Official Blumhouse Halloween Thread

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Watching the first now

Why does the broad keep saying "Totally"? Even after sex she throws it in there "Totally!"

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Jason Blum did an interview with Polygon about Halloween and his answers to the lack of women making horror films at Blumhouse has gotten him in a bit of deep water:

Blumhouse Productions has been in the scare business since 2006’s Paranormal Activity, and in that time, despite dozens of movies behind it, the company has not produced a theatrically distributed horror film directed by a woman. With more and more female voices emerging through the festival circuit, from which many of Blumhouse’s directors emerge, the omission struck me as odd and compelling. When I ask Blum about hiring a woman to direct one of the company’s horror films, he too seemed jolted by the idea that it hasn’t.

“We’re always trying to that,” he says. “We’re not trying to do it because of recent events. We’ve always been trying.”

Blumhouse has produced films directed by women, though none could be easily classified as horror in the ilk of your Ouijas or Happy Death Days: In 2013, Blumhouse produced and released Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke’s erotic thriller Plush all but went straight to video; Karen Moncrieff’s supernatural drama The Keeping Hours trickled out on to DVD this past August; Blum notes that the company just wrapped production on The Killing creator Veena Sud’s The Lie, though he also admits the film is “squarely in the thriller genre.” On the TV side, Blumhouse produced Marti Noxon’s adaptation of Sharp Objects, directed by Jean-Marc Vallée for HBO. While terrifying in its own right, Blum wouldn’t call the mini-series “horror” either.

“There are not a lot of female directors period, and even less who are inclined to do horror,” Blum says. “I’m a massive admirer of [The Babadook director] Jennifer Kent. I’ve offered her every movie we’ve had available. She’s turned me down every time.” (Kent was not available for comment at the time of publication.)

During our call, there’s another name Blum struggles to recall — a woman to whom he’s thrown projects left and right — but he’s so driven to figure out the name that, in a true Hollywood move, he summons an assistant, then later a Blumhouse exec, onto the phone to help him remember.

“Who was the woman that we met with a bunch of times on the movie that we have at Sony?!” His associates rattle off names: Karyn Kusama? Mimi Leder? Zoe Lister-Jones? Sarah Gertrude Shapiro? Katie Aselton? Lynne Ramsey? (“No, she wouldn’t touch this with a 10-foot pole,” says Blum’s exec colleague.) The Blumhouse Rolodex runs deep.

Eventually Blum and his team land on the name: Leigh Janiak, who directed the SXSW-dominating Honeymoon in 2014. According to Blum, Blumhouse offered her every project under the sun, but nothing panned out. (Janiak, writing in a follow-up, confirms the meetings, and adds that scheduling prevented her from signing on for a Blumhouse movie, but that she’s confident “we’ll work together on something, someday soon.”)

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Just got back from the screening. Blumhouse brought dignity back to The Shape. It’s a helluva ride with some great moments of comedy in between all the death and dismay. Halloween is Halloween again. Not gonna drop any spoilers since it ain’t officially out yet but it definitely delivered