Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
agreed about the agenda, but a lot of these tweets from writers (at least in the marvel camp) seem more antagonistic that excited.

Antagonistic towards their detractors? Somewhat, yea. Roxane Gay in particular goes too far, too often imho. I wonder how she'll deal with detractors of this book as time goes on. We're already seeing some of it. Coates is much better at reacting to it than her, that's for sure.

Another quick thing about agendas, to add on to what I've said earlier: every BP writer had an agenda. Stan, Kirby, McGregor, Priest, Hudlin, you name it. They all did. Some were slick with it and masked it via good writing (Priest) and others were really overt with it, no fux given (Hudlin). But Coates and Roxane Gay def aren't the first, nor will they be the last to have an agenda they want to push via the BP book.

Whether or not this current agenda is a positive one for BP mythos remains to be seen, especially concerning how it's being employed.

That said, these days don't beat the Hudlin days when it comes to backlash and fukkery. Breh, shyt was beyond lit back then :russ:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Social justice warriors who don't give a shyt about the character and simply see him as this Jesus Shuttlesworth to take advantage of.
Ol 'Oh he a cash cow now, lets spend his fame advocating our personal agendas' ass mufukkas. :camby:

Yo, you brought up a point that def cannot be overlooked.

It's becoming quite evident that a lot of these new folks riding the BP wave (not all, shout out to the new folks genuinely enjoying the experience) didn't fukk with BP and his mythos back then not because they didn't know who he was, but because he wasn't "cool" enough according to the mainstream.

But suddenly, due to his MCU appearance, the 300k BP #1 sales, and Coates' inclusion of certain elements that they deem acceptable, here they come, d-riding the wave and simultaneously trying to push a certain narrative about T'Challa, Wakanda, and his supporting characters, even though BP's publication history goes again said narrative (they obviously don't care about that). Doesn't help at all that Coates has opened the floodgates for said narrative, whether he realizes it or not.

They don't care for the mythos, just their personal agendas. And rather than channeling them through a mythos that fits, a lot of them are using the BP mythos to make it happen.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
#5 had one panel that I think applies to this election, at this point.

2c72be652d.png

'Nuff said.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I guess Feige wasn't kidding when he called BP a "geo-political action adventure" movie. Sounds like he's traveling to Asia.

Singapore was one of the rumored filming locations, if I remember correctly. They going global with this one.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Yo, you brought up a point that def cannot be overlooked.

It's becoming quite evident that a lot of these new folks riding the BP wave (not all, shout out to the new folks genuinely enjoying the experience) didn't fukk with BP and his mythos back then not because they didn't know who he was, but because he wasn't "cool" enough according to the mainstream.

But suddenly, due to his MCU appearance, the 300k BP #1 sales, and Coates' inclusion of certain elements that they deem acceptable, here they come, d-riding the wave and simultaneously trying to push a certain narrative about T'Challa, Wakanda, and his supporting characters, even though BP's publication history goes again said narrative (they obviously don't care about that). Doesn't help at all that Coates has opened the floodgates for said narrative, whether he realizes it or not.

They don't care for the mythos, just their personal agendas. And rather than channeling them through a mythos that fits, a lot of them are using the BP mythos to make it happen.
This is what I'm afraid of is really happening. Some white people are just jumping on this and seeing this weaker non stable Black Panther as the main version of him. Rape camps,:dwillhuh: country in shambles,:dwillhuh: the gawd getting sonned consistently in his own series:why:Black Excellence NOT being 12 steps ahead is the version that's being pushed in the comics :mjgrin:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Anyone read World of Wakanda yet? :lupe:

Read it

There are 2 stories in it the Dora's with Ayo and Aneka and Zenzi. The Dora's story has a lot of flirting between the 2 Aneka is the Captain schooling the Doras. It takes place right before Namor floods wakanda, the issue leaves off with Namor flooding wakanda. Zenzi's is an origin story I guess you can say and documents how and why she came to Wakanda. Both stories low key push girl power/sh!t on men but it isn't crazy...yet anyway...I'm in for issue 2 regardless :yeshrug:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Antagonistic towards their detractors? Somewhat, yea. Roxane Gay in particular goes too far, too often imho. I wonder how she'll deal with detractors of this book as time goes on. We're already seeing some of it. Coates is much better at reacting to it than her, that's for sure.

Another quick thing about agendas, to add on to what I've said earlier: every BP writer had an agenda. Stan, Kirby, McGregor, Priest, Hudlin, you name it. They all did. Some were slick with it and masked it via good writing (Priest) and others were really overt with it, no fux given (Hudlin). But Coates and Roxane Gay def aren't the first, nor will they be the last to have an agenda they want to push via the BP book.

Whether or not this current agenda is a positive one for BP mythos remains to be seen, especially concerning how it's being employed.

That said, these days don't beat the Hudlin days when it comes to backlash and fukkery. Breh, shyt was beyond lit back then :russ:

I'm glad I wasn't posting on boards when his shyt was out. His run was up there with bloodlines, cy-gor, and identity crisis of comics that got me so pissed I threw them in the fukking trash.