bassedk02

Pro
Supporter
Daps
He has a point. People have suddenly started acting like Black Panther is a black creation when he was created by jews and his world was established by a white dude Don Mcgregor.

I feel like they should get the best person for the job regardless of race. That Idris Elba netflix movie was great and that was directed by a black writer.

Don't get it twisted, there's a difference between the "copyright" of Black Panther and the concept of Black Pather. The story of a superhuman king ruling a prosperous and highly efficient African nation is and never was exclusive to jewish imagination. Tales of superhuman feats were a rich part of the oral tradition way way back, but those in charge would have you believe that they just invented the shyt

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
A black person doesnt need to direct Black Panther.
But hes answering a question that isnt being asked.

Exactly. I think we all agree the best person for the job should be picked. That's a given and frankly, its also besides the point.

Practically all MCU films, which have white males as leads and a majority white cast, had white directors. We rarely heard rhetoric along the lines of "was he the best person for the job" from a racial context or "they are limiting the talent pool" and so on. For the most part, the people accept the vetting process and the choices and waited to see the films before praising or criticizing the director choice.

Yet, people are now hyper-critical on the BP film's candidates because a bunch of them so far (that we know of) have been black. That's rather convenient and quite inconsistent.

How about we stop making assumptions that Marvel is suddenly passing people up anymore than before and stop the insinuation that, by possibly looking a bit more than usual at black candidates, they are not looking for the best candidate available?

The black directors that Marvel has looked into are highly qualified people who have better resumes than possibly most of the MCU directors to date. Duverney, Gary Gray, and Coogler aren't scrubs, these are top notch talents in their craft.

Last edited:

Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Exactly. I think we all agree the best person for the job should be picked. That's a given and frankly, its also besides the point.

Practically all MCU films, which have white males as leads and a majority white cast, had white directors. We rarely heard rhetoric along the lines of "was he the best person for the job" from a racial context or "they are limiting the talent pool" and so on. For the most part, the people accept the vetting process and the choices and wait to see it before praising or criticizing the director choice.

Yet, people are now hyper-critical on the BP film's candidates because a bunch of them so far (that we know of) have been black. That's rather convenient and quite inconsistent.

How about we stop making assumptions that Marvel is suddenly passing people up anymore than before and stop the insinuation that, by possibly looking a bit more than usual at black candidates, they are not looking for the best candidate available?

The black directors that Marvel has looked into are highly qualified people who have better resumes than possibly most of the MCU directors to date. Duverney, Gary Gray, and Coogler aren't scrubs, these are top notch talents in their craft.

Exactly. Coogler alone has a better resume than atleast 90% of the MCU directors. Once Creed comes out that % will only increase.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Exactly. Coogler alone has a better resume than atleast 90% of the MCU directors. Once Creed comes out that % will only increase.

Breh, The Russo brothers directing credit prior to Winter Soldier was You, Me, and Dupree, and a bunch of TV episodes. :martin:

Kenneth Branagh (great actor who even got a best director nomination in '89), after directing Hamlet, had directed a bunch of "aight" movies (at best) for years. One good movie every ten year average, yet he got to do Thor. :huhldup:

Joss Whedon, prior to The Avengers, only directed TV shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer:why:

Jon Favreau, prior to directing Iron Man, director Elf, Made, and Zathura: A Space Adventure:what:

Joe Johnston, who directed low key classics like Honey I Shrunk the kids, Jumanji, and The Rocketeer in the 90s, has directed three movies in the past decade: a wack ass blockbuster (Jurassic Park 3), a flop (Hidalgo), and a wack ass blockbuster that flopped (The Wolfman). Yet he got the gig for Captain America: The First Avenger:leostare:

James Gunn, who got a lot of props for Guardian of the Galaxy. His prior director's credit: an "ehhhh" indy movie (Super) a wack ass movie that got 4% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (Movie 43), and a few TV episodes.:childplease:

I can keep on going. Outside of Johnston and Branagh, most of their movie directing resumes are light as hell. Almost all of them had flops or movies that were panned hard or both. These guys are not GOATS, top 10, or even top 20 in their craft. They ultimately are just dudes that were given a shot by Marvel despite their resumes and/or previous failures.

No one scrutinized much their selection as directors. No one asked if getting a White male director for a movie with a white lead and majority white cast was hindering the search for "the best director for the job". Barely anyone asked if Marvel was really going through the talent pool. But now, folks wanna switch up.

Last edited:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I agree too I just think it's getting ridiculous that we're so PC that whenever a movie comes out that is related to black folks studios feel compelled to hire only a black director. I want whatever director will deliver the best film.
As long as director's of said group are in contention.
They intentionally miss the point so they can dumb it down to some "reverse racism" crap. It's whatever. I've done my share of spelling it out in previous threads and IRL discussions. I still do and other times i chill b/c i know a breh is about to handle it for probably the umpteenth time lol. Props.

