nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Philly brehs and brehettes, Coates is gonna be in Amalgam comics in Philly to speak about the BP comic.

Ta-Nehisi Coates to Talk Black Panther and More at Amalgam Comics

t_coates_credit_gabriella_demzuk-642x336.jpg

If you’re a fan of the current Black Panther comics and are excited for the upcoming solo film, then you are most likely a huge fan of writer and journalist, Ta-Nehisi Coates. With Coates at the helm of the Marvel comic series, Black Panther became one of the best-selling comics that Marvel had and helped the character have a resurgence in mainstream popularity. Ryan Coogler, director of the upcoming Black Panther film is a huge fan of the series and stated the movie will draw inspiration from Coates’ writing for Marvel. Amalgam Comics & Coffeehouse is hosting Coates for a Q&A moderated by accomplished illustrator, Eric Battle. And what better place is there for this conversation to happen?! This is your chance to get to hear from one of the most renowned writers in the world right now.

Black Panther Q&A with Ta-Nehisi Coates
Amalgam Comics & Coffeehouse, 2578 Frankford Avenue
Wednesday, October 26 @ 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Grab your tickets before they sell out!

I was gonna go but I'll be at work.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Am I the only one who wants a suit upgrade in the movie.

Upgrade or not I hope this movie features more "night shots" of Black Panther.

Its the same way for Batman. It just looks better at night than in the morning.

Civil War just gave me too many Black Ranger vibes :patrice:

Black Ranger = That dude :jawalrus:

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
"leader" as in an important figure in Wakandan society? I think that's the direction the story appears to go, even though she won't be Queen this time around, I think.

If I was off in assessing you post, lemme know breh.
I mean like a spiritual leader & advisor... Keep him on point... Give him council... Just a pillar to the King....

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just finished issue 7...

The dialogue between Tetu and Changamaire is disjointed as hell. I actually thought I missed a page because the conversation literally jumps from one extreme to the next with no transition.

The Crew introduction was dissapointing. You get Luke Cage, Manifold, Storm, and Misty in the same room....and NOTHING cool happens? It didn't even FEEL like they were fighting a credible force.

Shuri's needs to awaken soon. The conversations between her and Avatar Ramonda are getting repetitive and they are pushignht e exact same. Essays with each parable they tell each other.

All in all this was a really underwhelming issue.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Just finished issue 7...

The dialogue between Tetu and Changamaire is disjointed as hell. I actually thought I missed a page because the conversation literally jumps from one extreme to the next with no transition.

The Crew introduction was dissapointing. You get Luke Cage, Manifold, Storm, and Misty in the same room....and NOTHING cool happens? It didn't even FEEL like they were fighting a credible force.

Shuri's needs to awaken soon. The conversations between her and Avatar Ramonda are getting repetitive and they are pushignht e exact same. Essays with each parable they tell each other.

Haven't read the issue yet, but I feared that, like #6, the story would be dragging it's feet again till #8, when the second arc ends.

Will give my review once I read the issue.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Just finished issue 7...

Read #7. It was alright. Def not a bad issue, but not as good as it could've been, imho.

-The Crew scenes: not as dynamic or explosive as I hoped, which is unfortunate being that the new Crew was a big draw of this issue.

-A lot of Changamire in this issue. Changamire's convo with Tetu and Zenzi was solid, overall.

-T'Challa's portrayal was fine.

-Shuri scenes: another story in the Djalia. The story itself was actually very good imho, perhaps the best one so far, but I can see ppl wondering again what is the point of all this.

However, I think I get the point of them, especially after this latest Djalia story:

I think the stories foreshadow Shuri's upcoming powerset once she comes back.

In any case, her Djalia journey looks like it'll finally wrap up in #8.

Overall, the issue was ok. Could've been better though.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
#7 didn't feel as crazy as anticipated as @Ziggiy points out. But maybe they're saving the huge bang out for later. It was more of a surprise manuever to catch Stane off guard and clean sweep him more than anything potentially "cool" to pull off. Can't lie that I'm not a little let down.

Maybe this is indicative of Coates saying he is not good at writing action scenes?

The fact that Coates has these black superheroes together at all is already a plus by itself though. I can guarantee and already see it won't be a missed opportunity like The Ultimates.

And T'challa beating down Stane hands tied behind his back is indeed the best part of this issue. :jawalrus:

No one can say he took an L or was "emasculated" here.

Just finished issue 7...

I liked the dialogue between Tet and "Baba", though. The dialogue looks the same it's always been the way Coates writes them.

Shuri should be waking up soon, I believe. Next issue is about the The Djalia. I think #9 is when she fully comes back.

But the yeah the pacing of 2 arcs we've had so far are very reminicient of each other.

However, I think I get the point of them, especially after this latest Djalia story:

I think the stories foreshadow Shuri's upcoming powerset once she comes back.

I think you're right about that. :leon:

But yeah I think the verdict on this one is that The Crew entrance could have been more bombastic and one for the history books.

I'm really liking Tetu as the antagonist though. I find his ideology and convictions commendable and cool and giving a true opposition to what we believe and cherish about T'challa.

"we burn down the house -- with the robber inside." :wow:

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Just finished issue 7...

Yeah...and I just finished. After reading this one, I'm dropping this one. I do want to see
Shuri's return and new powerset.
but I just can't do this for now. Shuri & Ramonda's story could've been told in 2 issues...or at least 1 page per issue since it dragged on for this long. We get it. This is the longest I've stuck with a book I wasn't feeling, so I'll let y'all tell me if I should hop back on. I should've copped A-Force instead.

Also, "The Crew" was pointless if they werem't gonna do anything. I forgot Manifold was there until the namedrop. Coates hates action scenes, it can't be denied any longer. I think he would've done better with The Illuminati or The Cabal

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yeah...and I just finished. After reading this one, I'm dropping this one. I do want to see
Shuri's return and new powerset.
but I just can't do this for now. Shuri & Ramonda's story could've been told in 2 issues...or at least 1 page per issue since it dragged on for this long. We get it. This is the longest I've stuck with a book I wasn't feeling, so I'll let y'all tell me if I should hop back on. I should've copped A-Force instead.

Also, "The Crew" was pointless if they werem't gonna do anything. I forgot Manifold was there until the namedrop. Coates hates action scenes, it can't be denied any longer. I think he would've done better with The Illuminati or The Cabal

I'd suggest coming back around BP #9, when Shuri returns to Wakanda. It's also the start of the final arc.

Weird that Shuri's return is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to so far.