AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
She was born in Harlem but left with her parents when she was VERY young. She mostly grew up in Kenya and Egypt. She went back to Harlem ONCE in an X-Men comic and was never shown to ever go back. Despite usually being closer to Harlem we saw Storm go back to and spend more time in African Countries than she had ever spent time in Harlem. We saw Storm spend most of her down time with her X-Men teammates.

Within the comics Storm has been so disconnected from African Americans and African American culture that a lot of fans don't even realize she IS African American, they think she was born and raised in Kenya. Storm has typically been portrayed (intentionally or not) as a black person that doesn't actually fukk with other black people. The only exception was the period of time she was married to Black Panther, and even then black folks she was around were almost exclusively Wakandans.
When I collected she was fukkin' with Forge. But looking at Wiki he's not even Black I thought he was at the time.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Re-upping PBT's Black Panther vid.

The stuff about Roxane Gay and Coates is just too damming for me not to.

I'm all for LGBT and women in comics--Batwoman is in my Top 5 since I got back into comics back in 2011

But, I'm disappointed dude's run starts with T'Challa being neutered at the beginning

You can't be a King and a hero...Kings don't do heroic shyt :dry:

I'm confused by the video @Jazzy B.

Is he suggesting that the Dora Mijai was created by Coates? Which is super ignorant of the lore.​

Again, I think the Dora's are cool, but, the way they became the stars of the book was weird. He's right about how it became like being T'Challa's guard was beneath them. :dahell:

And I wonder if any of the other Marvel title were as "aggressively intra-sexual" as BP. That was a damn sexy book for a couple of issues.

The talker on the video is an a$$hole. But, I understand his views on Roxane Gay and Coates

It's always this way with black liberals

Give em a lil power and they doing the white man's work

:snoop: I've even stopped listening to Fan Bros after they became too liberal and defending every damn thing black liberals do as long as it's pro-woman.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I collected she was fukkin' with Forge. But looking at Wiki he's not even Black I thought he was at the time.

Yeah, Forge is Native American.

Bishop is an Australian Aborigine.

The only black people I can recall Storm being around in X-Men comics was that chick Stevie (whom Kitty called a ******) from the 80's run and Cecilia Reyes (who I vaguely recall storm being upset with because she called her "Sistah").

Like I said Storm historically hasn't fukked with other black people. Storm has been "New Black" before it was even a term.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They're dating again

Yeah, but I'm not holding out hope for that. Coates has said in the past that he was never a fan of the relationship. Given how he's written T'Challa and Storm in the past I can see him breaking them up again and somehow making it all T'Challa's fault.

Coates writes T'Challa like he's the biggest fukk up in the world.

Coates writes Storm as a person with no flaws whatsoever.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm all for LGBT and women in comics--Batwoman is in my Top 5 since I got back into comics back in 2011

But, I'm disappointed dude's run starts with T'Challa being neutered at the beginning

You can't be a King and a hero...Kings don't do heroic shyt :dry:

The first time we see T'Challa in his own book he's on his knees bleeding from his head with a collage of his greatest failures in the background.

Coates built up the Dora Milaje at T'Challa's expense. Often it felt like T'Challa was a supporting character in his own book. He also made it hard for new readers to sympathize with T'Challa because he was being portrayed as a dictator trying to maintain power while the Dora Milaje were portrayed as freedom fighting taking down sex traffickers who were allowed to run amok.

That's why the final issues of the series fell so flat with new fans who were enjoying the series. It was 11 issues of "T'Challa sucks and the Dora's are right" then all of a sudden in the final issue we get T'Challa's side of things and the Dora looked stupid for how they went about things.

Throughout an entire 12 issues T'Challa didn't have a single impressive feat or moment. Shuri got a few cool moments, the Dora Milaje got plenty of shine.....T'Challa got a new power that required him getting punched in the fukking head to work.

T'Challa is supposed to be on par with Captain America in terms of fighting skill, but there's nothing in the entirety of Coates run that would make you think T'Challa could hold his own in a fight with Sam Wilson, let alone Steve Rogers.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
@Ironman @Bigbigguy @Mic-Nificent

They announced the Crew was canceled after only issue #2, but they'll finish this first arc.

Thanks for fukking over T'Challa's comic brand Coates. Maybe ppl don't want to read about Misty, Storm, Shuri, Aneka, Ayo...

Maybe all those ppl wanted to just read about a bad ass King T'Challa that wasn't a mopey bytch 90% of the time?

But i guess it had to be learned the hard way.. :manny:

:francis:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

They announced the Crew was canceled after only issue #2, but they'll finish this first arc.

Thanks for fukking over T'Challa's comic brand Coates. Maybe ppl don't want to read about Misty, Storm, Shuri, Aneka, Ayo...

Maybe all those ppl wanted to just read about a bad ass King T'Challa that wasn't a mopey bytch 90% of the time?

fukk Coates
dA3TBWf_zpszqsfjrbd.png

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

The real fukked up thing is that in theory both WOW and The Crew spinoffs are fantastic ideas. WOW should have been a true Anthology series that explored multiple aspects of Wakandan lore and characters.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Rich Buckler will be at Eternal Con in Long Island, NY in July 1-2. If you have the Jungle action stories in any form you probably want to go. I know I'll be there with each Jungle action issue, graphic novel and marvel masterwork looking at Rich like this :shaq: Hopefully i can get a few issues signature series CGC. :yeshrug:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The real fukked up thing is that in theory both WOW and The Crew spinoffs are fantastic ideas. WOW should have been a true Anthology series that explored multiple aspects of Wakandan lore and characters.

Even though it probably wouldn't sell, I would love to seen a series that focused more on the stories of individual Wakandans and not really the royal family or anybody associated with them. I also think a series exploring the escapades of past Panthers would be great as well. It would be good world building.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I need a trailer for this ASAP.

Fred.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
i'm surprises coates is bp this way. he grew up with a pro black militant father. if he was alive he would kick him in the ass for this

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm surprises coates is bp this way. he grew up with a pro black militant father. if he was alive he would kick him in the ass for this

He said long before his run started that when it came to comics he was color blind.

Seriously yall should read/listen to the interviews he was doing before his Black Panther book came out. There were tons of red flags in those interviews about what his run would end up being. He mostly talked about what he didn't like about Black Panther, what he wanted to change, how he was a huge X-men and Spider-Man fan, and how he knew long time Black Panther fans were going to hate his run but that he didn't care.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tour Black Panther's reimagined homeland with Ta-Nehisi Coates
“I started this a) because it was cool to write comics, but b) to become one of the best comic book writers of my generation. I didn’t come here to play around.” :gucci:

If this dude don't sit the hell down with this shyt. One of the best comic book writers? GTFOH.

That a$$hole said he wanted to turn T'Challa into some kids Spider-Man. No kid is going to want anything to do with his wack ass version of T'Challa. Hell, no kid is going to make it through the first two issues of his bullshyt run.