MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Kaluuya :wow:

The fact were getting a black super hero who is a king that can stand toe to toe with any of these nikkas is dope enough in itself but the fact they're going to delve into themes such as colonisation and misrepresentation of black culture is amazing for me. When I see people come in the thread talking about "this is just a movie", "money is going to Disney", etc - fukk that. We didn't have shyt like this we were kids so the fact my younger brother, sister, cousins, etc get to grow up with stories like this, Creed, Get Out even Atlanta and Insecure to a certain extent makes me happy. Yeah the money is going to Marvel, Disney, Warner Bros. etc but the fact we have black film makers that get to tell their stories on the biggest stages with little compromise will inspire the next generation of black kids to tell their stories without compromise. They can then have the confidence to possibly take the next steps to go maybe independent with all the technology available to them today because they know there is an audience out there for them to be successful because our stories are as valid as anyones.

I honestly feel we're in a Golden Age of black cinema right now with black creatives telling a diverse spectrum of stories. We got a classic black sports film in Creed, a classic black Horror movie in Get Out and now we're getting a classic black super hero movie not to mention the piff TV we've been getting. This is the best it's been since the 90s when we were getting a spectrum of stories from Menace to Love Jones and I love it. We NEED to keep supporting this shyt so we don't go back to 2000s where all them wack ass comedies killed black cinema.

Slightly went off topic but I felt it was some shyt that needed to be said.

i wish growing up i had black panther action figures to play with instead of cac gi joe, just imaging young kids seeing this with teh :wow: face seeing someone that looks like a bigger them being a friggin superhero

As a kid growing up in canada I loved hockey but it was always cacs and then once I saw grant fuhr, mike grier etc. I wanted to play I wanted to be like them

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Its about time we have a discussion about Angela Bassett. My word :wow: @stomachlines

DU6EHzJUMAAyx3G.jpg

Last edited:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Goddammit that Laurence fishburne account is fake :snoop:

It's still crazy the way some folks are treating this movie as some extraordinary moment and a sign of wokeness or some shyt by watching it.

But it is a pretty big moment. I do agree that those kind of tweets(and that one in the post seems like a troll) are ridiculous, but I also hate the ones from crabby Black folks who try to police other Black people's excitement for the film. I've seen way more of the latter.