Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I think dialogue is where Coates shines :yeshrug:

His dialogue got better overtime, but it's the overall story and pacing that's been a big issue. Too slow. #6 and even #7 slowed down the story a lot.

It would've alright if we had some dope moments of dialogue here and there as a result, but so far, it's been aight, nothing special, imho.

The notable exception to me was BP #4. No action whatsoever, but Coates' pen was on point throughout, which was well complemented by Stelfreeze and Martin's art and coloring, respectively.

After this week, he'll only have 4 issues left. I hope he decided to go all out, if not at that point, then when?

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Ryan Coogler Had Never Seen THE WALKING DEAD Before Casting Danai Gurira In BLACK PANTHER

5khdtv.jpg

To the vast majority of us, Danai Gurira is best known for playing Michonne in The Walking Dead. However, one person who didn't know the actress for her work in the hit AMC series was Black Panther director Ryan Coogler. Of course, many assumed that it was her role as Michonne which probably landed her role in the highly anticipated Marvel movie, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

"The filmmaker had never watched it," Gurira tells ComicBook.com. "I'm not saying that everyone else that was involved hadn't, but Ryan Coogler had never watched The Walking Dead. He'd watched me in something completely different. It's quite amazing to hear, but these are African women roles. He'd watched me in an independent film, Mother of George. He's never seen The Walking Dead."

The site then asked the actress how Michonne and Okoye compare, and while they're clearly going to be very different characters, it sounds like Gurira's fighting skills will definitely come in handy for Black Panther! "I'm training right now for Black Panther, and, yes, there's a lot of ways that they're extremely different. I'm learning such great, awesome new things. There's a lot of ways that, yes, one helps another. There are things about using combat that help each other. Absolutely. There's a lot of new things to learn and I'm really enjoying. There's so much new. She's a whole 'nother thing. Okoye is a whole 'nother thing." Are you guys excited to see what she brings to the table in the Marvel movie? As always, be sure to let us know your thoughts on these comments in the usual place.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Just read BP #8. That was a pretty good issue. Might honestly be the best issue so far.:leon:

-The cover for this issue.....my goodness:banderas::banderas::banderas:

c3d8550ca1.png

-Art was on point, props to Chris Sprouse and Laura Martin.:smugdraper:

-Coates' writing was actually on point. No complaints on my end.:ehh:

-Good portrayals overall. The Crew's moments were good. Same with Manifold's portrayal individually. T'Challa's portrayal was good too. His monologue was rather intriguing.

Shuri and the Griot's portrayal was on point as well. Rather touching too.

-The final Djalia story was the best one, hands down. Those familiar with West African history, you might recognize it.:myman:

-Shuri returns:blessed:

-Practically no action in this issue, but it might be for the best. Coates sucks at it lol:mjgrin:. Hopefully the action improves in the following issues.

Overall, this was a good read. I actually--to my pleasant surprise--recommend this issue. None of the weird "wtf" moments we've been seeing in some of the past issues. Just strong art, very good dialogue, and a nice conclusion to a story arc. If this type of writing continues--and we get some well-needed good actions scenes along the way--we might just be alright. Looking forward to issue #9.:obama:

Last edited:

teacher

All Star
Daps

Overall, this was a good read. I actually--to my pleasant surprise--recommend this issue. None of the weird "wtf" moments we've been seeing in some of the past issues. Just strong art, very good dialogue, and a nice conclusion to a story arc. If this type of writing continues--and we get some well-needed good actions scenes along the way--we might just be alright. Looking forward to issue #9.:obama:

What did I tell you :blessed:

I also believe this issue tied up all the 'wtf' moments like you call it....T'challa couldn't face himself for what happened to Shuri and then Wakanda on the verge of collapse after all the sh!t he's just been through....any HUMAN is going to question himself IMHO. I know Priest likes to have T'challa 50 steps ahead of everybody but that isn't realistic in every situation and Hudlin has T'challa as the African shaft :mjgrin: low key I like Mcgregor's dikk head ruler t'challa the best ATM minus the simping of Monica(might be biased because I'm in the middle of reading the panthers rage graphic novel).

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
What did I tell you :blessed:

I also believe this issue tied up all the 'wtf' moments like you call it....T'challa couldn't face himself for what happened to Shuri and then Wakanda on the verge of collapse after all the sh!t he's just been through....any HUMAN is going to question himself IMHO. I know Priest likes to have T'challa 50 steps ahead of everybody but that isn't realistic in every situation and Hudlin has T'challa as the African shaft :mjgrin: low key I like Mcgregor's dikk head ruler t'challa the best ATM minus the simping of Monica(might be biased because I'm in the middle of reading the panthers rage graphic novel).

