nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Funny thing is Shuri doesn't even need to be a BP anymore.

On top her getting a tech/science skills boost, she can rock her vibranium armor from Doomwar and/or go through an MCU-appropriate version of the Griot path for the BP sequels.

T'Challa remains the lead, king, and BP while whooping ass across the MCU in the big screen. Shuri gets a canonical power boost, gets the ability to interact and stand toe-to-toe with almost anyone in the MCU, and gets to whoop ass on the big screen as well.

Win/win, everybody eats :blessed:

This would be good. My only reason for initially wanting Shuri to assume the BP role in the MCU after T'Challa was because I wanted her to not be reduced to some cameo role. I wanted another character they could push, and one the newbies could also follow. With the path they're taking her, that is no longer a concern. She'll have her prominent role without bcoming BP and still allow T'Challa to wreck ish with his fighting skills and brain.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Lots of debate
No way are wypipo going to get the allegory here. They are going to interpret this as “See? Only black people are pathological.” Ta-Nehisi Coates misses an opportunity for a Utopian model by insisting on political realism. Shame.

Phil Jimenez was the first person to hip me to the idea that human beings almost instinctively reject the idea of utopia, require flaws and conflict, even in fiction; that they find perfect societies boring and unrealistic, even though fiction is the playground of the unreal, and will actively seek to debunk, disparage, and condemn Utopian depictions.

In the case of what Coates is doing in the Black Panther comic book: How dangerously close this is to a dangerous idea—and one that white supremacy has put forth prior: That black people are not the true indigenous people of Africa and any African advances are the result of “extraterrestrial intervention” because we’re “too inferior to have done it alone.”
I understand the message Coates is trying to convey here, but I think it’s a terrible mistake, in an Anti-Black world, to use black people as the example.

Let's hope the movie ignores this notion and lets mythology remain fanciful.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
is dude using secret empire as example of letting something play out? i gave that a chance and was interested in where it would go only to end up with a hot mess in my hands.

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
19260287_10155991061270452_56875270377206127_n.jpg
23795489_10155978465635452_7432541499637190031_n.jpg
23621399_10155962338130452_7483762796451733444_n.jpg

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That "You gotta wait to see how it plays out" stuff is fukking stupid.

I can understand saying that after the first couple of issues, but Coates has been on Black Panther for well over a year now. Sticking with a story for LONG periods of time and investing time and money into something in the hopes that it'll get better is fukking stupid.

Imagine someone saying that bullshyt about the last Mummy Movie and the whole Dark Universe shyt. "Yeah the first movie was wack, but you gotta stick with it and see the others find out what they're really doing" :childplease:

You're not obligated to stick with any book as a comic book reader. It's up to the creative team to keep you interested in the series enough to keep buying it.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
That "You gotta wait to see how it plays out" stuff is fukking stupid.

I can understand saying that after the first couple of issues, but Coates has been on Black Panther for well over a year now. Sticking with a story for LONG periods of time and investing time and money into something in the hopes that it'll get better is fukking stupid.

Imagine someone saying that bullshyt about the last Mummy Movie and the whole Dark Universe shyt. "Yeah the first movie was wack, but you gotta stick with it and see the others find out what they're really doing" :childplease:

You're not obligated to stick with any book as a comic book reader. It's up to the creative team to keep you interested in the series enough to keep buying it.

So you stopped reading it or nah?