Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I didn't/don't know much about Anthony Mackie tbh, but this past week or so has been... interesting lol

lookin a lil funny

Mos def. Outside of promoting the movies, he needs to chill for a bit. He's slowly looking weirder and weirder in the light.

I wonder what the Marvel / Disney execs are thinking about him. Two unnecessary comments in a week.

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Mackie Says "I Don't Think It's Important" for "Black Panther" Director To Be Black

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" star Anthony Mackie says that as far as he's concerned, the race of whomever directs Marvel Studios' "Black Panther" film is irrelevant. In a recent interview, the actor stated that race has nothing to do with the ability to tell a story, and he simply hopes the best candidate wins the job.

"I don’t think it's important at all," Mackie told The Daily Beast. "As a director, your job is to tell a story. You know, they didn't get a horse to direct 'Seabiscuit!' The thing is I don't think the race of the director has to do with their ability to tell a story. I think it's all about the director's ability to be able to relate to that story and do it justice. I think men can direct women, and two of my greatest work experiences were with female directors. So I think it all depends. May the best man -- or woman -- win."

Ava DuVernay was originally offered the position of director, but declined as she and the studio couldn't see eye-to-eye on the project. "Straight Outta Compton's" F. Gary Gray was also considered before he took on "Fast and Furious 8" instead. The latest report claims Marvel Studios is pursuing "Fruitvale Station" director Ryan Coogler to helm the film.

So far, the only sure thing about "Black Panther" is its lead, Chadwick Boseman. No other actors have been cast for the film, although Andy Serkis is expected to reprise his "Avengers: Age of Ultron" role of Ulysses Klaue, a character known for being a Black Panther foe in the comics.

Black Panther will make his Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in 2016's "Captain America: Civil War" before headlining his own film on February 16, 2018.

Breh didn't need to comment on that. :beli:

Dis fukk nikka stay c00nin. :what:

Grand Eeezus Maxwell

"Time is when, God....lounge!!"
Daps
Reppin
Triple Six Mile
I hope Ant-Man falls inside his ear and hits the growth button on accident. He already sonned Falcon once, fukk this dude, b. :laff:

Mackie has lately been trying his damnedest to make sure that his Hollywood employers (and the White audience who don't give two shyts about him anyway) know that he's just another dependable "safe negro" actor that they can always rely on.

Basically.

Last edited:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
A black person doesnt need to direct Black Panther.
But hes answering a question that isnt being asked.
Theres a difference in saying that diversity behind the camera is needed and has been needed and can be incredibly helpful in hollywood and saying a non black person cant work behind the camera/scene on a movie featuring a black cast.
And saying that a black director for Black Panther could be good isnt anything wrong.
But considering this is Anthony Mackie I dont expect him to understand anything regarding race.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Why y'all acting like he doesn't have a point? Spielberg directed the color purple. Get the best director who has a creative vision for black panther. If that director happens to be black then so be it.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Why y'all acting like he doesn't have a point? Spielberg directed the color purple. Get the best director who has a creative vision for black panther. If that director happens to be black then so be it.
Im not saying he doesnt have a point and in theory I do agree with him.
The thing is that its another comment in a long string of comments from Anthony Mackie that are suspect.
And I feel as though people are missing the point when talking about the need for diversity behind the camera, which isnt to say that white people shouldnt direct or write movies about black people or other minorities but that having a minority behind the camera could help with the persepective on things or prevent Exodus style white washing (and even then a black person or other minority could get to caught up in their own agenda just like whites and mess up the end product)
So no I dont think Black Panther needs to be directed by a black person, but I can understand the people who want it to be directed by one and the same for other movies.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The thing is that its another comment in a long string of comments from Anthony Mackie that are suspect.
And I feel as though people are missing the point when talking about the need for diversity behind the camera, which isnt to say that white people shouldnt direct or write movies about black people or other minorities but that having a minority behind the camera could help with the persepective on things or prevent Exodus style white washing (and even then a black person or other minority could get to caught up in their own agenda just like whites and mess up the end product)
So no I dont think Black Panther needs to be directed by a black person, but I can understand the people who want it to be directed by one and the same for other movies.
I agree too I just think it's getting ridiculous that we're so PC that whenever a movie comes out that is related to black folks studios feel compelled to hire only a black director. I want whatever director will deliver the best film.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

They intentionally miss the point so they can dumb it down to some "reverse racism" crap. It's whatever. I've done my share of spelling it out in previous threads and IRL discussions. I still do and other times i chill b/c i know a breh is about to handle it for probably the umpteenth time lol. Props.

On an unrelated but related note: After all the negative shyt them hollywood corporate jews did and do regarding black portrayals and media representations, if they feel a lil pc pressure to not fukk up anymore... lol. Sympathy? :camby:Should've played nice from jump. :mjpls:

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
I agree too I just think it's getting ridiculous that we're so PC that whenever a movie comes out that is related to black folks studios feel compelled to hire only a black director. I want whatever director will deliver the best film.

It's more about being proud of our own, breh. Specially considerin da very small percentage of us dat have success in dat director's chair major films.

It just would be a really cool thing to have happen since it is so rare. Caint fault da brehs for thier feelings bout it. :manny:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It's more about being proud of our own, breh. Specially considerin da very small percentage of us dat have success in dat director's chair in a major film.

It just would be a really cool thing to have happen since it is so rare. Caint fault da brehs for thier feelings.
I get it but Gary Gray and Ava Duvernay already passed on it. Surprised there has been no word about Steve McQueen, then again everyone here chastises him for having a white wife. I think having talented black writers would be much more important.

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
I get it but Gary Gray and Ava Duvernay already passed on it. Surprised there has been no word about Steve McQueen, then again everyone here chastises him for having a white wife. I think having talented black writers would be much more important.

Some brehs are just sayin:

anigif_optimized-29941-1427413465-1.gif

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
He has a point. People have suddenly started acting like Black Panther is a black creation when he was created by jews and his world was established by a white dude Don Mcgregor.

I feel like they should get the best person for the job regardless of race. That Idris Elba netflix movie was great and that was directed by a black writer.