Anhur

All Star
Daps
I see what you guys are saying about Doom War and Coates. I feel like they are doing the same thing to Cyborg and Mr. Terrific in the comics. Cyborg should be one of the most powerful D.C heroes.
Just like how T'Challa is a genius inventor, Cyborg should be one because he is one with technology. He should be able to make the strongest weapons in the D.C universe but he is useless.
What do you guys think about that?

Hejdå

Inactive
Daps

f2235469ff09d4d75427d9643c1149788dffbc8a_hq.gif

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:whoa: how is he dumping on T'challa?

Like breh, the political views of wakanda are amazing and understandable, The spirituality of African religions and folklore and how it ties to the nation is dope. Coates giving T'challa much character developments in efforts to make he him some what relate-able. Example, when tchalla said he didn't want to be king, how being a scientist and a super hero meant more to him. Or how he was trying to deal with tons of shyt without bring a tyrant. Questioning, who he truly was, dealing with being disowned by previous black panthers.

Like Coates shuck shyt all the way up but T'challa is still standing, he got shuri back. The kingdom is chilling now while he's wrapping up loose ends. Claw and the slow pace is the only down side to this.

Other wise then that Coates is doing a decent job.

He hasn't really developed T'Challa as a character though. He's basically the same as he was at the beginning of the series. The biggest flaw of Coates first season is that T'Challa really doesn't have a character arc.

The shyt about T'Challa not wanting to be king is a straight up retcon. People have posted images in this thread multiple times of T'Challa outright saying he wanted to be King.

The idea that T'Challa was previously some perfect character that wasn't relatable and showed no flaws is bullshyt. From Priest all the way up to Hickman we've seen T'Challa's flaws and certain insecurities that he had. The Story of T'Challa has always been the story of a man who wants to live up to the legend of his father, do what's best for his homeland, but also be a good man. T'Challa has always struggled with modernizing Wakanda but also respecting older traditions. The only thing Coates did was make it seem as if T'Challa viewed his people as a burden and show T'Challa to be an incompetent leader that can't do anything without someones help.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see what you guys are saying about Doom War and Coates. I feel like they are doing the same thing to Cyborg and Mr. Terrific in the comics. Cyborg should be one of the most powerful D.C heroes.
Just like how T'Challa is a genius inventor, Cyborg should be one because he is one with technology. He should be able to make the strongest weapons in the D.C universe but he is useless.
What do you guys think about that?
I was never a fan of cyborg.

Anhur

All Star
Daps
I was never a fan of cyborg.
Teen Titans was my childhood. I didn't want Cyborg to be part of the JL, but now since he's there, I want them to make him more useful. I'm a D.C stan btw.
full

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Off Topic. Apologies in advance @wire28

Black Panther: Return of the Macks
12/6/17
Marvel.com: What excited you most about returning to Black Panther?

Reginald Hudlin:
When I was told that the book would feature me, Christopher Priest, and Don McGregor each doing Black Panther stories, it just felt historic. I knew I had to be a part of it.

Christopher Priest:
Nothing. Seriously, nothing at all. It was terrifying.

My original run, especially the Marvel Knights installments, have finally found an audience. When we were actually doing the book, we literally couldn’t give copies away. There was enormous sales resistance and a lot of literal hate—and threats—from fans outraged that we gave Panther an iPhone. Seriously; there was this anti-tech backlash, “purists” who, from what I could tell, were confusing Black Panther with Tarzan. Panther is not Tarzan.

@Mic-Nificent @Achille @The Black Panther

Christopher Priest:
So in those days, I’d spend a lot of energy engaging these fans and trying to please, please, sir, get them to go read FANTASTIC FOUR #52 and learn who Panther really is rather than who so many fans apparently believed he was—some kind of caveman or maybe Ka-Zar. He’s not Ka-Zar. He is ruler of one of the most technologically advanced societies in the world. Yes, dude, he can use an iPhone.