On an unrelated but related note: After all the negative shyt them hollywood corporate jews did and do regarding black portrayals and media representations, if they feel a lil pc pressure to not fukk up anymore... lol. Sympathy? :camby:Should've played nice from jump. :mjpls:
:mjlol:
:camby:
Social ignorance and an inability of people to comprehend social issues is a real thing and you dismissing that because you'd rather believe in a full active conspiracy against you just so you can either hate/dismiss/and feel self righteous easier harms the education of people across the entire human spectrum of many issues.
And the point isn't necessarily missed consciously so they can dumb it down to some reverse racist crap, it's missed because coming from a non black perspective comes with other baggage and influence and experiences and feelings that open up different schools of thought to you that because people are self orientated they'll gravitate towards easier and in cases like this they'll have a subconscious/conscious desire to keep their image of the world or not do something or point out something that they believe will paint them or their experiences in a negative light.
Everyone does this across the board.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
As long as minority directors are in contention

:mjlol:
:camby:
Social ignorance and an inability of people to comprehend social issues is a real thing and you dismissing that because you'd rather believe in a full active conspiracy against you just so you can either hate/dismiss/and feel self righteous easier harms the education of people across the entire human spectrum of many issues.
And the point isn't necessarily missed consciously so they can dumb it down to some reverse racist crap, it's missed because coming from a non black perspective comes with other baggage and influence and experiences and feelings that open up different schools of thought to you that because people are self orientated they'll gravitate towards easier and in cases like this they'll have a subconscious/conscious desire to keep their image of the world or not do something that they believe will paint them or their experiences in a negative light.
Everyone does this.

It is for some of them, especially on social media and internet forums like here that are known for trolls looking to rile ppl up. That's what i was eluding to.

No shyt social ignorance is a real thing. It's why i said that i still do my due diligence in spelling it out regardless of what the intention may be, in the forums and real life discussions, instead of dismissing it without a response (unless i feel someone will bring up the point momentarily).

The rest of what you said is preaching to the choir to me.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
He has a point. People have suddenly started acting like Black Panther is a black creation when he was created by jews and his world was established by a white dude Don Mcgregor.

I feel like they should get the best person for the job regardless of race. That Idris Elba netflix movie was great and that was directed by a black writer.

Yet BP's most popular runs to this day were done by black writers. And they did it when people didn't give much of a fukk about the character. Marvel looking a bit more than usual for a black director for this project makes perfect sense.

We all want the best person regardless of their racial background, but folks need to stop acting as if they were pushing the same rhetoric when Marvel picked white people over and over again to direct their previous movies that had a white lead and a majority white cast.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Yet BP's most popular runs to this day were done by black writers. And they did it when people didn't give much of a fukk about the character. Marvel looking a bit more than usual for a black director for this project makes perfect sense.

We all want the best person regardless of their racial background, but folks need to stop acting as if they were pushing the same rhetoric when Marvel picked white people over and over again to direct their previous movies that had a white lead and a majority white cast.
There are no stats to actually prove that Priest's and Hudlin's runs are more popular than Mcgregor or Kirby's. There is a reason why Mcgregor's was well regarded since he made Wakanda more than just an empty country more so than any writer and wrote Panther's arguably most popular arc with Panthers rage. Out of the two black writers lets keep it 100 only Priest's is well regarded among fans and sold without event tie ins unlike Hudlin.

I've read every single black panther story and he's been written good and terribly by both black and white writers. The whole thing that he has to be written/directed by a black writer/director to make him good is just retarded when you look at his publishing history. Nobody was even making it a black or white thing why can't it be directed by a Latino or Asian if they had a good vision for the movie.

People already gave a shyt about Panther when Hudlin was assigned the book you know after having a critically acclaimed run and rejoining the Avengers.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
There are no stats to actually prove that Priest's and Hudlin's runs are more popular than Mcgregor or Kirby's.

Priest and Hudlin's run sold well over a million copies. If you have any stats for the previous runs, then cool, post them. If not, :yeshrug:.

There is a reason why Mcgregor's was well regarded since he made Wakanda more than just an empty country more so than any writer and wrote Panther's arguably most popular arc with Panthers rage. Out of the two black writers lets keep it 100 only Priest's is well regarded among fans and sold without event tie ins unlike Hudlin.

-BP fans who know their stuff all acknowledge McGregor's work, I'm not trying to slander it. Fact is, that run was well over 35 years ago. And to even get a copy of that run is quite difficult now (very expensive since they appear to be letting it out of print).

