Reppin
Bronx NY
tumblr_nzkaxlMZqE1qfzpj2o1_540.jpg
Big mondo dome Cap holding that tiny ass helmet :russ:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The way Marvel are handling this is a big cause for concern. Being driven way too much by current flavourrrrrrrrr. From the lead casting to the director choices in the hat. That is not how the other characters were handled in both casting and director choice. Where they went out, looked hard, did extensive searches and got the correct people who were enthusiastic and came to them with ideas and already had an understanding of the characters, not people who didn't. This even extends to the TV shows.

What's happening here is the type of shyt that killed the second Thor movie, where instead of retaining the correct person for the job they decided to appease a feminist Natalie Portman via Patty Jenkins and then later tried segue into The Game of Thrones market audience/buzz with the hiring of Alan Taylor. They got cold feet on both and got a bunch of nothing instead. All that when Branagh should have been retained to make a better sequel with better production levels than the first.

Hudlin has to absolutely direct :manny:

Dope clip. I liked Priests work a lot more than Hudlins, but that clips got me looking at Hudlin in a whole new light. :obama:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Dope clip. I liked Priests work a lot more than Hudlins, but that clips got me looking at Hudlin in a whole new light. :obama:

Hudlin's heart was in the right place. What did him in with a bunch of fans was the early beginnings of his run. He did a lot of things he didn't need to do, some of them flat out mistakes.

His run ended in a high note, imho.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Hudlin's heart was in the right place. What did him in with a bunch of fans was the early beginnings of his run. He did a lot of things he didn't need to do, some of them flat out mistakes.

His run ended in a high note, imho.

Honestly had no problems with his run at all. Only a slight issue with T'Challa and Storm arguing over that Doom fight bu that was a minor quibble

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So for sombody trying to get familiar with this character where would one start? Whats quintessential reading brehs?

Start with the priest run, you will get the overall gist of the character. From there you can go to the mcgregor run (older) or Hudlin run (newer).

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@TheGodling, @Ziggiy, I'm continuing our debate from the Ryan Coogler thread here. Didn't want to derail that thread.

Yeah, I meant Shuri becoming Black Panther. Seeing as he pretty much stepped away from the book after that arc, it seemed he just had no follow-up idea for that change.

Apparently, Alonso played interference a lot for Hudlin when he was Hudlin's editor during the run. So when Alonso moved up, Hudlin decided it was time to go.

I'll stand by that Doomwar was pretty good. It might've been more of a Doom story than a Black Panther story but frankly, no empire lasts forever and T'Challa took the inevitable "L" on his own terms.

T'Challa and even Wakanda taking an L wasn't my issue. It's the lack of retribution.

After Doom started a coup in Wakanda, murked T'Challa's uncle, threatned T'Challa's moms, slapped the shyt out of T'Challa's wife, stole all of Wakanda's vibranium, and had the blood of many Wakandans in his hands, I'm supposed to believe that the best T'Challa and Shuri could do was to give some stupid ass equivalent of "You disrespected us, but we won't stoop to you level" bullshyt black characters tell to non-black characters that disrespect them and their loved ones in various mediums? Then get rid of ALL of the vibranium (which Hickman fixed, props to him for that)? Really??!?!?:usure:

Killing doom in this event wouldn't happen of course. But anything short of T'Challa and Shuri (and especially T'Challa) beating the shyt outta Doom and kicking him to the curb, or something similar, would not be enough retribution for what Doom has done to T'Challa, his fam, and his people. fukk all the "we are civilized" bullshyt. Didn't stop them from murking the desturi. But wouldn't give doom the beats. fukk that.:camby:

And Hickman did everything he could to salvage T'Challa after the events AvX completely ruined him and Wakanda without flat-out ignoring continuity or simply retconning the whole shyt.

Hickman didn't have to make T'Challa look like an idiot, a bytch, and dare I say something vaguely resembling a distant equivalent of a Wakandan c00n / sellout in the process. He basically ignored a lot of T'Challa's previous characterization to make the story happen.

I mean, Shuri held Wakanda down waaaaaaaaayyyy harder than T'Challa ever did in that story. And she did it with out even half the intel because her bytch ass of a brother wouldn't tell her wtf was going on vis-a-vis the incursions. Hickman got me rooting for Shuri over T'Challa:damn:.

Then T'Challa dooms his people and his world because he wouldn't go through with a plan HE cosigned, while crying like a little kid, only to be bailed by a dude who later on basically says (I'm paraphrasing) "i drowned those wakandans before, and I would do it again". Then when it came time to kill Namor, breh started acting like a bond villain all the sudden and fukked it up.

-Don't tell your own people about world-ending events that threaten your own people brehs.

