1508301748666.png

Last edited:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
For some reason youtube didn't put the trailer on the trending page :mjpls:
I noticed that too. I was showing a co-worker the trailer at work today and thought that I could find it more quickly by going to the trending than typing it, but it was nowhere on the trending page.

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the comic heads in here, care to help a non-comic book head out and do a little leg work for me?:ld:

I keep hearing that people don't like the Coates run of Black Panther. Could anyone provide a plot summary or explain what has been :trash: about it? It would help if it was contrasted to a good version of Black Panther, so I can more clearly see the difference.

I just read a piece by ew that summarized issue 1 Five major takeaways from 'Black Panther' #1

And it didn't seem bad to me, but obviously it wasn't exhaustive so I'm probably just missing what the problems are.

Also, are there any elements from Coates run that looks like it will make it's way into the film?

I know someone is just gonna point me to the comics but I'm lazy and don't wanna read the comics:mjcry:

People aren't happy with how the character has been represented as almost weak as compared to the other runs. Also some feel that there are some agendas on Coates behalf with his writing.

Preist's Run - A King always steps ahead of all his enemies. A little bit Batman-esqe at times.

Hudlin - A :birdman:King. Along with more humor and the fukkery of talking monkeys:myman:

Coates - A King questioning himself, looking for answers if not from himself but others and also having to deal with rebellion from his Nation and the Dora Milaje. Personally I have no problem with it as it is a different element but i'm not everybody. Also I think with Coates run that I have issues with it is as compared to the others, it is very slow paced and you just want more:birdman:moments.

The Afro futuristic look of Wakanda in the movie is based off of Coates run.

I'm going to also say that what many seem to hate about T'Challa is juggling if he really wants to be King along with the responsibility is going to play a part in the movie as it look like it will based off of a few snippets in the trailer.

But that's just my opinion.....I'm not hear to catch any strays:hubie::whoa: I know how passionate it can get round here.

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the comic heads in here, care to help a non-comic book head out and do a little leg work for me?:ld:

I keep hearing that people don't like the Coates run of Black Panther. Could anyone provide a plot summary or explain what has been :trash: about it? It would help if it was contrasted to a good version of Black Panther, so I can more clearly see the difference.

I just read a piece by ew that summarized issue 1 Five major takeaways from 'Black Panther' #1

And it didn't seem bad to me, but obviously it wasn't exhaustive so I'm probably just missing what the problems are.

Also, are there any elements from Coates run that looks like it will make it's way into the film?

I know someone is just gonna point me to the comics but I'm lazy and don't wanna read the comics:mjcry:

Ok, so it's sort of complicated for long time readers as to why we dislike Coates so much, but basically people have a huge problem with his portrayal of T'Challa.

Coates wasn't a fan of the character before getting the job of writing Black Panther. He did research found a few things he liked an a lot of stuff he didn't like, then took it upon himself to "Fix" the character. This resulted in a version of T'Challa that was less capable, less effective, seemingly less caring about his people, and continually unsure of himself.

The vast majority of the character development in the first season of his series is dedicated the Dora Milaje, a bunch of supporting characters he created, and he spends nearly 10 issues rewriting Shuri's personality.

All those cool action scenes you see in the trailers? There's nothing like that in the first season of Coates run. Coates gave T'Challa a new power to do a sort of "force push" using the vibranium in his suit, the problem is in order for him to use it he has to let his opponent smack him around first. So there are literally multiple fight scenes where T'Challa is letting opponents (who are weaker than him) punch him in the head just so he can use his new power.

Coates has T'Challa continually talking about how much of a failure he is as a king, and even go as far as to say he NEVER wanted to be king....Except long time readers know T'Challa spoke directly to Bast and said he wanted to be King and that he wanted to rule again.

Coates portrays Wakanda as an absolute dictatorship that looks the other way when it comes to women being sexually abused, and makes it seem as if T'Challa is king by birth....Except for decades it's been made clear that T'Challa had to EARN the right to be King by going through a series a trials, and his rulership could be challenged in multiple ways, either by a council made up of the various tribes Wakanda or any Wakandan citizen could challenge him for the throne via combat.