-Both Priest AND Hudlin were critical in bringing BP the promo and increase in fanbase he needed to get a film.

Priest got BP a critically-acclaimed run that finally got collected and Hudlin gave BP his highest-selling run (and yes, you must count the tie-ins as well, can't praise or criticize him for it and then say it doesn't count sales wise), in addition to a TV show that is well-liked to this day.

I've read every single black panther story and he's been written good and terribly by both black and white writers. The whole thing that he has to be written/directed by a black writer/director to make him good is just retarded when you look at his publishing history. Nobody was even making it a black or white thing why can't it be directed by a Latino or Asian if they had a good vision for the movie.

:snoop:Breh, no one has, at any point, said that a black person must write / direct the film. We all want the best person for the job. All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with Marvel looking a bit harder than usual at black directors this time around. If this was a latino or asian character, and Marvel were to do something similar, I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with that.

And again, where was all this when Marvel has selected white directors non-stop for majority white casts with a white lead? Barely a peep about it from fans, critics, actors, and so on.

People already gave a shyt about Panther when Hudlin was assigned the book you know after having a critically acclaimed run and rejoining the Avengers.

Yet the Priest run, despite a very good start sales wise, was struggling in sales for a minute despite the great writing and his numerous attempts to up the sales. Even after the Priest run, BP was considered a C-list character by many fans. His popularity was nowhere close to where it was prior to getting a film.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Prior to the Priest run, BP was largely forgotten, whether in terms of appearance or in terms feats. Priest himself has said this:

And it's safe to say that most people today (not the die-hard BP / comic fans) have been introduced to BP via the Priest run, Hudlin run, or some of the recent events BP was featured in.

Priest and Hudlin's run sold well over a million copies. If you have some stats for the other runs, then cool. If not, :yeshrug:.

-BP fans who know their stuff all acknowledge McGregor's work, I'm not trying to slander it. Fact is, that run was well over 30 years ago. And to even get a copy of that run is quite difficult now (very expensive since they appear to be letting it out of print).

-Do you have stats on the Panther's Rage arc?

-Both Priest AND Hudlin were critical in bringing BP the promo and increase in fanbase he needed to get a film.

Priest got BP a critically-acclaimed run that finally got collected and Hudlin gave BP his highest-selling run (and yes, you must count the tie-ins as well, can't praise or criticize him for it and then say it doesn't count sales wise), in addition to a TV show that is well-liked to this day.

:snoop:Breh, no one has, at any point, said that a black person must write / direct the film. We all want the best person for the job. All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with Marvel looking a bit harder than usual at black directors this time around. If this was a latino or asian character, and Marvel were to do something similar, I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with that.

And again, where was all this when Marvel has selected white directors non-stop for majority white casts with a white lead? Barely a peep about it from fans, critics, actors, and so on.

Yet the Priest run, despite a very good start sales wise, was struggling in sales for a minute despite the great writing and his numerous attempts to up the sales. Even after the Priest run, BP was considered a C-list character by many fans. His popularity was nowhere close to where it was prior to getting a film.
His popularity rose before the movie announcement because he was central in big books, Avengers EMH and the Hudlin motion comic really isn't anything to write home about since Spider-Woman, Inhumans, X-Men and a few other characters also go those.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
His popularity rose before the movie announcement because he was central in big books, Avengers EMH and the Hudlin motion comic really isn't anything to write home about since Spider-Woman, Inhumans, X-Men and a few other characters also go those.

Being featured in a cartoon, especially a successful and /or well promoted one, helps any character's profile. The X-Men got really big due to the cartoon.

• Dap
Reactions: flo
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Being featured in a cartoon, especially a successful and /or well promoted one, helps any character's profile. The X-Men got really big due to the cartoon.
It does but it wasn't even a popular one. It had terrible time slots before it was cancelled

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Nah I was talking about Hudlin's motion comic

Ahhh ic. the time slot issue was due BET fukkery, and only 6 episodes (which are online) were completed. They should've released elsewhere. Adult Swim would've been a great spot.

A screening of footage at Comic-Con International: San Diego in '08 garnered strong buzz. And then it just …went away.

"By the time it went into production, I had left [BET] and wound up producing the project," Hudlin said. "When the show was completed, the network had changed direction and gone in a much different direction programming-wise, going for an older, more female audience."

Since animated shows about comic book superheroes with adult themes and violence don't usually go over well with the 25-54 female demo, Black Panther was shelved. It became a turnaround victim, as many film and TV projects do in the fickle entertainment industry. An attempt to release the six completed episodes online also fell through. "This will be the first time it will actually be available in the United States, so it's a very big deal," he said.

Reginald Hudlin On the Trials of the Animated BLACK PANTHER