-Rightfully get called a bytch by your own secret police brehs.

-Harbor an enemy of your own country while your own country is fighting his country brehs.

-Rightfully get called a traitor by your own bodyguards who would take a bullet for you brehs.

-Get rightfully banned from your country by your own sister cuz she found out about your traitorous, bytch ass actions brehs.

-Cosign a plan that may involve blowing up habitable planets, when you aren't about that life brehs.

-Doom your own people and world cuz you have a last minute morality crisis brehs (seriously, this dude was a king?!)

-Get disowned by your entire lineage AND your pops cuz you doomed your own people and world brehs.

-Get bailed out by an enemy of your country brehs.

-fukk up a plan to kill said enemy of your country and get retribution for your people because you felt like flexing like a bond villain brehs.

Hickman's a good writer, and New Avengers / Time Runs Out / Secret Wars as a story is not bad all, if not good. but his portrayal of T'Challa can get all the way the foh:camby:

Last edited:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
@TheGodling, @Ziggiy, I'm continuing our debate from the Ryan Coogler thread here. Didn't want to derail that thread.

Apparently, Alonso played interference a lot for Hudlin when he was Hudlin's editor during the run. So when Alonso moved up, Hudlin decided it was time to go.

T'Challa and even Wakanda taking an L wasn't my issue. It's the lack of retribution.

After Doom started a coup in Wakanda, murked T'Challa's uncle, threatned his moms, slapped the shyt out of his wife, stole all of Wakanda's vibranium, and had the blood of many Wakandans in his hands, I'm supposed to believe that the best T'Challa and Shuri could do was to give some stupid ass equivalent of "You disrespected us, but we won't stoop to you level" bullshyt black characters tell to non-black characters that disrespect them and their loved ones in various mediums? Then get rid of ALL of the vibranium (which Hickman fixed, props to him for that)? Really??!?!?:usure:

Killing doom in this event wouldn't happen of course. But anything short of T'Challa and Shuri (and especially T'Challa) beating the shyt outta Doom and kicking him to the curb, or something similar, would not be enough retribution for what Doom has done to T'Challa, his fam, and his people. fukk all the "we are civilized" bullshyt. Didn't stop them from murking the desturi. But wouldn't give doom the beats. fukk that.:camby:

Hickman didn't have to make T'Challa look like an idiot, a bytch, and dare I say a something vaguely resembling a distant equivalent of a Wakandan c00n / sellout in the process. He basically ignored a lot of T'Challa's previous characterization to make the story happen.

I mean, Shuri held Wakanda down waaaaaaaaayyyy harder than T'Challa ever did in that story. And she did it with out even half the intel because her bytch ass of a brother wouldn't tell her wtf was going on vis-a-vis the incursions. Hickman got me rooting for Shuri over T'Challa:damn:. Then T'Challa dooms his people and his world because he wouldn't go through with a plan HE cosigned, while crying like a little kid. Then when it came time to kill Namor, breh started acting like a bond villain all the sudden and fukked it up.

-Don't tell your own people about world-ending events that threaten your own people brehs.

-Rightfully get called a bytch by your own secret police brehs.

-Harbor an enemy of your own country while your own country is fighting his country brehs.

-Rightfully get called a traitor by your own bodyguards who would take a bullet for you brehs.

-Get rightfully banned from your country by your own sister cuz she found out about your traitorous, bytch ass actions brehs.

-Cosign a plan that may involve blowing up habitable planets, when you aren't about that life brehs.

-Doom your own people and world cuz you have a last minute morality crisis brehs (seriously, this dude was a king?!)

-Get disowned by your entire lineage AND your pops cuz you doomed your own people and world brehs.

-Get bailed out by an enemy of your country brehs.

-fukk up a plan to kill said enemy of your country and get retribution for your people because you felt like flexing like a bond villain brehs.

Hickman's a good writer, but his portrayal of T'Challa can get all the way the foh:camby:
you're right :wtf: And esp for him jumping the whole New avengers narrative off, he was almost 3rd tier for most of it. I don't see that being made up for in the last, what, 1 issue? of secret wars...

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
you're right :wtf: And esp for him jumping the whole New avengers narrative off, he was almost 3rd tier for most of it. I don't see that being made up for in the last, what, 1 issue? of secret wars...

The leads of New Avengers and Secret Wars have basically been Reed and Doom. T'Challa (and quite frankly, everyone else) has been a passenger in this shyt.

I'm calling it right now: the next (and last) issue, T'Challa will flex with the gauntlet, talk a lot of shyt, and may get a few licks in, but is gonna get murked hard by doom. My expectations are THAT low.

If I am wrong and T'Challa gets a major payoff, I'll eat all the crow in the world.

Last edited: