to trap her and Michael in there to die together if need be and stop haunting her offspring
  • Black jive talking kid was :wow: and he lived :wow: the cacs in my theater didnt get his humor :beli:
Cons
  • That heel turn that fell flat with the "New Dr. Loomis" shyt had me like :martin:
  • Really hated Laurie being 60 years old but a bad ass. I could understand not being scared but her being "Tomb Raider" & fearless was ass. Would've liked it better if they played on how she was hella paranoid more than being a skilled fighter.
  • Disliked them showing Michael Myers's grey hair. Something about him being old yet being unstoppable was :camby:
  • I'd loved Michael had he slammed the knife in the baby's crib to stop it from crying. The audience would have rioted but its pure evil like he should have been known for.
  • All the "american pie" looking handsome cacs all in the movie :camby::mindblown:
Overall: 7/10

probably a nice little sequel for the "Halloween 1" fans but i was expecting fukkery and they showed too much in the trailers.

Last edited:

morris

Superstar
Daps
Nothing will ever top Halloween 1,2 (or 3 which had nothing to do with MM)

But his movie was good for what it was. The whole feminism feel to it was a bit much but bearable.

1. Did the male reporter live? Trailer had me thinking he was the star
2. I really like dhow this movie paid homage to the first just reversing certain scenes, such as MM being gone at the end of the first and the grandma being gone when MM looks away
3. Goofy was the fake ass demented doctor. I am sure it was he who caused the bus accident, though I am unsure why MM didn't kill him then and there
4. Black kid added comedy and I was glad the few black people in the movie ALL lived
5. This was better than the Rob Zombie remake and I can stomach a sequel
6. Anyone think Happy Death Day 2U will be good? Saw it in the trailer