Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scarlett Johansson Exits Trans Film ‘Rub and Tug’ Amid Backlash
By ALEX STEDMAN
scarlett-johansson.jpg

CREDIT: JORDAN STRAUSS/INVISION/AP/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
Scarlett Johansson has exited the drama film “Rub and Tug” a little more than a week after her casting sparked backlash amid trans groups and activists, a source with knowledge of the situation confirms to Variety.

“In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project,” Johansson told Out Magazine, which first reported the news, in a statement. “Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive. I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues. According to GLAAD, LGBTQ+ characters dropped 40% in 2017 from the previous year, with no representation of trans characters in any major studio release.”

“While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante’s story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film,” the statement continues. “I believe that all artists should be considered equally and fairly. My production company, These Pictures, actively pursues projects that both entertain and push boundaries. We look forward to working with every community to bring these most poignant and important stories to audiences worldwide.”

RELATED
Trace Lysette and Jamie Clayton Slam Scarlett Johansson's Trans Role
Czech Producers Urge Politicians to Raise Incentives as Rivalry Heats Up

New Regency won an auction for the movie on July 2, and it was set to be directed by Rupert Sanders, who previously worked with Johansson on “Ghost in the Shell.”

“Rub and Tug” focused on Dante “Tex” Gill, a crime kingpin who used his massage parlor as a front for prostitution in the ’70s and ’80s. Gill was born Lois Jean Gill, but identified as a man.

Johansson and the production were slammed on social media, with many pushing for a trans actor to play Gill instead.

“Oh word?? So you can continue to play us but we can’t play y’all?” Trace Lysette, a transgender actress best known for appearing on Amazon’s “Transparent,” wrote on Twitter after the casting announcement. “Hollywood is so f—ed… I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.”

“Actors who are trans never even get to audition FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ROLES OF TRANS CHARACTERS,” tweeted Jamie Clayton, another transgender actress known for her role on “Sense8.” “THATS THE REAL ISSUE. WE CANT EVEN GET IN THE ROOM. Cast actors WHO ARE TRANS as NON TRANS CHARACTERS. I DARE YOU.”

Johansson’s rep previously sent a statement to several media outlets in response to the backlash, which didn’t help to quell the controversy: “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment.”

It’s currently unclear where production stands on “Rub and Tug” after Johansson’s exit.

in other scarlett news the role she got heat for taking, she's walking away from. I\Honestly thought she would ride out whatever came her way for doing the movie. Can see this movie not getting made because her name and box office potential no doubt got the ball rolling in a major way.

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
yawwwwwn... her fake ass gonna be in shaky cam/stunt double scenes all thru.. aint no body care for this shyt.. SJW and feminists forced the mouse hand to do this, you KNOW they didnt want to do this

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Just make a female James Bond movie. Bam, done. That's what I'd do for black widow.

Exactly!!! :wow:

Scarlett needs to hit the fukking gym tho... All that lazy ass action we've been watching has been corny tired of that shaky cam shyt. you better get in there and put in work!

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't be surprised if they go the Thor route and try to team her up with someone. Maybe a Hulk and Black Widow movie, but titled Black Widow, since from what I understand they aren't allowed to do a stand alone Hulk movie.

But I hope they lean towards recapturing the tone and action of Winter Solider instead.

Edit: Just had a thought. What if they try to get the Black Panther stimulus package and have Okoye and Nakia cameo in her movie:lolbron: