Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
@TheGodling, @Ziggiy, I'm continuing our debate from the Ryan Coogler thread here. Didn't want to derail that thread.

Apparently, Alonso played interference a lot for Hudlin when he was Hudlin's editor during the run. So when Alonso moved up, Hudlin decided it was time to go.

T'Challa and even Wakanda taking an L wasn't my issue. It's the lack of retribution.

After Doom started a coup in Wakanda, murked T'Challa's uncle, threatned his moms, slapped the shyt out of his wife, stole all of Wakanda's vibranium, and had the blood of many Wakandans in his hands, I'm supposed to believe that the best T'Challa and Shuri could do was to give some stupid ass equivalent of "You disrespected us, but we won't stoop to you level" bullshyt black characters tell to non-black characters that disrespect them and their loved ones in various mediums? Then get rid of ALL of the vibranium (which Hickman fixed, props to him for that)? Really??!?!?:usure:

Killing doom in this event wouldn't happen of course. But anything short of T'Challa and Shuri (and especially T'Challa) beating the shyt outta Doom and kicking him to the curb, or something similar, would not be enough retribution for what Doom has done to T'Challa, his fam, and his people. fukk all the "we are civilized" bullshyt. Didn't stop them from murking the desturi. But wouldn't give doom the beats. fukk that.:camby:

Hickman didn't have to make T'Challa look like an idiot, a bytch, and dare I say something vaguely resembling a distant equivalent of a Wakandan c00n / sellout in the process. He basically ignored a lot of T'Challa's previous characterization to make the story happen.

I mean, Shuri held Wakanda down waaaaaaaaayyyy harder than T'Challa ever did in that story. And she did it with out even half the intel because her bytch ass of a brother wouldn't tell her wtf was going on vis-a-vis the incursions. Hickman got me rooting for Shuri over T'Challa:damn:.

Then T'Challa dooms his people and his world because he wouldn't go through with a plan HE cosigned, while crying like a little kid, only to be bailed by a dude who later on basically says (I'm paraphrasing) "i drowned those wakandans before, and I would do it again". Then when it came time to kill Namor, breh started acting like a bond villain all the sudden and fukked it up.

-Don't tell your own people about world-ending events that threaten your own people brehs.

-Rightfully get called a bytch by your own secret police brehs.

-Harbor an enemy of your own country while your own country is fighting his country brehs.

-Rightfully get called a traitor by your own bodyguards who would take a bullet for you brehs.

-Get rightfully banned from your country by your own sister cuz she found out about your traitorous, bytch ass actions brehs.

-Cosign a plan that may involve blowing up habitable planets, when you aren't about that life brehs.

-Doom your own people and world cuz you have a last minute morality crisis brehs (seriously, this dude was a king?!)

-Get disowned by your entire lineage AND your pops cuz you doomed your own people and world brehs.

-Get bailed out by an enemy of your country brehs.

-fukk up a plan to kill said enemy of your country and get retribution for your people because you felt like flexing like a bond villain brehs.

Hickman's a good writer, and New Avengers / Time Runs Out / Secret Wars as a story is not bad all, if not good. but his portrayal of T'Challa can get all the way the foh:camby:

They basically made T'Challa Finn from The Force Awakens. fukking T'CHALLA! One of the TEN SMARTEST CHARACTERS IN MARVEL CONTINUITY!!! They went so far as to write him COMPLETELY out of character JUST so he could hold an L's. If I ever met Mayberry, Hickman, or Aaron in real life I'd spit in their faces.

The moment they wrote T'Challa SINKING TO HIS KNEES IN TEARS after his father scolded him for failing to FOLLOW THROUGH ON HIS PLAN I knew that this was just an agenda to completely deconstruct every thing Hudlin had worked to build the character to within the mainstream continuity.

F-U-C-K that.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
They basically made T'Challa Finn from The Force Awakens. fukking T'CHALLA! One of the TEN SMARTEST CHARACTERS IN MARVEL CONTINUITY!!! They went so far as to write him COMPLETELY out of character JUST so he could hold an L's. If I ever met Mayberry, Hickman, or Aaron in real life I'd spit in their faces.

:dead:

The moment they wrote T'Challa SINKING TO HIS KNEES IN TEARS after his father scolded him for failing to FOLLOW THROUGH ON HIS PLAN I knew that this was just an agenda to completely deconstruct every thing Hudlin had worked to build the character to within the mainstream continuity.

F-U-C-K that.

Breh, when THAT moment happenned, I literally was like, "is this motherfukker.....crying?!:wtf:"

Like, not only did he, at the LAST DAMN MINUTE, pull a sudden about face, but then cries about it to his dad?:scust:

A head of state, top 10 smartest dude, who had to make major decisions many times before, not only decides to go ahead with the crazy ass "build a bomb" idea, but then pulled some bytch ass last minute shyt like that, dooming his people and his world?

