Daps
Reppin
Latveria
There is nothing wrong with deconstruction, as long as there is a payoff at some point. We're talking about 4+ years of deconstruction, not just one story. When was the last time T'Challa got a concrete, unquestionable W (fighting and beating Black Dwarf off panel...maybe)? When was the last time he had a semblance of a payoff? Something to make everything he went through worthwhile?

Secret Wars isn't over yet, but imho, barring Hickman surprising everyone (which I hope), I don't see T'Challa getting a payoff than makes up for everything he went though in this story. Not counting even the previous years.
T'challa got more character moments than anybody else in Hickman's run. There really is no pleasing some fans.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
T'challa got more character moments than anybody else in Hickman's run. There really is no pleasing some fans.

"Character" moments? In character moments? Worthwhile moments? Like what? Exactly what are we talking about?

EDIT: in addition, @Bigbigguy, let me cut right to the chase. All of T'Challa's actions I've have voiced my disapproval against in my recent posts, do you believe they were in character for T'Challa?

And you also haven't answered my previous questions. What clear W has T'Challa gained in recent years? What semblence of a payoff have he received to make this journey worthwhile?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
"Character" moments? In character moments? Worthwhile moments? Like what? Exactly what are you talking about here?

EDIT: matter of fact, @Bigbigguy, let me cut right to the chase. All those actions I've have voiced my disapproval against, do you believe they were in character for T'Challa?
The first issue
Infinity tie in
Him not pressing the button
Avengers 39
Him with the Infinity Gauntlet

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
In a run that had Tony Stark and Namor you honestly can type that with a straight face

Namor DESTROYED Wakanda. fukking DESECRATED it. Are you trolling or kidding me? T'Challa made a solemn vow to his FACE to kill him and ultimately did NOTHING.

Then BRAGGED about it while T'Challa cried like a bytch because he decided at the 11th hour he couldn't follow through on a plan that HE KNEW full well the consequences of. COMPLETELY out of character.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Namor DESTROYED Wakanda. fukking DESECRATED it. Are you trolling or kidding me? T'Challa made a solemn vow to his FACE to kill him and ultimately did NOTHING.

Then BRAGGED about it while T'Challa cried like a bytch because he decided at the 11th hour he couldn't follow through on a plan that HE KNEW full well the consequences of. COMPLETELY out of character.
Non of that is even out of character. If you go back to his second appearance he didn't kill klaw because he didn't want to lose his humanity. That also doesn't change what I said about him not getting anywhere near the most L's in New Avengers.

Him blowing up that planet would be out of character. T'challa blowing up Namor with Black Bolt was more ooc than any of that.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
@Ziggiy @Realdealholy @KravenMorehead™ @Great Scott @Carl Johnson

Whenever it's a black writer (Priest, Hudlin, and now Coates) you can expect T'Challa to be bad ass for the good majority of the run.. whereas when it's one of those cac-tastic types, it's very hit or miss. Liss and Ewing are A1 with it... whereas Mayberry is a fukkyboy and Hickman isn't much better.

With Disney having actively sought out a black writer and black director for the BP comics/movie moving forward, at least they're flat out honest that they can't trust they own white folks to get shyt right, so even if the plot/script and flow garners criticism, least we wouldn't have to worry about the cac-tactics; which is a very under-rated aspect i miss from Hudlin and Priest's run, and that I feel alleviated from when reading Al Ewing's Ultimates and Nick Spenser's Sam Wilson (as opposed to Remender's Sam "Finn" Wilson run).

That said, Coates will get the lowkey Priest hate if he makes BP "too tech savy" (unlike the 'good ol days')... and the lowkey Hudlin hate if his first arc has any bumpy roads to start. But i say lowkey b/c in this era of social media, muthafukkas would clap back quick at the dikk eating haters.

I'm personally done discussing how shytty Doom War was (and it was pretty shytty) and all that other stuff. I'm just glad we're moving on from it and towards a more promising rendition. I also wouldn't take for granted the effort Boseman, Coates and hopefully Coogler will put into black excellence for the next 2-4 years, hit or miss, b/c this is just a rare occasion indeed. Same with Al Ewing's Ultimates, Nick Spenser on Sam Wilson and, of course, Mr. David Walker on the upcoming Nighthawk and Luke Cage/IronFist books.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
As suggested, I'll move on from this topic after this post, as it appears that we are set in our positions. Plus, we thankfully have far better things to talk about. Gotta respond to a few things.

The first issue
Infinity tie in
Him not pressing the button
Avengers 39
Him with the Infinity Gauntlet

None of those thing make up for the negative stuff we got concerning Hickman's T'Challa. Nor do they in totality result in anything resembling a payoff. some of those things (the first issue) emphasize my previously mentioned grievances (not telling Shuri about the situation, even after the Wakandan youth got killed). Others really don't mean much: in Avengers 39, he only has a few lines and fights a few avengers, a fight that was interrupted. The infinity gauntlet is still TBD: we still don't know what it means for T'Challa to wield it, outside of him wielding a (highly) powerful weapon.