@Bigbigguy @Diasporan Royalty

Marvel.com: How do you feel about the character’s growing pop cultural profile, with his appearance in “Captain America: Civil War” and now his own upcoming film?

Reginald Hudlin:
I remember all the Black Panther scripts that had been developed over the years. Almost all of them horrible. There were drafts where he grew up in housing projects in America with no idea of his royal heritage. Just ghastly perversions of the original concept.

So, when then-Executive Editor Axel Alonso and I sat down to talk about what was originally conceived to be a [limited series], I wanted to tell the story right. I didn’t know if there would ever be a movie, but I wanted to create a document that would tell fans who he was and be a blueprint for what a movie should be. I haven’t seen the film, but looking at how Klaw is portrayed and the inclusion of characters I created like Shuri, it looks like that is the case.

@Ziggiy @Ironman @flo

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Marvel.com: What do you think makes Black Panther such an iconic figure?

Reginald Hudlin:
He’s the African equivalent of Captain America. In the same way Cap embodies all that is good about America, The Panther symbolizes all that is great about Africa.

Christopher Priest: He’s the black guy. C’mon, let’s be honest. He’s the black guy. And he’s not angry, he doesn’t use slang or “Ebonics,” he pulls his pants up, he keeps his word. Black Panther shames us—all of us—by his nobility. He may well be the single most noble guy on Earth. Do your best. Keep your word. It’s all anyone can ask of you.

T’Challa’s, like, the last noble man on earth. I am by no means anywhere near that noble, but I aspire to be well, if not good, at least as good as I personally can manage. That’s the best any of us can do. Dude: be as good as you personally can manage. Eat your vegetables. Do your best. Keep your word.

:to:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Christopher Priest:
Nothing. Seriously, nothing at all. It was terrifying.

My original run, especially the Marvel Knights installments, have finally found an audience. When we were actually doing the book, we literally couldn’t give copies away. There was enormous sales resistance and a lot of literal hate—and threats—from fans outraged that we gave Panther an iPhone. Seriously; there was this anti-tech backlash, “purists” who, from what I could tell, were confusing Black Panther with Tarzan. Panther is not Tarzan.

^^If it were not for Priest we would NOT have the Panther we have today. Shows us how important he is to BP mythos.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Christopher Priest: He’s the black guy. C’mon, let’s be honest. He’s the black guy. And he’s not angry, he doesn’t use slang or “Ebonics,” he pulls his pants up, he keeps his word. Black Panther shames us—all of us—by his nobility. He may well be the single most noble guy on Earth. Do your best. Keep your word. It’s all anyone can ask of you.

T’Challa’s, like, the last noble man on earth. I am by no means anywhere near that noble, but I aspire to be well, if not good, at least as good as I personally can manage. That’s the best any of us can do. Dude: be as good as you personally can manage. Eat your vegetables. Do your best. Keep your word.

Unfortunately the new T'Challa isn't as noble as he once was.....

Priest's T'Challa flew across the globe to avenge the death of a young girl he met for a day. He found the girls killer, set him on fire, threw him out of a window and dragged him to the girls grandmother to be judged accordingly.

The T'Challa we get now is like "bytches get raped every day B" :yeshrug:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
^^If it were not for Priest we would NOT have the Panther we have today. Shows us how important he is to BP mythos.

Priest is to Black Panther what Frank Miller was to Daredevil.

Lots of previous and later writers made great contributions, but Priest created the definitive version of T'Challa.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all know the detractors Hudlin and Priest were referring too :mjpls:

Oh why T'Challa gotta have an iphone? :mjpls:

Wouldn't it be cool if T'Challa grew up in the projects? :mjpls:

:mjpls:

I'll never forget that Hudlin did an interview once some years back where he talked about a Black Panther movie script he read, and he said it was so bad that he went back to the producers and told them they couldn't make the film because their take was evil.