When i read that panel, i straight up was like....

41ae43cf7d59a84641ee8da3366d9e30.gif

If that is salvaging T'Challa, then count me out. And I really hope we don't see this T'Challa again.

If that hoe ass version of T'Challa is the T'Challa we are getting in the future, then fukk it, give me Shuri in a major role to counterbalance the bytch assness or I'm out. At least she stood and fought with her people to the end.:mjcry:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:dead:

Breh, when THAT moment happenned, I literally was like, "is this motherfukker.....crying?!:wtf:"

Like, not only did he, at the LAST DAMN MINUTE, pull a sudden about face, but then cries about it to his dad?:scust:

A head of state, top 10 smartest dude, who had to make major decisions many times before, not only decides to go ahead with the crazy ass "build a bomb" idea, but then pulled some bytch ass last minute shyt like that, dooming his people and his world?

When i read that panel, i straight up was like....

41ae43cf7d59a84641ee8da3366d9e30.gif

If that is salvaging T'Challa, then count me out. And I really hope we don't see this T'Challa again.

If that hoe ass version of T'Challa is the T'Challa we are getting in the future, then fukk it, give me Shuri in a major role to counterbalance the bytch assness or I'm out. At least she stood and fought with her people to the end.:mjcry:

They had this man BEGGING Ororoe not to bed-wench with Wolverine.

The muthafukking BLACK PANTHER, Who was the one who ANNULED the Union in the first place (had problems with that too) begging his ex on some Coli The Locker Room shyt. "Please Not Him". WTF!?!!?!?

It's too early for this.... It's just too early to be getting murderously upset over comic books....

But seriously

We went from this

To THIS

To THIS

To one of the single most despicable panels Marvel comic history

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
They had this man BEGGING Ororoe not to bed-wench with Wolverine.

The muthafukking BLACK PANTHER, Who was the one who ANNULED the Union in the first place (had problems with that too) begging his ex on some Coli The Locker Room shyt. "Please Not Him". WTF!?!!?!?

It's too early for this.... It's just too early to be getting murderously upset over comic books....

But seriously

We went from this

To THIS

To THIS

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
at ALL those panels. Wooow...:scust:

Looking again at those panels, if I had to guess, there probably were no black person in the editorial process to hit up Aaron and hickman and re-write that shyt. It shows.....boy does it show.

shyt like this is exactly why I want someone like Coogler to get the directing gig.

Coogler may end up not doing an oscar worthy job, or may not get the characters 100%, 100% of the time. But, based on his work and the interviews of him I've heard, I just don't see him coming close to cosigning anything close to having something similar to these panels on the big screen. No way.

He knew the importance of movies like Fruitvale station and Creed, and how important they are in terms of representation for black people in general, and black men specifically. I'm confident he knows the importance representation wise of the black panther movie, and how having something like those panels you posted be perceived by the millions of viewers across the US and the world.

This is especially important for the BP franchise and T'Challa especially, as it appears a lot of people actually LIKE T'Challa's portrayal in New Avengers / Secret Wars. Which scares the hell outta me.

Really hoping Coogler gets the gig.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
"White Panther" is Captain America

He is the symbol of every white man's hopes and dreams, the living embodiment of what White America romances themselves to be.

Physically perfect
Strong
Incorruptible
Patriotic
Noble
White

Also in vein of hitler's perfect aryan race of blond hair, blue eyes, lol.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

He didn't cry because he was scolded by his father, breh. He stood at the precipice of destroying entire populated worlds and unlike his father (or Namor for that matter) didn't believe he had the right to judge over life in such a way. And there was also a deliberate irony to that, seeing that T'Challa was literally the king of the dead. Now the crying might've been a bit too much (I didn't feel that way) but this moment is the moment where T'Challa, facing unconquerable odds, chose to retain his humanity.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Hickman did a great job with Black Panther, he was WAYYYYY better than Hudlin. Not sure if you guys read that run or not (its currently still ongoing) but he treated the character with respect. It all made sense in the story and had been building towards that

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

F-U-C-K that.
The word/name "Finn" is going to have a negative connotation to a lot of people. It'll be for a long time unless the next movies improve his character. :heh:

Just saying T'Challa got Finn'd made me wince and I never read the shyt. :scusthov:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I'm reading some of these posts and its like you guys never read Priest's run on Black Panther, only some of Hudlin's, like ZERO X-men books and none of Hickman's run. Like seriously, out of everything that happened to T'Challa, the Storm immediately acting as a woman scorned as soon as he mentioned something is like 100% accurate to what would happen in a relationship like that. And Wolverine made the most sense as he was actually with Storm before BP came in and stole her from him.