Coates had a particular story he wanted to tell and he changed Wakandan history and the very characterization of beloved characters in order to do it. T'Challa was portrayed as an unsympathetic character for most of the series, so much so that many new readers were rooting against him and the Dora Milaje were being praised as the best characters in the entire series.

T'Challa is supposed to be one of the greatest tactical minds in all of fiction, but his constantly being outsmarted by enemies whose plans aren't even that clever. There's one moment in particular where anybody that's read any sort of political thriller could see a set up coming from a mile away....and T'Challa walks right into it and seems genuinely shocked by what happens.

There are themes and ideas in Coates run that I like and wanted to see explored. The execution of it all it just terrible. Even the most die hard fans of his series will tell you the ending was anti-climactic and sort of nonsensical given how certain characters were portrayed early on in the series.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Afro futuristic look of Wakanda in the movie is based off of Coates run.

I disagree with this here.

A lot of the look of Wakanda and its people is taken from the Hudlin and Priest runs.

The Dora Milaje uniforms are influenced by the designs from the Hudlin era:
DB7T5UoWsAAKBpS.jpg

The building architecture is taken largely from the Priest era:
1253620-thebigwjpg-684f77_1280w.jpg

wakanda-is-legit.gif

Notice the similar shapes of the buildings and the design of the rooftops?

The only design elements that appear to be taken from Coates run are some of the airships that have those weird wings and possibly the Kimoyo beads....It's also worth noting that the designs in Coates run are all from Brian Stelfreeze. Coates said himself in interviews that he wasn't familiar with Afrofuturism and all the elements of it you see in his book come from Stelfreeze.

Also I still maintain that the costume transformation is closer to teh one in Priest's run than in Coates:

$

In the Priest's run it sort of dissolves into his Panther costume. In the Coates it looks more like circuitry slowly covering him.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Other posters have went into detail on what's on the Coates run. In short, T'Challa's portrayal is why a lot of readers--especially many long time readers--have a (big) problem with Coates' run.

With that said, I recommend that you read it for yourself. Fact is, there are a lot of people who do like Coates' BP run, including some long time readers. For all we know, you may end up liking it :yeshrug:

I also do recommend, however, that you read the previous BP-related story that ties directly to season 1 of Coates run: New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and Secret Wars by Hickman. You don't need to read this story to understand what happens in the first 12 issues of Coates' run, but I feel you'll have Some context as to why certain things in the first 12 issues are happening after reading the Hickman stories.

Ironically, a lot of BP fans really liked Hickman's portrayal of T'Challa. I had a major problem with it. Go figure :manny:

Last edited:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
You think Coates or Marvel is going to bring him back? I'm honestly surpised there hasn't even been a hint of a revival at all by Marvel at this point. Probably waiting until the reception after the movie comes out.

if MBJ nails this role and proves to be a fan favorite among the audiences they might not have a choice but to exploit that newfound popularity. Marvel characters don't stay dead for long if they're popular.

MBJ could honestly add a whole new dimension to the legacy of Killmonger.

with the right writer, I think Killmonger could hold his own in a solo.

I'm pretty sure there were talks before Coates took on Black Panther about using Killmonger. They're most likely saving him for a future storyline.

I'd also like to see the return of Black Panther's "Joker" Rev. Achebe :lolbron:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Black Panther prequel comic dropped today. The story is good so far, but the art is pretty bad. The first time we see T'Challa's face he looks high as shyt, like he was hotboxing in his helmet. The action scenes are actually worse than the ones in Coates run.

We get confirmation on a few things that we've speculated and a few cool easter eggs:

- T'Challa has been Black Panther since Tony Stark debuted as Iron Man roughly 10 years ago.

- Kimoyo beads are a thing in the MCU

- Okoye only started working directly with T'Challa 10 years ago.

- T'Chaka still wants to maintain their secrecy and doesn't want T'Challa being seen. We also see a bit of the ruthless version of T'Chaka we know from the comics.

- S'Yan exists in the MCU and is head of the Wakandan Design group. Part of me thinks S'Yan ends up being one of the scientists killed in Lagos.

- Zanda aka Princess Zanda from Narobia makes an appearance as a mercenary