Non of that is even out of character. If you go back to his second appearance he didn't kill klaw because he didn't want to lose his humanity. That also doesn't change what I said about him not getting anywhere near the most L's in New Avengers.

Him blowing up that planet would be out of character. T'challa blowing up Namor with Black Bolt was more ooc than any of that.

Then, as I mentioned before, why would a smart foward thinking man who is apparently so concerned about his humanity even go ahead with the idea in the first place, especially knowing what was to come? Why even be in that situation? Answer: Hickman wanted to.

As for the klaw thing: I recall in the priest run that T'Challa damn near beat Klaw to death in public, and would've done so if he wasn't stopped at the last minute by a crowd who didn't understand why he was beating up a guy who was down for the count. It's not as if T'Challa is completely against getting retribution. If him having retribution is considered "ooc" then that's an ooc act that I will gladly take.

Lastly, T'Challa didn't have a morality crisis versus the skrulls and the desturi, two groups he exterminated uncompromisingly.

In any case, it appears you like the Hickman run. I do not. We'll have to move on from there.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

With Disney having actively sought out a black writer and black director for the BP comics/movie moving forward, at least they're flat out honest that they can't trust they own white folks to get shyt right, so even if the plot/script and flow garners criticism, least we wouldn't have to worry about the cac-tactics;

It's actually a smart thing to do from Disney's perspective.

If the movie does well, they can proudly claim to be a company that embraces diversity and all that. Plus, they will probably have that blerd money (and lots of common black folks money) coming in damn near for life.

If it doesn't do well for whatever reason, especially critically, they always have the option to pass the buck on the creatives, rightfully or not.

Daps

Whenever it's a black writer (Priest, Hudlin, and now Coates) you can expect T'Challa to be bad ass for the good majority of the run.. whereas when it's one of those cac-tastic types, it's very hit or miss. Liss and Ewing are A1 with it... whereas Mayberry is a fukkyboy and Hickman isn't much better.

With Disney having actively sought out a black writer and black director for the BP comics/movie moving forward, at least they're flat out honest that they can't trust they own white folks to get shyt right, so even if the plot/script and flow garners criticism, least we wouldn't have to worry about the cac-tactics; which is a very under-rated aspect i miss from Hudlin and Priest's run, and that I feel alleviated from when reading Al Ewing's Ultimates and Nick Spenser's Sam Wilson (as opposed to Remender's Sam "Finn" Wilson run).

That said, Coates will get the lowkey Priest hate if he makes BP "too tech savy" (unlike the 'good ol days')... and the lowkey Hudlin hate if his first arc has any bumpy roads to start. But i say lowkey b/c in this era of social media, muthafukkas would clap back quick at the dikk eating haters.

I'm personally done discussing how shytty Doom War was (and it was pretty shytty) and all that other stuff. I'm just glad we're moving on from it and towards a more promising rendition. I also wouldn't take for granted the effort Boseman, Coates and hopefully Coogler will put into black excellence for the next 2-4 years, hit or miss, b/c this is just a rare occasion indeed. Same with Al Ewing's Ultimates, Nick Spenser on Sam Wilson and, of course, Mr. David Walker on the upcoming Nighthawk and Luke Cage/IronFist books.
yeah i suspected as much....haven't got into the comics(yet) but outside of minor issues(like wanting to see BP engage more in hand to hand combat against super villains and kick ass for instace) i was satisfied with his portrayal by Hudlin's Black Panther animated mini series for the most part.:yeshrug:sounds like the last few cac writers have been trying to neuter BP and make him inferior to his peers:mjpls:i'm hopeful like you with new direction(black writers) of the brand(comics/movie ) that will change and T'Challa live up to the black (excellence we expected and waited for:blessed:

Last edited:

H.S.

All Star
Daps
This thread is hella informative, and has brought me back into comics for the first time since 1994. But reading through it makes me glad that I'm able to revisit all these Black Panther runs without any sort of expectations. I've checked out stuff from Priest, Hudlin and Hickman and have thoroughly enjoyed all of it. :yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
This thread is hella informative, and has brought me back into comics for the first time since 1994. But reading through it makes me glad that I'm able to revisit all these Black Panther runs without any sort of expectations. I've checked out stuff from Priest, Hudlin and Hickman and have thoroughly enjoyed all of it. :yeshrug:

Yea, they all have their pluses and minus, some more than others depending on who you are. I may have major grievences about Hickman's run, but even he did some things very well concerning the BP mythos.