Just to clarify, I absolutely agree with you on the bold, and even the premise that Wakanda would go through some shyt after everything that went down purely off the Hickman run alone. (not even counting Deadliest of the Species, Doomwar, and AvX). T'Challa went through some crazy shyt during that run, especially on a personal level.

The weird shyt to me were the rape camps and the meeting of #5. The camps were supposed to represent some fukked up ppl taking advantage of the situation (which happens unfortunately), but that was a major operation though. How the monarchy didn't know about it is beyond me. Plus, it basically hasn't been touched on since #3, so its almost a leftover plotline that seems to have been dropped. Did the MAs handle that? Are there more elsewhere? It wasn't told on panel.

The meeting was just :wtf:. I mean, I get that a head of state would have meetings with some fukked up folks, that's part of the game. But to have those people in Wakandan soil, when the Wakandan streets are looking at you funny about your foreign connects? That was weird shyt right there:ld:

Nonetheless, #8 was def an improvement and a good issue. I have little to no complaints.

Stelfreeze coming back in issue 9, the art is gonna be lit:banderas:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just read BP #8. That was a pretty good issue. Might honestly be the best issue so far.:leon:

-The cover for this issue.....my goodness:banderas::banderas::banderas:

-Art was on point, props to Chris Sprouse and Laura Martin.:smugdraper:

-Coates' writing was actually on point. No complaints on my end.:ehh:

-Good portrayals overall. The Crew's moments were good. Same with Manifold's portrayal individually. T'Challa's portrayal was good too. His monologue was rather intriguing.

Shuri and the Griot's portrayal was on point as well. Rather touching too.

-The final Djalia story was the best one, hands down. Those familiar with West African history, you might recognize it.:myman:

-Shuri returns:blessed:

-Practically no action in this issue, but it might be for the best. Coates sucks at it lol:mjgrin:. Hopefully the action improves in the following issues.

Not gonna read the Spoiler but for the love of GOD please tell me they touched upon how T-Challa could bring everyone back with the Infinity Gem but had such trouble with Shuri. And did they explain how T-Challa can remain as King now that Shuri has returned?

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Not gonna read the Spoiler but for the love of GOD please tell me they touched upon how T-Challa could bring everyone back with the Infinity Gem but had such trouble with Shuri. And did they explain how T-Challa can remain as King now that Shuri has returned?

Feel free to read the spoiler, it's just the BP #8 cover in spoiler tags. Didn't want to take too much space in the post. I edited my post to show it without the tags.

As for your questions:

-It does give a clearer explanation on how Shuri got captured and why T'Challa wasn't able to free her earlier. The infinity gems weren't mentioned. And in fairness to Coates, he wasn't told about how Secret Wars was going to end, when he was writing the script. I do think the explanation given on why T'Challa wasn't able to bring her back earlier managed to be a sufficient workaround concerning this issue, however.

-Concerning T'Challa being King while Shuri's around: we'll find out in #9 and def by #10.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Just to clarify, I absolutely agree with you on the bold, and even the premise that Wakanda would go through some shyt after everything that went down purely off the Hickman run alone. (not even counting Deadliest of the Species, Doomwar, and AvX). T'Challa went through some crazy shyt during that run, especially on a personal level.

The weird shyt to me were the rape camps and the meeting of #5. The camps were supposed to represent some fukked up ppl taking advantage of the situation (which happens unfortunately), but that was a major operation though. How the monarchy didn't know about it is beyond me. Plus, it basically hasn't been touched on since #3, so its almost a leftover plotline that seems to have been dropped. Did the MAs handle that? Are there more elsewhere? It wasn't told on panel.

The meeting was just :wtf:. I mean, I get that a head of state would have meetings with some fukked up folks, that's part of the game. But to have those people in Wakandan soil, when the Wakandan streets are looking at you funny about your foreign connects? That was weird shyt right there:ld:

Nonetheless, #8 was def an improvement and a good issue. I have little to no complaints.

Stelfreeze coming back in issue 9, the art is gonna be lit:banderas:

setting up, his enemies :ohhh:.....:yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
setting up, his enemies :ohhh:.....:yeshrug:

Shiiieett, I hope so! Cuz if not....wtf he thinking agreeing to that meeting in general...and then have it in Wakanda?!:mindblown:

Hopefully this season ends mad strong, that way I can eventually disregard that meeting :hubie: